PDA

View Full Version : Noobie looking for the must read threads....any suggestions?

Manns50
07-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Hi as stated I'm a noobie and Ive browsed some of the sticky threads and I can already tell I'm at the right place. Just thought if anyone had a link to a thread thats a "must" read send her my way. Lol looking forward to a new hobby that consumes me....Ive already been bitten I think!
Thanks!

btroj
07-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Must reads? Hard to say.

Start with stickies. Look at things about fit first and foremost.

What gun and cartridge are you planning to cast for? Rifle and handgun are similar yet different in needs. Understand that each gun is a unique situation and there is no one size fits all answer. Don't plan to start off with max loads and get good results, shooting cast is about learning. Be prepared to scrub lead from a bore, it is part of the learning process- there are threads on that too.

Know anyone in your area that casts? A mentor can speed the learning process like you can't imagine.

Best advice- stick to the basics. Don't try for high velocity loads. Don't fret over alloy BHn. Pick a good lube and use it, don't try to home brew with stuff you have around the house. Use common sense, it can't prevent lots of bad stuff like burns. Sizing diameter matters more than about anything else, make it too small and it will lead. Always.

Whatever you do don't ever give up trying or learning. I have been doing this for 30 years and am still leading new things. Observe what happens and try to find out why it happened.

dsbock
07-19-2013, 08:28 AM
The best must read is From Ingot to Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm) by Glen Fryxell.

You can also download and print the PDF version (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf) to keep handy.

Everything after that is just gravy.

Good luck and stay safe.

David

ku4hx
07-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Read all the stickies, then search for the topics that interest you most or interest you first. Got to start somewhere since you can't read it all simultaneously.

runfiverun
07-19-2013, 09:55 AM
as a new caster you need to concentrate on learning how to cast before anything else.
this means practice casting.
reading about it and doing it are 2 different things, except by reading about it you have those little awwww that's what they meant moments.

here are the answers to your first 2 questions.
1. no you didn't clean it enough.
and.
2. you need a little more heat in the mold.

the rest is in the timing, cadence, and how you fill the mold.

Reloader06
07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
dsbock+1^

KYShooter73
07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
As a relative noob to casting myself...do what the guys above told you. Only thing I will add is that tin is an expensive but wonderful thing.

MtGun44
07-19-2013, 07:08 PM
+1 on Run5Run!

Bill

Manns50
08-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks to everyone that commented have been busy researching topics and questions that pop in my head as I approach the process. I do have a mentor that has helped me a lot...pointed me in the direction of this site and let me try my hand at it. Think the only rounds I was able to keep was the ones he did showing me the process. Have purchased almost all the equip I need to start casting....gonna try and find the beeswax/alox mix tomorrow to prep my new mold try and break it in start getting some experience. Really enjoy reloading and learning this aspect of it as I love tinkering.

geargnasher
08-21-2013, 01:11 AM
For casting tips, read up on fluxing with sawdust (search the alloy section for threads or read chapter 4 of From Ingot To Target so your alloy is good and decontaminated to start with, then read the sticky thread in the mould sub-forum regarding mould lubrication techniques using Bullplate sprue plate lube or a good, bull-synthetic two-cycle engine premix oil. Also, degrease your mould cavities really well and don't get any oil or wax in them.

Then fire up the pot, note temperature where the alloy goes fully liquid, add another 100 degrees, and keep it there. Get to casting. It will take a while for the mould to get hot enough to work well, and you might have to cast really fast for a while. You'll know when it's right when the boolits are fully filled out. The rest is stuff you'll get to learn by doing and asking questions about what you've observed or problems you've encountered. Most of us could explain every conceivable detail of the process to you, the minute corrections made on-the-fly to pour technique, flow adjustment, mould angle, sprue-cut cadence, etc, but that would be like trying to explain how to drive a car to someone who's only ridden on a bus before. Using clean alloy at the right temperature removes all variables except technique, timing, and weather, so you have less to second-guess about when learning how to handle the mould.

That'll get you started, good luck!

Gear

Bzcraig
08-21-2013, 03:08 AM
+1 on what R5R stated.
Follow instructions, except Lee mold instructions. Read all Lee mold stickeys.
Clean your mold, yeah it's dirty when you get it
Cast using a thermometer or PID
Work up your alloy heat like working up a good boolit load
Read, read, read
Practice, practice, practice
Enjoy casting not just the destination
Have fun
Welcome aboard

MtGun44
08-22-2013, 01:27 PM
If y ou are loading for 9mm Luger, this may be helpful.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

Lots of other good stickies - just browse and pick your topic.

Bill