PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried "One Shot" case lube on boolits? just askin'

guicksylver
07-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Don't know if this is a dumb question or not.
Saw the bottle sitting there and just wondered "what if".
Good for cases maybe boolits too?!

btroj
07-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Since most of the spray lubes are lanolin based it isn't anything really new. Many lubes contain lanolin. Great lube, poor handling as a bullet lube.

williamwaco
07-18-2013, 09:31 PM
No.

It is not even good for cases.

Try Hornady or Imperial sizing wax and you will see what I mean.

Love Life
07-18-2013, 09:51 PM
It sucks as a case lube so I highly doubt it would be any good as a bullet lube.

Grump
07-19-2013, 04:00 AM
No lanolin in One Shot.

However, it DOES work just fine as a case lube, and I have even formed a few 6.5 Creedmoors out of .308s (Lapua cases, no less). It's just not forgiving of inadequate pre-spray shaking OR skimpy-Scotch-cheap under-application. Your clue is a bit more resistance when the case is halfway into the sizer die. I stuck 3 cases that way before learning its capabilities.

I like it a LOT better than the RCBS alcohol-dissolved squirt spray lube.

I started with the old stamp pad and super-gummy RCBS case lube way back when. Used a friend's Imperial stuff at least once or twice. Would rather just grab cases rather than smear 'em like a hoo-- nevermind.

Back to the OP's Q: I'm not sure that One Shot would do for anything other than immediate type use. IME, it evaporates or combines with atmospheric gases or something in a day or two of exposed to the air and loses almost all of its lubricity. I wouldn't trust that to be prevented by clamping the lubed bullets into a case neck. Slows but does not eliminate it, would be my guess.

freebullet
07-19-2013, 04:48 AM
I used it to lube boolits before putting them in a lee push through sizer. Didn't want to wait fer tumble lube to dry before sizing. I did shoot a handful with one shot as the primary lube in 9mm. It left a wierd lead wash in the barrel. Not like standard leading but a definate wash of lead was left behind. I don't even use it as case lube anymore because it takes waaaaayyy too much for the cost. Lanolin in alcohol is far superior. I am gunna try a few boolits in 9&38spl with lanolin/alcohol spray as primary spray on boolit lube just for fun.

cs86
07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
I use it when I'm doing a smaller batch of sizing. I think for the cost for the spray its not worth using, but when I do use it I like it. Preferably I use 45/45/10 since it dries quick and leaves less of a mess.

guicksylver
07-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Guys! I wasn't thinking of using it as a primary lube, but rather as a nose lube for the bore riders.
From the replies I don't think it would even be of any use for that.
I've actually found that it works great in my d550 for pistol cases.
Not for full length resizing of even 30-30 never mind 30-06.
Good ol' RCBS and pad there. Thanks again.