PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Effective BP 12 gauge Project

Crimson23Locke
07-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Goal: The absolute most utilitarian (cheap and effective) way to shoot various cast projectiles (birdshot, buckshot, slugs, and round ball) out of a modern smooth bore shotgun using homemade black powder.

This project is actually a combination of various projects I've seen online. I'm hoping I can make decent powder at a fraction of the cost of commercial powder, cast shot/slug/ball at a fraction of the cost of the commercial stuff, and reuse the all-brass hulls enough to warrant their slightly exorbitant cost. I will be buying commercial large pistol primers.

The Powder: (100 parts saltpeter : 24 parts charcoal)

I've read that the main difference between Sulfur BP vs non Sulfur BP is the temperature required for ignition; in a brass hull with modern large pistol primers I would think that ignition temperature would not be much of an issue? Would a cut 2 x 4 x 8 of pine from home depot serve as a decent substitute to young willow branches? Would a no-sulfur powder be less corrosive?

Source: http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/homemade_bp.html

I've seen DIY ball mill projects on the cheap and know to use only pure lead for the 'balls' as it were (no sparks on collision = no explosion = good) Would it be worth it to try making one of these instead grinding with mortar & pestle?

Load Data: I've read that equal volumes of shot & powder is the traditional ratio in black powder shot shells, but I've also read that in the recipe I have the density is just a little over half that of a commercial product (industrial mills trump mortar and pestle). Any advice on loads with homemade BP?

I plan on getting a little cheapo Lee Load-all for this as I've seen some people loading these all brass hulls by hand. (MacGuyvering it) I've read Dixie Gun Works makes some good/cheap (lubed?) patches, sodium silicate is a great sealant, and I'm most likely going to get the BuffaloArms hulls. http://www.buffaloarms.com/Shotgun_Reloading_Brass_it-161406.aspx?CAT=3832

The Projectiles: Good molds? What do you use to cast your shot/ball/slugs? What alloys if any work well? Are wheel weights okay? (I'd assume not for round ball or even slugs, but shot?)

The Gun: Most likely going to be a Mossberg 500 with 20" barrel. I also have an old bolt action 28" smoothbore I might try it on, but I'm not sure if it has a choke. Should I consider a different shotgun with my goal in mind? I think I've seen a vid of someone using similar 2 1/2 inch brass shells in a Mossy pump-action but I'm not sure. Will they cycle? Will the BP dirty up the action? (I'm not afraid of lots of cleaning) Do I need to get (or remove) chokes for different loads?

Will this blow up in my face?

Sorry for the tirade of questions, but I'd really appreciate any feedback on any part of the project. If anyone else is interested I can post the results of any progress I make.

Thanks!

Crimson

John Boy
07-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Have a good time but by the time you assemble and make the powder - you could be shooting yesterday ...
Skirmish
#1 1 pound cans
5 lb. lot: $20.25 per lb.
10 lb. lot: $15.20 per lb.
25 or 50 lb. lot: $11.80 per lb.
Price includes shipping and hazmat

A square 3 dram load of this FA powder is all I have used for my shotguns

bigted
07-19-2013, 11:20 AM
AND ... welcome to the forum !!! I am anxious to read about your adventures as well. I have not loaded blackpowder in a shotgun for way too many years to remember what my process was but it is simple.

as for the action ... I shoot marlins in 38-55 and 45-70 as well as 444 and never get much fouling in the action area and what little does get into there is nullified with the copious spray of 'outers gun oil AND it makes my levers smell rite after the cleaning. I do the same with my single action revolvers and black ... to include my cap n ball's which do get some fouling in the action but the spray oil gets it to a stage that no harm is done ... when I do pull them down I can just wipe the black oily stuff rite off the parts and inside of the action but this is from many shooting outings over sometimes a year between times ... never had a rust issue in there.

DO have fun and I would like to read about your adventures... again a very hearty WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

cpileri
07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
where are you finding these prices?
C-

Have a good time but by the time you assemble and make the powder - you could be shooting yesterday ...
Skirmish
#1 1 pound cans
5 lb. lot: $20.25 per lb.
10 lb. lot: $15.20 per lb.
25 or 50 lb. lot: $11.80 per lb.
Price includes shipping and hazmat

A square 3 dram load of this FA powder is all I have used for my shotguns

gandydancer
07-19-2013, 12:05 PM
where are you finding these prices?
C-

really?

cpileri
07-19-2013, 12:49 PM
yes, really.
am i missing something that is otherwise obvious or common knowledge?

Its happened before...

C-

creatinewarrior
07-19-2013, 01:01 PM
i would skip the part about making your own powder, just get some pyrodex at the store, or black powder if you want.itll be safer,more consistent, and it comes already made.

***OK lets talk about an economical black powder shotgun project. i know all about that. Just get an old pre-98 Husqvarna or Belgium double barrel underlever 12 or 16 gauge for around 150-200 dollars from Simpsons. get a 12 gauge, check it out,usually theyre in good shape.fix it if you have to with a little screwdriver.saw the barrels of the right way with tape and a fine blade hacksaw a couple inches forward of the sling swivel. use a dremel,a fine metal file,and sand paper to get it smooth. take some brake cleaner and degrease the gun.then wash it with warm water and a blue soap-caked scrubby pad.dry it.sand it all over with fine sandpaper.150 grit ok. wipe off.
spray coat with Brownells Aluma-Hyde 2 or Duracoat color of your choice.let cure couple days. get some fiber optic tru-glo gobbledot sights and stick on. Go to Ballistic products and get all your 2.5 " hulls,overpowder cards,and slugs. start at 60-70 grains powder and work up. Voila! now you have a camo'd up double barrel slug gun, good to about 40 yards maybe 50 maybe more depends on you.