PDA

View Full Version : Survival Ax

KCSO
07-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Last week I was at Dean's and here he was trying to split a 6 foot elm log for bow staved and he was pounding a cheap aluminum handled hatchet into the log with predictible results. When he broke off the handle he gave me the head and cussed because the AX was no good. I assume every hatchet from the factory is warranted for beating on with an 8 pound sledge and prying the aliuminum handle with a pipe?

So I took the head home and cleaned out the hole the handle was pressed in and turned a small shank to fit the hole and turned the other end to fit a chunk of 12 Ga barrel. 12" long. I turned a brass plug for the other end and welded the head and shank to the barrel section after I pressed them together. I cleaned up the welds and reground the blade where it had hit other wedges in the log and bead blasted and painted the blade. As the french say wallah! A nice camping and survival hatchet for just a little work. The handle is wraped with 50 feet of para cord for a good grip and can be removed for use as a line. The hollow handle holds a gooodamount of whatever you need to carry and the o ringed brass butt cap keeps everything dry. Now I have a nice testicle ax for chopping down bad guys swimming in the Bazille creek, or a good hatchet to keep clamped in the canoe for cutting set line poles.

w5pv
07-18-2013, 03:31 PM
The show Naked an Afraid has constestants that could use a survial ax like that with a hollow handle where they could hide contraband.

1Shirt
07-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Tain't pretty Jim, but I think it is just about the cats a$$ for efficiency!
1Shirt!

Artful
07-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the holder - I think it looks great - Very good idea and execution.

jmort
07-20-2013, 10:52 AM
"Beauty is in the eye of the holder - I think it looks great - Very good idea and execution."

+1

357maximum
07-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I like it alot...good job. I have broken a few "camp" axes that way myself. One simply cannot appreciate the tenacity of ELM until one tries to split a 6-7 foot log of it into bowstaves. It is one of them things you have to DO to KNOW.....white oak is just a tiny bit "EASIER". My stave making kit is a bunch of wedges and several short handled hammers/axe "made" from full sized axes/sledge hammers. Stave making is rough on tools.

Cosmiceyes
07-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Now I know what to do with that old cheap hatchet just like it!(mine's not broke,but I like making things better) Really looks good,and very functional.
:brokenima

jeepyj
07-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Exactly the type of projects that I enjoy. I love to pick up old or broken items and make a project that should last a lifetime and cannot be purchased. Plus one for me as well.
Jeepyj