PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy

DLeeHarley
07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Hey all I've got a question about accuracy. I just got off the phone with S&W's customer service. They said that my M&P FS .40SW (Mfgr. Date 7-23-12) has a twist rate of 1 in 18.75 and that they changed it in early Dec.12, to 1 in 10. He stated that they started being avalible in Feb. 13. So my question is would it (a 1 in 10) make my weapon more accurate for target and bullseye shooting? Or would I not even be able to notice it? I realize it's perfect for SD and HD, but I want it to be as good as I can be and know that if it's off, that it's me not my weapon. Thanks & Later
Dennis
"Those who talk, Don't Do. Those who do, Don't Talk."

Piedmont
07-19-2013, 11:16 AM
The slower twist (1-18) will be better for accuracy and better for both accuracy and velocity with cast bullets. Your older twist is the one to have.

Changeling
07-20-2013, 03:02 PM
I know nothing about the .40 SW. However for the factory (SW) to change the twist rate from 1 in 18.75 to 1 in 10" is a Hell of a big change in any caliber!
If I were you I would call SW and ask why the change to the faster twist. Explain to them exactly what bullets you are running in competition or your regular shooting.
That much of a change relates to definite stabilization issues or they (factory) would not have done it!!

MtGun44
07-23-2013, 01:17 AM
A friend with a house FULL of handgun trophies for PPC and Sillywet ALWAYS
adds a fast twist barrel to his S&W revolvers, says the original twist is WAY too
slow for .38 Spl and .357 Mag.

Bill

John Taylor
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
At one time S&W used 18.5" for all their hand guns, 38,44 and 45. Might be OK for the longer barrels but the short barrel should be a little faster.

DLeeHarley
07-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys for your answers and I have another question. For a real experenced shooter if I were to change the barrels during a reload without them seeing me, would they be able to tell the difference between the two different twists? And between the two (1 in18.75" & 1 in 10") which would you choose to shoot with and why? Again I want the weak points to be me not my weapon. Unfortunatly so far I'm getting my Wish LOL. Maybe I should just pick up the new one and decide from there. Thanks again guys. Later,

Dennis
"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand!"