PDA

View Full Version : Lee 32 ACP FCD Vs Lee 32 S&W FCD

RobsTV
07-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Lee makes a custom FCD for 32 ACP, which I needed for my tight .309 slugged CZ 27.

Have now started reloading 32 H&R Magnum. Used some old commercial cast .313 78gr lead (unsized) and the Lee 32 ACP dies properly adjusted for 32 H&R, and quick test firing was O.K.. But, was unable to get a roll crimp using the Lee 32 ACP seating/crimp die. Tried crimping in separate step using the custom Lee 32 ACP FCD, with nice roll crimp created, and pulled bullets measured .311 to .312, so a little swagging was done, but seeing as my largest Lyman sizing die is .312 anyway.... Tried knocking out the carbide ring and no luck, stopping before I damaged the die.

Ordered the Lee mold TL314-90-SWC and I see for less than $15 I can get the Lee FCD for 32 long/H&R. Unlike the prior commercial lead, these will most likely need sized using the .312 sizer.

Is the only difference between the Lee 32 ACP custom FCD and 32 S&W/H&R FCD the length of case they were designed for, and otherwise identical carbide ring? Hoping the 32 H&R being designed for roll crimp and rimmed cartridge will not size, or at least not size as much as semi-auto cartridges.

texassako
07-18-2013, 11:06 AM
The 2 cases are very close to the same diameter, and I think I would have asked Lee if they use the same carbide ring. Did you try the regular Lee seating/crimp die as a separate step set up just for crimping? I barely crimp .32 ACP, just remove any case flare and a bit of taper to help prevent any setback. I use the Lee seater/crimp die reset to crimp only.