PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag in 444 Marlin question.

10x
07-18-2013, 12:20 AM
Got an interesting question from a friend with a 444 marlin. He was at range with his Marlin and a fellow claimed it would shoot a 44 magnum wihtout damaging the gun? Or will a 44 mag damage a lever 444 marlin? Buddy thinks his acquaintance fired a 44 mag out of rifle as now fired 444 is hard to extract.
He figures a bulged chamber.

What do you guys think?

CLAYPOOL
07-18-2013, 12:59 AM
May have a "Ring" of carbon/crud in the chamber from the shorter shell. They caution folks from shooting .45 Colts in .454 chambers without cleaning for that mess and having pressure rises. Just a thought.

BCRider
07-18-2013, 01:19 AM
That's a LOOOOOONG way for the bullet to free float before it enters the throat and rifling. There's no doubt at all that it would be running unsupported for quite a distance with the gasses blowing past. And it would be doing so without the benefit of any bullet spin or other stability aiding. So while it may be possible I can't see it being at all a good thing for accuracy or even long barrel life.

missionary5155
07-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Good morning
I think BCRider has addressed one of the results.
As kids we fired caliber .22 long rifles in a caliber .22 mag chambered rifle not understanding internal balistics. Bulged and split brass were a novelty.. reasonable accuracy did happen intermitantly.
All was well until we were supplied again with a few rounds of caliber .22 mag. Then the results of our childish practices became evident. So the rifle was retired with a clean chamber for caliber .22 magnum use only.
I would also think around the head area of the fired caliber.44 mag brass there would be an interesting bulge that should indicate all is not well.
But as the "shooter said" you can do it. It is the results that are not very gratifying.
Mike in Peru

427smith
07-18-2013, 10:46 AM
444 marlin chamber dia. is larger than 44 mag, check your reloading manuals.

cabezaverde
07-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I have an old Gun Digest (or one of those other Annual thick books) that has an article about the 444 being the ultimate survival caliber because you can shoot so many different things in it.

Working from memory here.

1Shirt
07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Threads like this keep life interesting! Trial and error are sometimes the only things some folks learn by, while others accept the recommendations of manufacturers, and persons with experience and knowledge.
1Shirt!

Firebricker
07-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Like said above you might get away with it but it's a horrible potentially dangerous idea. Like Mike when I was a kid we shot .22lr in a magnum cylinder getting the same results with spit cases. The .44 is so much more powerful no way I would shoot one were the case wasn't fully supported in the right sized chamber. That being said if my life depended on it with no other options I guess I would try but that would be it. Lots of things that are very possible are bad ideas.
On the positive said the .444 is great you can load light loads to match the .44 mag downside is brass is much more expensive. FB

nekshot
07-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I load my 444 with trail boss and stay under the crack of sound barrier and I have 44 mag performance. Awesome with lee 310 boolit.

Artful
07-18-2013, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't be doing it in my rifle

here's an example of things that you should feel lucky about

SAAMI warning...

In Shotgun Chambered For 410 Bore

Do Not Use These Centerfire Metallic Cartridges - Any

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_211-Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lyk1WyyJ4

Artful
07-18-2013, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnbDvLIAac

frank505
07-18-2013, 08:18 PM
we have shot 500 linebaugh cartridges in a 50 alaskan. twenty five yard groups are acceptable. the gun didnt blow up either but i dont go to internetcommando.com for my information.................

cabezaverde
07-18-2013, 08:32 PM
I have an old Gun Digest (or one of those other Annual thick books) that has an article about the 444 being the ultimate survival caliber because you can shoot so many different things in it.

Working from memory here.

Okay, after watching you guys discuss, I had to go find the article.

It is titled "The 444 Formula for Survival", by Robert K. Sherwood. It is in the 10th edition of Handloader's Digest.

Discusses multi ball loads, shooting the 44 magnum, 44 special, and .44-40 in a .444, blackpowder use, shotshells using .410 wads in 444 brass, salvaged powder use, etc.

smkummer
07-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Now I want a H&R 410 topper. You cant stop me. All kidding aside, a relative has a H&R single shot marked 410-44. Any idea what this shot?

shredder
07-18-2013, 09:31 PM
That video did not end the way I expected. I own a .410 identical to the one they used except the forend on mine does not have finger grooves. I will not test it like they did!! Hard to believe they got the results that they did, but seeing is believing.

Four Fingers of Death
07-19-2013, 02:21 AM
These little CBC single shots are hell for stout. They were pretty popular here and mostly sold in 12Ga with a spare barrel in 22Hornet. I have one in 32/20 and it took out the long range pistol calibre shoot at the cowboy range near here every year (well it did with the previous owner before I bought it. lol, I haven't shot it in competition as the sights are a bit of a challenge for me). They were cheap, looked cheap, but were actually a strong little long arm. I'm pretty sure that the were available in 30/30 and other calibres as well. Everybody poo -poo'ed them except the guys that owned them.

I bought mine to provide a donor barrel to re-furbish a Winchester 92, but after finding out how good it shot, it seems a shame to pull it apart, the little sucker punches well above it's weight and deserves a better fate. I am now looking for a 22 Hornet in one these.

Newtire
10-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Okay, after watching you guys discuss, I had to go find the article.

It is titled "The 444 Formula for Survival", by Robert K. Sherwood. It is in the 10th edition of Handloader's Digest.

Discusses multi ball loads, shooting the 44 magnum, 44 special, and .44-40 in a .444, blackpowder use, shotshells using .410 wads in 444 brass, salvaged powder use, etc.

That article is why I bought my .444. Yes, it will shoot .44 magnums but bulges the case out just past the head. The round ball load over shot load was pretty scary, stuck the case and really had to jack the lever hard to get it out. The .410 plastic wads don't seal too well inside that case but work OK for close range. All the other loads worked great. I really like my old 1-38" twist micro-grooved Marlin. I am just breaking in a new CVA Eite Stalker with the faster twist and regular rifling. So far, so good.

44minimum
10-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I remember reading that article many years ago and it made me want a 444.

Newtire
10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
I remember reading that article many years ago and it made me want a 444.

I remember my wife doing me a favor by cleaning out my car and finding the receipt! That Marlin has been a fun gun shooting lighter cast loads. I have memories of a Batman action figure on the shooting bench beside my son as he shot the .444 with a load of 12 grains Unique and a 200 grain Lee RNFP. He was shooting cans at the tin can range and the guy beside us came over and rather indignantly announced to me that people ought to have more courtesy than to shoot other guy's targets. (my son was shooting down his cans apparently). I thought about a few things that I could have said, like..."If you could hit them, maybe he wouldn't have had to shoot them for you!" but instead I just said "Sorry, he didn't know."