PDA

View Full Version : Zucchini Chips

waksupi
07-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Zucchini Chips Ingredients

Five tender young zucchini
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 scant tablespoon of zaatar (http://www.traditional-foods.com/recipes/homemade-zaatar/) or your favorite seasoning mix
1/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic (if your spice mix contains no garlic, as is the case with zaatar)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Zucchini Chips Steps

Wash and dry the zucchini.
Cut off both ends of the zucchini.
Slice the zucchini in your food processor. If you slice by hand, use a mandolin.
Place the squash slices in a mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle on the seasonings.
Use your hands to integrate the oil and seasonings, loosening up the individual slices of squash and covering them well with the toppings, handling them gently.
Place zucchini rounds on food dehydrator trays.
Load your dehydrator. Set the temperature for about 130 degrees if you have a temperature setting.
Allow five hours to dry, though your drying time will vary based on your ambient kitchen temperature and humidity.
Your chips are done when they are crispy.

Beerd
07-22-2013, 03:01 PM
And yet another use for the lowly sumac.

My squash patch started putting out fruit about a week and a half ago. Unfortunately I didn't check them until yesterday. I cut off a couple of real trophy bull zucchini! Going to have to watch a little closer from now on.

Trey45
07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
I have an abundance of crookneck squash. There's only so many pickles I can make out of them. I will try your zuke recipe with the crooknecks. Should be good.

frankenfab
07-22-2013, 07:13 PM
I had some dehydrated okra from Kroger at Christmas. I was quite good.

Col4570
07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Waksupi,is there anyway to do the recipe without using a Dehydrator.I have plenty of Zuchini growing but do,nt have a dehydrater.
Regards.

waksupi
07-23-2013, 07:39 PM
I use a couple of large window screens more than the dehydrator. One to lay them on, one to cover to keep insects off. In the sun and heat here, it doesn't take long, considering the water content.

xacex
07-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Do the chips brown, or stay light colored? Thanks for the recipe I will try it out!

grampa243
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
i must try this. i've had green beans done like this very good.

altheating
07-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Anyone ever try mock apple pie made with zucchini? Another way to get rid of zucchini.

Col4570
07-24-2013, 01:20 AM
I usualy slice and fry them in Garlic Butter.But my favourite recipe is ,Zuchini,Butternut Squash,Red,Green and Yellow Sweet Peppers,Onions,Tomatoes,Celery,Sweet Potatoes,a couple of Cayenne Peppers all cut in bite size chunks covered in Extra virgin Olive Oil,seasoned with Vegetable Cubes,salt and Pepper,Baked in the oven and served with Steak.

phonejack
07-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Last week my wife dipped slices in flour, then, a thick batter and deep fried them in cooking oil. They had a slight sweet taste. Left overs heated on a stone in the oven were almost as good as the first time.

Dryball
07-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Gotta try this. Waksupi, do you de-seed them or just dehydrate as is?

waksupi
07-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Gotta try this. Waksupi, do you de-seed them or just dehydrate as is?

As-is.

Cosmiceyes
07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't have a dehydrator. Wonder if cooking the chips in oil will work? I can Zuc's on the Adkins diet,and we grow them in the garden,along with yellow squash.Till we get the new air conditioning system in we don't use the oven.We make Faux popcorn out of cauliflower in the oven too.When the oven can be used again I will try this.I will probably use baking paper on a cookie sheet.I learned how to make crackers out of cheese,by frying in a non-stick pan,and on baker paper in the microwave.Place one slice of American single on small square paper,and nuke for 2 min.It will raise up like crazy then settle down to between 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.It should be brown now. Enjoy