PDA

View Full Version : .44 Special load for vintage revolvers

OldManMontgomery
07-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I have a S&W Second Model Hand Ejector in .44 Special. It is NOT a collector grade revolver (it has been refinished - not at the factory - the barrel has been shortened and the front sight replaced - not at the factory - and sports 'genuine Texas pawn shop engraving - with an electric pencil - ALL prior to me purchasing the example) but is a good shooter.

I want a load with sufficient horsepower to deter the forces of evil, but I don't want to overtax the old dear.

I did a bit of research and came up with the following load:

250 grain lead bullet over 7 grains of Power Pistol. Standard cases and regular strength large pistol primer. According to all the research it should be within allowed limits for the Hand Ejector revolver and chronographs at 820 feet per second from this revolver. (About the same power level as .45 ACP hardball; not for moose, but appropriate for general use and self-defense.)

The Power Pistol powder is a 'medium' powder for this cartridge and so the pressure curve is not as abrupt as a 'faster' powder, but still burns at less than abusive pressure levels. At least according to my plan.

Any comments, objections or factors I've missed?

Outpost75
07-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Not familar with Power Pistol, but in my Third Model Hand Ejector I use 5 grains of Bullseye with Saeco #441, 260-grain Keith style SWC, cast from wheelweights. Velocity is 790 fps.

429421Cowboy
07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't have a Hand Ejector but someday I hope to along with a Triple lock, but that is another story!

I do use the same load as Outpost, 5.0 of BE and a Keith bullet weighing at 250 in Spl cases out of my Super Blackhawk for a load that is pretty much like you want from your gun, a .45 ACP level load. Nothing is gonna shake that off very fast with a nice nose profile that sure beats a FMJ and will get deep enough too. Hope this helps, I know you were looking for a slower powder, but my only other Spl load is 6.5 of Unique with a 250 which certainly is more pop than the Bullseye load.

Mr Peabody
07-20-2013, 10:51 AM
I like 7.0gr of SR-4756 under the Keith bullet. Very mild and does it's best with a straight lead bullet

smkummer
07-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Any modern SAMMI spec handload will be fine in your smith. That gets you into the low 800FPS range with the 245 grain bullet. I would not be afraid of stepping it up a bit if needed also by using data out of the 45th Lyman manual also. How short is the barrel now?

50target
07-20-2013, 05:11 PM
I've shot a fair amount of 44 Special and it is an excellent cartridge. The loads suggested are good ones and that is where I would start and find where the sweet spot is on accuracy. One thing you'll find on that 2nd. Model is that she is light to start with and a short barrel even more so. That will probably increase your recoil. Perceived recoil is something I think all of us associate with whether or not a particular load is powerful. I would do my best to use a chronograph and if I didn't have one, would try to buddy with someone that did. I would go slow, increase loads .1 or .2 grain at a time, watch for primer condition after firing and look for extraction issues. Certainly they are points to keep in mind for using any load. That 2nd. model, if you break it, is not one of the easiest to find parts for. I have Smiths in that caliber in a Triple Lock, 2nd. Model Target, 3rd. Model Target and 50 Target and I take it easy with all of them. Keep it below 900 fps with that 250 grain. Now I have a Ruger Flat Top in 44 special and she gets hot rodded and that's Ok cause I can send it back to Ruger. Not so with the Smiths. Enjoy that fine ole gal for what she is. She is now one of us senior citizens.

Bob

Char-Gar
07-20-2013, 05:20 PM

I have a 1933 vintage Hand Ejector (44 Special), that has been over the bench at Micro. It has their adjustable rear sight, front sight, trigger, hammer and checkered backstrap. It shoots very well. I also like 5/BE under a full weight Keith style bullet.

Hit an "evil doer" with that load in an important place and he will cease to be the source of your problem.

OldManMontgomery
07-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Responses...

SMKummer; SAAMI pressure limits seem to be based on .44 Russian velocity and pressure levels. As the .44 Special 'original' loadings were manufactured with the thought of avoiding blowing up the odd .44 Russian revolver which would allow seating of the longer cartridge, the .44 Special has been long handicapped. I'm in agreement with you regarding 'stepping it up a bit' (emphasis on 'a bit') and so I've done some research. After all, this is the revolver Brother Keith shot a near case-full of 2400 to pioneer the .44 Magnum. But I do not need to go that far. I've got a couple revolvers in the heavier caliber.

The barrel length is currently just a touch under Four and One-Half inches (holstermaker's measure) on the left side of the revolver and just a touch shorter on the right side. Like I said in the original, the barrel was not bobbed at the factory.

I have a crowning tool to even out the muzzle. I just have to get my act together and do it. Actually, it shoots rather well now and groups well. I'm planning on getting a load I like then going to the range and doing a 'before and after' photo shoot with groups and sizes and such. I just have to get myself in gear and do it.

50target: I've been shooting .44 Specials for a number of years now. I agree, it is an excellent round and pretty well all-around useful. I also agree breaking a part is not a smart thing to do. (Or even bulging a chamber or springing the crane.) I did work up to the current 7.0 load. I do have a Chronograph, a CED which is supposed to be as nifty as an Oehler. I'm getting an honest 820 f/s from this load. No particular sticking in the chambers and recoil is not abusive. It is surely enough to spoil the sight picture.

If I may, looking at primers in handgun rounds doesn't mean much. Rifle rounds rated at 50,000 psi or so don't flatten primers normally. I know a handgun primer is a bit softer, but since the pressure is less than half that of full size rifle rounds, if a handgun primer is flattening, it is seriously over pressure.

Here's my reason for not using the Bullseye load. The Power Pistol load is in the same maximum pressure level during firing; however, the Powder Pistol is slower burning than Bullseye (and Unique, as far as I can tell) so the pressure curve is less abrupt on the upstroke. That should be just a little gentler on the parts and workings.

Char-Gar. Yes, I think it will do. Sort of like a .45 ACP hardball round with a better shaped bullet.

Here's the old darling now...76671
And here's the actual round in question. Bullet comes from "Matt's Bullets". Nice meplat, huh?76672

50target
07-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Is that the old Lyman full wadcutter bullet? That thing is "nasty". One of those clockin 820 is like getting hit by a VW. I'm with you on stoking one of the old ones. I have newer better platforms for that, ala Ruger. The curve on the pressure is also a consideration. The best we have to work with are the loading manuals showing pressure but I always try to look for that balance between speed and pressure. Some powders are better at it than others. Sorta like a shove versus a punch. Looks like you've got a handle on what you're doing so now becomes the laborious (sic) task of all that reloading and shooting to find "the one" that does it all. That's why I go to work every day, to buy powder and primers. To heck with all that other stuff, like food, etc. Responsibility is way overrated. LOL. Good luck in your quest.
Bob

ironhead7544
07-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Looks like that load is a winner. I use 6.5 Unique with a 240/250 gr cast as a standard load. Light recoil and very accurate. I have a Uberti Open Top with a 5 and 1/2 inch barrel. The Unique load shoots a ragged one hole group at 50 ft, 1 inch above the sights. Velocity is 830 fps as measured by me.

I have been looking for some Power Pistol but cant find any around here. Looks good for the 38 Special and 44 Specials that I load for.

Your revolver makes me think of the 2 older S&W 44 Specials I used to have. Both were 5 inchers, one a Third Model and the other a 1950 Model. I want both of them back!

Saw a modern M21 4 inch blued in a shop on Friday. Reasonable price, may have to go get it.

The Speer #13 manual list 7.2 gr of Power Pistol as the minimum load for a 250 gr cast bullet.

OldManMontgomery
07-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Ironhead, thanks. I just bought the Speer #14 manual. It shows a range of Power Pistol (for 250 grain lead) from 7.2 (842 f/s) to 8.0 (954 f/s). The preamble says "these loads" does not go more than the 15,500 psi of industry standard. So now I'm really relieved. Still, between 800-850 f/s will do just fine.

I saw a real 1950 Hand Ejector .44 Special in a pawn shop in about 1971 or '72. I didn't have enough money to pay attention, but I still remember it. Sigh... Call me a snob, but I don't buy S&W revolvers without pinned barrels. (And I won't buy the Colt Government Models with the silly firing pin safety, you can imagine my position on built in locks.)

50Target, I'm not sure from where the bullet design derives. I buy them from Matt's bullets (mattsbullets.com) and I am not affiliated with them other than to throw money at them from time to time. They have the same bullet in a .357/.358 size weighing 157 grains. I load a similar - standard pressure - load for my old .38 Special Military & Police revolvers using the same basic principles. I haven't shot anything but paper, but they sure look a heck of a fight, don't they?

So I've got some bullets in; I'll load up some of these rounds enough to check velocity and accuracy and post a report. With pictures.

phonejack
07-24-2013, 06:36 AM
I load for mine the same way, and for the same reasons. If I want more velocity, I have two 44mags that are better suited for that purpose.

Larry Gibson
07-24-2013, 12:31 PM
My standard 44 SPL load is any cast 240 - 250 gr bullet over 5 gr of Bullseye. Last pressure test I did with that load was with the Lee TL429-240-SWC (cast hard of LaserCast alloy) and sized at .430 and lubed with BAC loaded in WW cases with Fed 150 primers. The crimp was in the top lube groove. The psi ran 14,600 spi(M43). Accuracy out of the Contender test barrel was excellent as it was out of my Hawes, Ruger and Colt revolvers.

Larry Gibson

GLL
07-25-2013, 02:11 PM
This one gets 6.5grains of Unique with a 429421 clone. The 4th Models(1950) get 7.0 grains.

http://www.fototime.com/DB2FB904F454895/orig.jpg

Jerry

CScott
07-27-2013, 02:22 PM
My first post to this great site. I am working out the bugs on a Mod 1950 4" 44 special that I've had for about 6 months. Also shooting my sons' Ruger Bisley 44 Special. 7.5 gr of Unique over 240gr LSWCs was working well until I ran out of Unique with none to be found anywhere. Then I ran out of some SR4756 I had on hand. So I've been trying Power Pistol, which I can get. I started at 7 gr and worked up to 8.2 gr so far, with no signs of excess pressure at all, cases just fall right out. Accuracy is good too but I think this is more powerful than the Unique load I'm trying to duplicate (950fps +/-) for the Smith. I don't know why some people say PP is only for jacketed bullets. So far, I like the Power Pistol.