PDA

View Full Version : 458 Socom AR

John Allen
07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Anyone out there using a 458 Socom AR. I am interested in getting one and would like opinions

Also
Do you need a different mag or can you convert mags?

huntinmo
07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Mine is an RRA CAR A4, like it alot. You can get a lot of info at 458socomforums.com and most of your questions have already been answered there. For me ammo is mostly a reloading deal due to the cost. I shoot mostly cast in the 350 to 400 grain variety with gas check. No clear favorite at this time but anxiously awaiting the 460483 group buy mold!

mtnman31
07-21-2013, 05:30 PM
I bought one years ago when Tromix was about the only show in town. I love mine. Shooting it is a real joy. Recoil is not bad and stories of collapsable stocks closing on firing are embellishments in my opinion. I will say that I did destroy a red dot scope I had mounted on mine. It was a Tasco Optima 2000 and probably not the highest quality out there.

It uses standard mags that don't require modification. I have not tried any plastic mags so I can't say how well the do/don't work. I've stuck with standard Milspec, GI issue mags and not had any problems. I've shot mostly jacketed through mine. I have some suitable molds for cast but just haven't taken the time to work up any loads. As was mentioned, reloading is a must since factory ammo is very pricey. I use Starline brass along with Remington JHP bullets that I bought in bulk. My dies are CH4D but I know Lee also has dies available as well.

If you're on the fence about buying, jump off and get one. You will be very happy.

John Allen
07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks all. I am going to start looking for one.

Boneguru
08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
I picked up a 458 from RRA, Love it now that I have removed their forend, the rounds are great fun to shoot. I have had 45-70's for years and this is so much better. I have used the Poly mags and the steel mags with no issues other than you need to cut a feed cresent in the front of the mag. so think about that if you want to resell the mag etc. I discovered the 458 after building a custom 6.8, If I had to do it al over again I would have gone right to the 458.
Ray

John Allen
08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Boneguru, thanks I am waiting on a rock river right now.

500MAG
02-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Any updates on this? I'm looking to get one in the next month and was hoping someone had a mould to suggest.

dkf
02-22-2015, 09:44 PM
You can see some of the bullets other guys are using.

http://458socomforums.com/index.php?board=14.0

I don't have the mold myself however the NOE 460483 gas check should work well in the socom and feed well also.

500MAG
02-22-2015, 10:00 PM
You can see some of the bullets other guys are using.

http://458socomforums.com/index.php?board=14.0

I don't have the mold myself however the NOE 460483 gas check should work well in the socom and feed well also.
Thanks. It looks like the cast one they are using is the Accurate 46-300R

dkf
02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Accurate also has a bullet design listed for the .458socom. Really the .458 socom is not that picky with bullets. Some guys are even using 525gr Beartooth piledrivers which has a good sized metplat. If the feed ramp is blended into the lower and you use Lancers there is a good chance you don't have to touch the mags to feed big metplats. Look on the Tromix Lead Delivery systems website under the .458 parts section to see some pics of how they blend the upper into the ramp on the barrel extension.

glockky
02-28-2015, 01:06 AM
I really would like to get a 458 I just cant get over the constant search for brass. Is it really that rare?

Oreo
02-28-2015, 02:14 AM
Does it matter? How many times can it be reloaded?

Fishman
02-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Starline is taking orders for a March 6 ship date. Wish I had an upper :)

dkf
02-28-2015, 11:09 AM
I really would like to get a 458 I just cant get over the constant search for brass. Is it really that rare?

It is more available than you think. The thing is only ONE company is currently making .458socom brass and that is Starline. However there are a hand full of private headstamps made by Starline for other companies. Nice thing is the brass lasts a long time due to the fairly low pressure and that the brass is not worked too awful much when fired and resized. Maybe if the SAAMI application for the .458 ever gets approved availability and makers of brass will improve. The .458 has actually been growing pretty good every year with more makers of rifles, components and .458 built bullets than ever. Stop over at the .458 socom forum.

Nicholas
02-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Starline is taking orders for a March 6 ship date. Wish I had an upper :)

Maybe you should get the brass while it is available and then look for the upper. It has worked for you in the past!

45cal
03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
I have had one for a few years,I reload for it.
When I first got it it was fun,now not so much ,old age has made me recoil sensitive.
There was a quirk when I first got my brass from starline with it being spun too thin in the middle.Had several split in half,call starline and they had me send it all back to them even thought I bought from Midway.
Replacement worked great.
Has a few Quirks in reloading,like large pistol mag primers,takes 308/30.006 shell holders.R L 7 worked for me with barnes copper bullets.
I origionally bought Lee dies,they would not work so I bought hornady and they were fine with out having to send back for rework.
I am sure that lee has the problems worked out now.
When I bought this R R A/R there was no data out in books and it was mostly trial and error but you should be good to go now days.