PDA

View Full Version : LBT lube questions

Patrick L
08-17-2005, 08:46 AM
I have two questions regarding LBT Blue. Does the soft perform the same as the regular ? That's what their website claims, and if so I'd be inclined to go with the soft.

Second, do any retailers sell this stuff ? I'd like to buy a stick or two to try, but it looks like you have to buy 30 sticks from LBT directly.

Willbird
08-17-2005, 09:08 AM
You can the last time I checked buy (10) sticks from LBT, it is cheaper to buy (30) tho....

They also say NOT to use the soft if you have a Star Lubesizer.

Bill

drinks
08-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Patrick;
I use LBT and liquid alox, both do fine for me.
I apply the soft blue by using a small loaf pan on a hotplate, get the lube just hot enough to melt good with no smoke, put the bullets in on their base's, wait a few seconds , the lube will climb up the bullet as the bullet warms up, then remove it and set it on it's base on an aluminum pan, after a few minutes, when the bullet has cooled off, it is ready to use.

Bass Ackward
08-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I have two questions regarding LBT Blue. Does the soft perform the same as the regular ? That's what their website claims, and if so I'd be inclined to go with the soft.

Second, do any retailers sell this stuff ? I'd like to buy a stick or two to try, but it looks like you have to buy 30 sticks from LBT directly.

Pat,

Right after Veral got back in business I asked to buy some Blue Soft. He told me that at that time, he was out and he wasn't sure he was going to make the Soft more.

He told me the only difference was to add 1/2 teaspoon of Vasaline to a stick of Blue to make Blue Soft. If I got it too soft, I was to add paraffin. So it sounds pretty much the same. But the soft performs better in cold weather and larger bore diameters of the two if you ask me. The hard better under hot conditions or rapid fire and smaller bores.

stocker
08-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I note the recommendation of using vaseline to soften LBT hard lube. Not having heard this before I used STP oil additive. I used the cap from the container to measure and added 1 cap full for each stick of lube. I've done this with both LBT and Beartooth Bullets lube which looks like the same thing actually. As treated the lube will run through my RCBS sizer without heating.
Seems to work well.

buck1
08-18-2005, 12:51 AM
You might want to try Lyman super molly. I bet youll like it!...Buck