PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Find

pipehand
10-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Picked up a levergun I've been on the lookout for the last few years. Found and paid for a Marlin 39 Mountie that was made in 1976. The gun appeared to have never been fired. I changed that after I got it home and mounted the Lyman 66-39 I'd been saving for the time when Divine Provinence would deliver me a straight gripped Marlin .22. The little carbine shot very well, and I'm sure it will be better when I get the leaf rear sight out of the picture, and put a Patridge post up front. I really wanted a rimfire understudy to the Guide gun to make those 420 grain flinches go away.

Now, I didn't just post this to crow about my Mountie. I really need y'all's help here. You see, the same loving God that just today made it possible for me to take home that levergun, ten years ago He saw fit to give me an Helpmate- a lovely feisty Redhead woman who, for the most part, has been a "Pearl beyond price." However, she is in darkness, and lacks the wisdom and understanding of why a man would put $400 on his credit card for six pounds of American Walnut and Steel. "Another Twenty-Two! How many have you got?" she said. And somewhere later in the conversation she used the word"Fine". You know, the way women use that word when they really mean anything and everything but fine. So brothers, I ask that you keep this benighted woman in your prayers, that she may see the light . And make it quick- you never know when I might run across a 32 H&R Cowboy, or when Marlin might produce a 1894 45 Colt or .357 in stainless.

Scrounger
10-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Rossi Pumas are already available in stainless...

wills
10-06-2007, 07:47 PM
We reached a détente. I keep quiet about the hair and nail appointments, she does not complain about the guns.

pipehand
10-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Scrounger-
I have a Rossi Stainless 45 Colt saddle ring carbine - one of the older ones imported by Interarms -- sans stoopid bolt mounted safety. The sights suck- the front is mounted on the barrel band, which is canted to the left and gives a goofy sight picture . I'll have to fix that, maybe by taking the sight base completely off the barrel band and installing a front sight directly on the barrel, but the barrel at that point is really too thin for a dovetail. As far as rear sights go, its not drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, and I'm getting to aan age where they work so much better than opens. Also, while the Browning designed '92 is super strong, I appreciate the Marlin for its ease of takedown and cleaning the chamber and barrel from the rear. Also, there's that American Steel and Walnut thing. I keep the Rossi as a truck gun- light, compact, doesn't rust, and does a pretty good impression of a baby 45-70 with 310 grain bullets. But, a Marlin it ain't.

pipehand
10-06-2007, 08:27 PM
wills- hair and nails, no big deal. In fact, the bushel basket of creams, colors, lotions, and other stuff that I don't even know the use for that covers the vanity(good word) and fills all possible storage space in the bathroom more than likely exceeds the monetary cost(not value) of my recent purchase by two or threefold. But I wouldn't say anything about the snake oil and chimeras she buys. Not because they make her beautiful, she's got that. But because she believes they make her beautiful, and when a woman has a positive self image it is elevating to the quality of life of the man in her life.
Remember the "Another twenty-two?" comment? I now have a total of five. Two bolt actions, one semi-auto, one lever, and one revolver. Care to ask her how many identical(to me) pairs of black shoes ("pumps" I believe they are called) she has cluttering the closets?

kodiak1
10-06-2007, 10:06 PM
pipehand you got a "FINE' on the 22 purchase and that was it, NOW you want to let out to the public how many pairs of shoes are in the closet!!!!!!
Good Luck Buddy Hope you live to see Spring! Never ever bring up the shoes!!!
Ken.

pipehand
10-06-2007, 10:31 PM
kodiak- think "Imelda Marcos". I don't have a problem with her spending money on good shoes. The problem is that every time we go out in a venue that requires me to wear a tie, she has to go and buy another pair of $30 or less shoes. When I ask why she doesn't wear one of the other pairs layering the bottom of the closet the response is "they hurt my feet." And guess what- the pair she buys for the "event" will also hurt her feet. My response is that she not continue the insanity of buying cheap shoes thinking that " this pair will be different!" and just bite the bullet and get QUALITY that will last and fit properly.
It will be cheaper in the long run, and we can toss the chinese crap in the trash.

PatMarlin
10-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Congrats on the 39. I've had mine like pictured in my avatar since I was ten.

I think buying something for yourself once in a while that truly makes you happy should make your wife happy. Does mine anyways.

hollow-point
10-06-2007, 11:13 PM
my favourite .22 is a 39tds . this little take-down goes with me everywhere when i need a gu along . a lyman peep is on it and does a fine job. the next up the ladder is a 1894 C .357. same again ,lyman peep. 1894 win .44mag and rossi 92 45 long. would love a marlin 45 long but they have only sold the long barrel cowboy rifle here in oz! i would prefer a carbine version..

The Double D
10-07-2007, 12:36 AM
I can give you all kinds of help and advice on the gun, but based on my 41 years of experience all with the same women I can offer absolutely no advice on how to deal with her.

S.R.Custom
10-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Pipehand,

Since the fair lady is so concerned about money, put it in terms she'll understand-- tell her the man who sold it to you was an idiot, that it's worth at least $500, and given the way guns allways seem to appreciate, in two years you'll be able to sell it for $700. If she doesn't believe you, show her the appropriate GunBroker ads.

trk
10-07-2007, 08:10 AM
That works.

My love watches me. After a purchase she watches me remain calm and cool until we get well out of earshot of the person we purchased the gun from - and then I let out a whoop - and tell her what it's worth. WE celebrate!

44man
10-07-2007, 08:15 AM
I am going to stay away from the woman thing but I can help with the gun. I had one long, long ago and was stupid and poor, had to sell it to buy another gun.
Most accurate little .22 I ever owned and it would put 5 WW super X bullets in 3/4" at 100 yd's back when WW made good ammo.
You can run into one problem with the gun after it is shot a LOT. The barrel just slips into the frame and is held with a pin. That thing can come loose and will quit shooting to a scope. You have to remove the pin and barrel, stipple the end of the barrel and glass bed it back into the frame.
A lot easier to deal with then a woman. [smilie=1:
I asked Marlin if they ever plan on bringing it back but they didn't answer.:(

wills
10-07-2007, 08:37 AM
kodiak- think "Imelda Marcos". I don't have a problem with her spending money on good shoes. The problem is that every time we go out in a venue that requires me to wear a tie, she has to go and buy another pair of $30 or less shoes. When I ask why she doesn't wear one of the other pairs layering the bottom of the closet the response is "they hurt my feet." And guess what- the pair she buys for the "event" will also hurt her feet. My response is that she not continue the insanity of buying cheap shoes thinking that " this pair will be different!" and just bite the bullet and get QUALITY that will last and fit properly.
It will be cheaper in the long run, and we can toss the chinese crap in the trash.

Then she would have to wear them twice, and that would be worse than the shoes hurting her feet.

Calamity Jake
10-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Me and Mine do the CAS thing and I also collect and shoot mil bolts. She is always tellng me, we need a bigger safe or the next gun you buy needs to a cowboy gun for me!!!!

I LOVE IT

PatMarlin
10-07-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to buy a Browning BLR lightweight for my wife in 308 Winchester for christmas as her first rifle. I think she would really like this one, and hopefully it will be a great reduced load tack driver, then I can work her up in velocity for hunting, but don't think she'll ever hunt. Who knows.

She's grabbed my 358 Winny and says "can I have this one"?. I tell well you already have all of them sweetheart.. :mrgreen:

She probably knows pigs will fly before I let go of the 358... LOL.

pipehand
10-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I am going to stay away from the woman thing but I can help with the gun. I had one long, long ago and was stupid and poor, had to sell it to buy another gun.
Most accurate little .22 I ever owned and it would put 5 WW super X bullets in 3/4" at 100 yd's back when WW made good ammo.
You can run into one problem with the gun after it is shot a LOT. The barrel just slips into the frame and is held with a pin. That thing can come loose and will quit shooting to a scope. You have to remove the pin and barrel, stipple the end of the barrel and glass bed it back into the frame.
A lot easier to deal with then a woman. [smilie=1:
I asked Marlin if they ever plan on bringing it back but they didn't answer.:(

Thanks for the info 44Man. Once upon a time I had a pre microgroove 39A, and someone offered me more than I paid for it, so I let it go minus the 66mc i had mounted on it. That particular gun had a "looseness" about it , that, along with the pg stock I didn't particularly like. It never occurred to me that the barrel attachment to the receiver could be at fault. I'll have to go look up a schematic of how they're put together.
I looked up some front sights in the Brownells catalog- I think I'm going to get an XS .080" wide white stripe post, but I need to check the height before I order. It'll be 3x the cost of a plain patridge post from Skinner, but I really like the sight picture and acquisition of the set on my 45-70.

testhop
10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Me and Mine do the CAS thing and I also collect and shoot mil bolts. She is always tellng me, we need a bigger safe or the next gun you buy needs to a cowboy gun for me!!!!

I LOVE IT

hey jake i dont know what job you have but quit it and become a wife trainer
and your first job is at my house lol

tom

p,s i had a lot ffof guns when we got married when we was married 3 years
i got disable money was tight so i sold some guns now when i buy one
i just tell her i am just replaceing the ones i sold lol so far it works

JMax
10-22-2007, 12:35 AM
We reached a détente. I keep quiet about the hair and nail appointments, she does not complain about the guns.

Wills,
What ever happened after the Chicken Ranch closed in La Grange?

454PB
10-22-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm not really into .22's, but I inherited a Marlin 39A from my Dad that I know he bought before 1960, and it has a microgroove barrel. How old do they have to be to be "pre-microgroove"?

Lloyd Smale
10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
tell you where your screwing up. You need to make a regular thing out of it. Ive got so many guns in the house laying around in open sight and buy them so often that the old lady doesnt even know or question if theres a new one.

Vegas Vince
10-23-2007, 12:06 AM
My wife says a “true gun nut” is someone who buys a gun they already have. But this one is the same make, model, caliber, and finish but it has a different barrel length!!! I also keep several extra gun rugs around. Heck if you have a gun rug you have to buy a gun for it. RIGHT!!:drinks:
God love her she continues to put up with me???[smilie=1:

Have fun with the Marlin!