PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk spring question

robpete
07-16-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm going to order a Wolff shooter's pack(hammer & trigger spring) for my new Bisley. I'm not 100% sure on weight. I was thinking 19lbs on hammer and 40 ounce on trigger. They also offer a 30 ounce trigger spring. I thought that might be a bit light. no?

My question is: what would be an ideal weight combo for this weapon? I like a nice light and crisp break, but I don't want light primer strikes either(dealing with that on a 686 currently).

Heavy lead
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
FWIW 26 lb. hammer and 30 ounce trigger.
On all Blackhawks that I have.

robpete
07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Why 26lbs on the hammer?

Heavy lead
07-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I've had problems with light strikes with any lighter, I believe that the factory is 23 pounds, I started doing this on the recommendation of 44man, and I believe my accuracy has improved since.

robpete
07-16-2013, 11:05 PM
How's the break feel?

44man
07-17-2013, 08:26 AM
How's the break feel?
Factory springs are 22 to 23# and take a set with use. Accuracy will go down. I had to change the hammer springs every year when I shot IHMSA. Wolfe springs hold tension. All of mine are 26#, Ruger's and BFR's.
The hammer spring has nothing to do with trigger pull. My revolvers run 19 oz to 1-1/2# creep free triggers.
Primers need struck with a certain force to be accurate, just going off is not good enough. The fastest way to ruin accuracy is to put in light hammer springs.
Things can be done with a FAST spring, you can lighten the hammer but impact has to be there.
A large bore revolver that uses LR primers should have a 28# spring.

robpete
07-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks 44. So if I'm hearing you right, you're saying I should put a 28 pounder in a 45 Colt?

PS- I'll be ordering a heavier spring for my 686.....

gray wolf
07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Also I wouldn't go to light on the trigger return spring, it ma not reset the trigger.

WARD O
07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
The heavier hammer spring might just shorten your lock time as well.

I've never had any trouble with the 30 oz Wolff trigger spring resetting any of my Rugers.

ward

44man
07-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks 44. So if I'm hearing you right, you're saying I should put a 28 pounder in a 45 Colt?

PS- I'll be ordering a heavier spring for my 686.....
No, that is for LR primers. 26# is about perfect for LP.
Now I don't know the S&W weight. All I know is backing off the strain screw or grinding the hammer spring hurt accuracy.

tek4260
07-19-2013, 06:58 AM
The trigger failing to reset has to do with transfer bar pinch rather than spring weight. Most factory Rugers exhibit transfer bar pinch to some extent and needs to be addressed.

44man
07-19-2013, 10:03 AM
The trigger failing to reset has to do with transfer bar pinch rather than spring weight. Most factory Rugers exhibit transfer bar pinch to some extent and needs to be addressed.
This is true, changing springs will not cure the initial problem and can make it worse.
Just need to find out exactly where before filing any parts. I seen one that had the side of the transfer bar dragging on the frame, another had the portion of the bar above the pin that goes in the trigger catching in the frame slot.
Seems as if all the bars I have show something different when the factory fit them. All have some place polished in a different spot.
Each one I made had to be fit.

Whiterabbit
07-19-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm going to order a Wolff shooter's pack(hammer & trigger spring) for my new Bisley. I'm not 100% sure on weight. I was thinking 19lbs on hammer and 40 ounce on trigger. They also offer a 30 ounce trigger spring. I thought that might be a bit light. no?

My question is: what would be an ideal weight combo for this weapon? I like a nice light and crisp break, but I don't want light primer strikes either(dealing with that on a 686 currently).

My opinion:

Put the heaviest hammer spring on there from the pack. Heaviest. Leave it there. Then put the heaviest trigger spring on there and see how gritty it is. Polish trigger, polish polish polish till there's no grit. Then put lighter and lighter trigger return springs on there till its the weight you want.

That's what I'd do.

robpete
07-24-2013, 05:56 AM
The 30 ounce spring does not fully reset the trigger. I'm leaving that 26 pound hammer spring right where it is. A 40 ounce trigger spring will be ordered this a.m..

tek4260
07-24-2013, 07:26 AM
The 30 ounce spring does not fully reset the trigger. I'm leaving that 26 pound hammer spring right where it is. A 40 ounce trigger spring will be ordered this a.m..

When it doesn't reset, can you start to pull the hammer back and the trigger jumps forward and resets? If so, the pinch needs to be addressed.

44man
07-24-2013, 08:28 AM
It can be tricky to find. Usually the transfer bar has clearance between the hammer and frame although many are an exact fit, .070" drop on the hammer and a bar at .070", but the firing pin is pushing it against the hammer. The transfer bar spring in the cylinder pin is also pushing the bar. Those two springs can provide enough force to keep the trigger from resetting.
Some bars are actually .075" thick so thinning the top is an option however I would measure the drop at the hammer first and maybe allow .001" clearance.
I would not go so far as to turn the firing pin into an inertia pin.

Rick Hodges
07-24-2013, 08:47 AM
I just did a search at Brownell's for wolfe trigger springs for the Blackhawk. All they show is reduced springs and a kit that runs to 19# at the heaviest. Where do you order the 26# springs?

Never mind found them directly from Wolfe.

Whiterabbit
07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
odd, I could swear I purchased my extra power spring through brownells, I cant find it either.

Whiterabbit
07-26-2013, 12:11 AM
I knew I wasn't crazy. But the part number doesn't line up with anything brownells carries.

44man
07-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Cheaper to go to Wolfe direct.

robpete
07-27-2013, 04:10 PM
I just wanted to update. I got my latest envelope from Wolff today. I tried a different 30 oz spring and still no full reset. I then popped in a 40 oz and BINGO! The trigger is fully functional and feels great. I am curious as to whether the 30 oz spring would work with the factory hammer spring, but that 26 pounder was such a pain to install that it's staying put!

DougGuy
07-27-2013, 04:31 PM
I think mine came from Midway but I never went to Wolff direct. That's an idea. What the spring will do is allow you to develop your own "feel" for your gun so that you can stand and dry fire it until the front sight does NOT MOVE when the hammer falls. The lighter 30oz spring will help that process and that's something you will have to do if you have any hope of shooting a single action revolver of any make or caliber, with an appreciable degree of accuracy.

If your 30oz spring won't reset the trigger, the gun has a problem with the transfer bar that needs to be looked at.

Edit: If you can hold the sights dead on while dry firing, then the 40oz spring will be fine and you can leave the gun alone. If the front sight moves around when you dry fire, it will hurt your groups significantly. Just got to practice until they stay put and you will turn in some good groups.