PDA

View Full Version : On Your Death Bed

Hickory
07-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Imagine if you will;

You are on your death bed, you have several weeks to live.
A lot of thing go through a person's mind at a time like this.

If you could go back in time and change something in your life,
what would it be. Something that would benefit someone else besides yourself.

This is an answer even I have to think about.

Love Life
07-16-2013, 06:52 PM
I would have shot a pop up first.

smokemjoe
07-16-2013, 06:52 PM
I would of spend more time with my wife instead of 1,000s of hours making guns, I see my time coming now.

jsheyn
07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
I would of joined the Navy.

daniel lawecki
07-16-2013, 07:02 PM
I would change nothing I've met and done the things I wanted alot of my friends have been around 30-40yrs. So money wouldn't help and living any where else would just be wrong.

Hickory
07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
The reason for the thread, a friend of mine died today,
and in the last couple of days he told me of all the missed
and lost opportunities in life the wrongs that could be righted
and how he wished he had just a few more years to do somethings over.

WILCO
07-16-2013, 07:33 PM
The reason for the thread, a friend of mine died today,....

Sorry for your loss Hickory.

MrWolf
07-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Sorry Hickory, sounds like you lost a good friend.

Hickory
07-16-2013, 08:12 PM
I hate to say this, but , Mike wasn't a very good or close friend.
He was in his youth a pretty rough character.
And when the end came he had no one, not even me.

I heard about his passing when I returned from Chicago.
Took my son up there to O"Hare to go back to Australia.

Just wondering what I'd do to change some things in my past, and what you would do if you had the chance.

fatnhappy
07-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I'd have killed Joe Stalin or hitler

Bzcraig
07-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I know I can't change the past, I've already done what I could to make things right and believe I am living my life with a purpose other than my own. I do have regrets about things in my past and wish I would have realized much sooner in life it wasn't all about me. Having never been in the circumstances your friend was so I can't really answer the question.

Reg
07-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Have had a wonderful and full life so doubt if I would change much of that BUT---
Had to give up smoking a pipe quite a few years ago and really miss it to this day. Have been know to follow a pipe smoker around like a pup !!!
If I only had a couple of weeks to go think I would get a couple packs of Borkum Riff a couple fifths of good rum and just set back with a smile on my face !!
Can't wait to get back with a few of my old buddies anyway, Man do we ever have a lot to catch up on.

mikeym1a
07-16-2013, 09:00 PM
The reason for the thread, a friend of mine died today,
and in the last couple of days he told me of all the missed
and lost opportunities in life the wrongs that could be righted
and how he wished he had just a few more years to do somethings over.

Long ago, after returning from a very green place, I realized I couldn't change the world. I further realized all I could do was to try and make my little corner a little nicer place. I have tried to do that, in little ways. I am not an outgoing person. But I try in my daily conduct not to give offense. I try to be polite, not to be judgemental, to offer encouragement. Occasionally I have minor monetary assistance, never expecting to be paid back. I know that there are many times I have failed, but, I have tried. I am only human. My time is getting closer. When it arrives, I'll leave behind 3 remarkable humans, and that is the only thing I'll be remembered for. And they are my greatest contribution to this world.

pdawg_shooter
07-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I just wish I could do it all over again !

Recluse
07-16-2013, 10:56 PM

I'd probably go to Hawaii and look for a certain Kenyan born dope-head. . .

:coffee:

Boerrancher
07-16-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't have many regrets about my life and how it has turned out. A few that I do have are as follows:
1. I regret being away from my wife and kids for months and years at a time, but they understood and were willing to make the sacrifice as well, but it didn't make it any easier, yet I would not have given up my career in the Army if I could do it again.

2. I have all kinds of regrets as an Army officer for some of the choices I made and orders I followed. They say that hind sight is 20/20 but I often still second guess some of the decisions I made and wonder if I had made another choice if or forced the issue on an order that fellow soldiers might still be alive.

3. Above all I wish I would have spent more time with my father and ask more questions. There are many things that he knew that I need to know now and never bothered to ask.

Best wishes,

Joe

DIRT Farmer
07-17-2013, 12:05 AM
I was lying in a hospital bed a few weeks ago and after being told I had a major artery 99% blocked before it was stented, I did quit a bit of reflection. I can't change the past but I can change myself in the future.

waksupi
07-17-2013, 12:16 AM
I don't think I would change much. I've always gave more than I could really afford, and helped friends when I could. I have had adventures that few in this day have ever, or will ever, be able to experience again. I have some excellent friends, and some fine enemies. I know how to live with next to nothing, and appreciate it when I have plenty. I have no complaints, and can die tonight with no regrets.

retread
07-17-2013, 12:17 AM
I regret not coming to know the Lord at an earlier age. I believe that would have not only improved my life but the lives of those around me. I have missed a lot of joy but I am finding it now. I pray that others my find him sooner than I did.

10x
07-17-2013, 02:33 AM
My sympathy to you.

I had a high school friend pass Aug2, of last year. He was two years younger than me and took a much different path - usually on the edge of or the wrong side of the law. I had not seen him for almost 40 years when I got a telephone call that he moved back to his childhood home. I visited with him from time to time, endured almost 6 month of his dementia from which he recovered.
A year later a friend of his called me and told me he had died. She related how his best memories and stories were of our high school years. It reminds me of our mortality..

Lloyd Smale
07-17-2013, 06:19 AM
I would have stayed in the service.

Lefthandshooter
07-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Since my life was in God's control - even the many years BEFORE I dedicated my life to Him, I would change nothing. It was all in His plans - the way I lived my life.

CPL Lou
07-17-2013, 07:26 AM
No regrets.
St. Jude's hospital and my grandson are in my will.
God bless.

CPL Lou

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-17-2013, 07:56 AM
There have been several forks in my road. I often wonder about what would have been if I chose differently, but I don't regret my choices. The biggest one was turning down an opportunity to go to a four year college, instead I went to a electronics trade school in the early 80s. At that point in my life, I was pretty sure I would have "partied" to hard if I entered that environment...probably would have died or ended up in jail.

shdwlkr
07-17-2013, 09:34 AM
The past is just that the past but
If I could redo some things one would be I would have gone to helicopter school in the Army and yes I would have been an Apache or medivac chopper pilot. Why not be where the action is?

I would have been a better dad to my kids, most want nothing to do with me but none of them ever has asked what it was like when in the military. They ask another family member and all they get is go ask your dad, none have and maybe that is a good thing.

I wished my best friend and cousin had lived longer, my first wife had not been murdered.

Life is a journey we start at birth and there are good times, sad times, detours, wrong turns, dead ends, potholes, rough road, and also some memories that just never leave us. The only changes we can make are each day when we get up and begin the day. We can't change the past or future, we can only change the here and now.

Enjoy each day as if it were your last as it just might be. I was in a wreck at the end of May of this year. Thought I did good to be able to walk away, but the back issues and wrist issues are still with me and therapy for the back is not the most fun but it does seem to sort of help. The wrist I find out today when I go to see the surgeon, hope it doesn't require an operation but if it does so be it.

My own doctor when he saw the x-ray of my back wonders how I am still walking. Broke my back a very long time ago. The pain has never gone away I just got to the point I told myself it wasn't there.

My life is what it is, some good times, some not so good, is there things I wished never happened yes, but I can't change anyone but me and I am working on that and it is a life long process.

The one thing I do wish would happen is maybe just once before I die I could have thanksgiving with all my kids and their kids and partners. Never will happen but it would be nice to at least once more be with them all.

otter5555
07-17-2013, 10:04 AM
it's been a great ride. i wouldn't change a thing. but gittin' old really sucks.

popper
07-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I guess your grown up when you realize there is no 'do over' in life, just the opportunity to 'do better'. Don't have a bucket list, just try to do what is interesting. Alaska sure sounds neat, but as I can't walk for more than a mile, it would be a waste or a really slow trip.

shredder
07-17-2013, 04:30 PM
I know I can't change the past, I've already done what I could to make things right and believe I am living my life with a purpose other than my own. I do have regrets about things in my past and wish I would have realized much sooner in life it wasn't all about me. Having never been in the circumstances your friend was so I can't really answer the question.

This has it's own beauty to me. Every day we get older and somewhat more aware. Unfortunately the awareness comes after we have had lots of years to live for ourselves with little consideration for others. It is an entirely natural progression to regret some of the excesses of youth, along with some poor decisions.

For me, me legacy will reside with my children, they are my most satisfying accomplishment.

leeggen
07-17-2013, 09:08 PM
I myself would not change a thing, If I did I would not be who I am today!! Yes I did somethings that I am not proud of, those things helped form me as a person. I know that all sounds strange but think about it?? I now keep my word and promises, I also help others without expecting anything in return. I don't expect others to do my work for me altough I will do theirs to help them. I live each day as if it were the last and I don't regret what I did that day. Besides I get to shoot more cast boolits now than before.
CD in TN

07-18-2013, 06:04 AM
My biggest regret is never choosing a career. I've just bounced from job to job. At 51 I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I was fairly intelligent in high school but too stupid to put it to good use. I think maybe wildlife biologist, wildlife officer or gunsmith would have worked. My son is just like I was, I wish I could get him to learn from my mistakes.

WilliamDahl
07-18-2013, 07:14 AM

I'm thinking O'Bozo's **** of a mother before she got herself knocked up by the Kenyan.

10x
07-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Every day I have had has been a blessing - even the bad days.
I have loose plans for the future, things I would like to do, - visit eastern Europe, visit China and Viet Nam again, spend 3 months in Kentucky and Tennessee - and spend a month getting there and getting back.
Finish the rebuild on my 1972 Combat Commando, Respoke the wheels and do the brakes on my 1967 Atlas and take it on a 300 mile run.
And sight in at least 1 303 (Parker Hale No 4 with a 5 groove barrel) for the 314299.....

And spend enough time with my grandsons to give them a love of life and the skills to cope with and enjoy what ever life hands them.

In high school I wanted to be a geologist, got talked into being a teacher, graduated University as a fisheries/wildlife biologist with a minor in psychology, spent 12 years in residential construction, and gave up a career as a Fisheries biologist to be a homemaker so my wife could pursue her career.

I have done what I had to in the circumstances and have done it well. And I would not change a thing.

1Shirt
07-18-2013, 12:22 PM
I have had a good life, and would probably do it all over again, good/bad/and in between
1Shirt!

wildwilly
07-18-2013, 06:45 PM
I firmly believe that the paths I followed through my life would have significantly been altered if I had been told as a young man that people may forget what you did to them, or what you said to them, but they will never forget how you made them feel