PDA

View Full Version : Lever Action Peep Sights?

ohiochuck
07-16-2013, 05:12 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Lyman Model 21 vs. the tang peep sights?
Thanks!
Jim

Win94ae
07-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I'd rather have a peep farther from my eye, so a receiver mounted peep works better for me.
I would think which peep type works best, is up to each individual's preference.

RickinTN
07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
I really like the tang/peep performance but I don't like the fact the sight gets in the way of my gripping the wrist as I am used to. For this reason I prefer the receiver mounted peeps.
Good Luck with your choice,
Rick

smokeywolf
07-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Use to be it didn't matter; then I got old.

Like Win94ae, I do better with the aperture farther from my eye.

OverMax
07-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Glass's dictate which would work better. Receiver sight you can get up too or back off from. Plus there is an array of apertures available. Tang doesn't offer that luxury.

fecmech
07-16-2013, 08:18 PM
I have a couple of 92's in .357. One has a receiver sight and the other a tang sight. I prefer the tang sight for target work but I think the receiver sight would be a better all around sight for hunting and target work. Actually if I were to hunt with one of these I would use a fold down style open sight for closer ranges and the tang for longer shots.

Lefty SRH
07-16-2013, 08:50 PM
I've never shot a tang peep sight but I can say I am quite happy with the reciever sight I just put on my 336 35 Remmy!

40-82
07-16-2013, 10:21 PM
I've used both the receiver and the tang sights. Both work well. I am a little nervous about using a tang sight on a rifle that has very much recoil. I've read reports of eye injuries.

izzyjoe
07-16-2013, 10:31 PM
i love reciever sight's, set it to a cetain load and don't worry about it.

Mk42gunner
07-17-2013, 01:55 AM
With the receiver sight, there isn't any problem putting your thumb across the small of the stock. With every tang sight I have handled, there is.

Which is more accurate? I think that would have to be a toss-up, there isn't enough difference in sight radius to be detectable on the target.

Robert

OverMax
07-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Tang sights come with several disc/aperture sizes, and you can move your head fore or aft as with any other straight stock. Usually receiver sight doesn't have quick adjustment, requires a screw driver. Tang sights just require your fingers.

1. several disc/aperture sizes: For most lever guns concerning the Lyman Tang sight. There are basically two factory apertures available. So if you consider 2 as several. That's OK by me.

2.Usually receiver sight doesn't have quick adjustment, requires a screw driver: Lyman receiver peeps are commonly pre-set by its shooter and left as is for hunting. But in this instance it can be adjusted in the field without being to inconvenient for its shooter. In using a coin or a knife blade when deemed necessary by its shooter.

3.Tang sights just require your fingers. True. But not everyone hunts in warm weather areas. (as perhaps you do?) If its shooters hands are a bit wet or cold. Adjusting a tang sight isn't easy to accomplish in the field. In this instance {adjusting either sight} I myself would rather use a dime than my arthritic fingers in trying to twist a Tang Sights little knurled shaft while hunting in cold weather. No doubt about it.

4. you can move your head fore or aft as with any other straight stock. Very true. As doing the same movement will actually work as well on either sight as you commented. On a Tang sight mounted on one of my Winchesters. It definitely isn't comfortable for me. Because of I having to wear glass's with bifocals.
As a few others have declared here. I too have to agree concerning the lever guns. The Lyman receiver sight works better for me also.

Thanks for critiquing my comment Bill Weddle. It gave me something to do tonight.

O/M

rhead
07-17-2013, 07:17 AM
It depends on the shooter's eyes. I can get the sight picture quicker with a tang sight. others can do better with the receiver sight. Try to check both types before you make a choice.

dagger dog
07-17-2013, 08:20 AM
If you take the aperture out of a tang sight , it becomes a ghost ring and is very fast to aquire the target. Merit makes an ajustable iris style aperture to fit receiver and tang sights.

fecmech
07-17-2013, 12:04 PM
1. several disc/aperture sizes: For most lever guns concerning the Lyman Tang sight. There are basically two factory apertures available. So if you consider 2 as several. That's OK by me.

Merit makes an adjustable aperture that lets you set anything from .022 to .156, Costs $48.
I use one on my Rossi and like it much better than fixed apertures,you can easily change size as conditions change.

Dan Cash
07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
My 95 Win carries a M21. The gun is chambered for .30-40 Krag so is a relatively flat shooting cartridge. A shot beyond 300 yards is not practical and the sight with my loads requires no adjustment out to that range for hunting. Adjusting sights while in the field/on the hunt is an invitation to miss. The M21 is a robust sight and does not get out of order nor knocked off zero by rough handling in saddle scabbard or working in heavy brush. The aperture is adequate for most applications but I may modify it to accept screw in apetrures.

I have a 93 Marlin in .38-55 that is equiped with an old Lyman tang sight. the gun is used for target shooting and the sight is adequate for that application but is too fragile for the type of work done with the 1895. FWIW, if your thumb lays along the wrist of the stock, not wrapped over; it improves your trigger pull.

Ramjet-SS
07-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Skinner Peep Sights I highly recommend it well made classy and very effective.

FromTheWoods
07-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Most of my old '94's have tang sights. I prefer the Marble--it rides in the down position, a quick push down and it pops up--good for hunting. My eyes are older now, and the farther forward a sight is, the blurrier it gets, so the tang sight keeps me accurate, and plenty quick.

LynC2
07-20-2013, 07:41 PM
I've shot many 10's of thousands of rounds in NRA high-power, Palma and a bit of small bore in competition over the last 30 years using aperture sights. Until I got my Rossi 92 I had never used a tang sight and I admit I like it pretty well. It does not interfere with my grip around the stock; however I admit I have pretty big paws and might cause problems for shooters with smaller hands. I have a Marbles and like the windage adjustable base it offers; however I will admit it certainly doesn't compare to the Warner sights on my competition rifles, but it is only about 1/4 the price too. It is a good serviceable sight with a certain nostalgic appeal and is definitely functional. As far as people having had eye injuries using one, I might add I hope all use some sort shooting glasses for eye protection. All it takes is one mistake and there won't be a second chance.

Three44s
07-20-2013, 10:16 PM
I must qualify that I have never used a tang sight ......... but I have lots of useage of receiver sights under my belt.

I am wary of tang sights holding zero. I have bumped one or two receiver sights and lost a coyote or two and the receiver sight in my estimation is more solid so a less solid sight would be more suspicious.

Anything that you move into position as a sight would be further suspect as to it indexing well each time and that would also work against the tang sight.

The added sight radius of the tang might be more than neutralized by any movement.

As to focusing ........ I can't really comment on that since I have not shot a tang sight equiped weapon. I can say that I don't feel that focusing on the appeture is a factor ...... it's the front sight that counts ...... if you are obessesing over appeture focus you are losing important time and eye focus on the front sight.

You ignore the rear sight ........ that's what I was taught and for me, it works.

The adjustment range and ease to move elevation with a tang would be a factor in some conditions, but not very many rifles that tend to be iron sighted in the field shoot flat enough at longer ranges to make much use of much elevation changes .......... certain target work would be an exception.

For me, the receiver sight gets set at an optimum point and that's that.

The Skinner sight was mentioned in this thread. I talked a friend into buying one for his Marlin in .45-70 ...... I helped him install it .........

......... and he's HAPPY as a clam!!

My receiver sights are mostly Williams with one Redfield thrown in for good measure.

What ever you chose, you'll be making progress ...... the poorest peep sight beats the best non-peep iron that was ever built.

Best regards

Three 44s

detox
07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
When shooting multiple shots the tang sight will move backwards or forward if you are not careful when handling gun and will cause vertical stringing of shots fired. The receiver sight is more rigid and will not move.

fecmech
07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
When shooting multiple shots the tang sight will move backwards or forward if you are not careful

When shooting with a tang I push the tang sight forward into the detent prior to each shot with my thumb. Just a normal routine for me now.