PDA

View Full Version : Sansui Vintage G-6700 Receiver Amp!

seagiant
07-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi,
One of my hobbys is 70's Stereo! I have been looking everywhere for a Sansui G model amp to replace my Pioneer SX-750 that will be used in the workshop.

Finally came across an ad on CL where one was available that had already been recapped and cleaned and good to go for another 30 years. This turned out to be a gorgous reciever LNIB w/90 amps of power per channel! The kicker was the price $225 and no shipping as I was able to pick it up local!

Also a pic of my rebuilt German Dual 1219 TT and my mid 80's Kendell speakers from Cali!

Just thought maybe some of you guys were in the same addiction of 70"s stereo!

waksupi
07-16-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't care what the kids say, the new sound systems aren't anywhere as good as old school turntable and vinyl, or reel to reel.

I've been trying to find a good old, plain old radio, with no docks or CD players built in. Just an old tube radio that I have to let warm up, that will pull in weak stations better than the new radios.

seagiant
07-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Hi,
I like old radio too! You might try to find a tube radio club or organization in your area. If you do you will have access to people that repair these older electronics! I know a guy that is a master repairman but if it does not have tubes he wont let it in his shop!

Here is a Zenith Trans Ocean and a German Telefunken!

xs11jack
07-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Love those old vacuum tube types myself. Just aquired a General Electric console AM, FM radio this last weekend. Found a tube missing and replace it from my meger stock of tubes and the old guy came alive. Was thrilled. I have learned that a lot of studio people love tube type music amplifiers, claim they sound much cleaner than transistors. My back ground is a tech school in 1962 that taught tubes first and then transistor. So I am relearning troubleshooting all that old stuff all over again. It's a blast!
Ole Jack

seagiant
07-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Hi,
The Zenith TransOcean that I show has SW Bands also and was actually used by U.S. troops in the N. Africa fighting (Operation Torch) in WWII! I found mine at a Flea Market and with some TLC and a guy that redid the electronics had a pretty nice radio!

waksupi
07-17-2013, 12:08 AM
I see them at the steam show up here, of all places. I need to track down some owners, and see if I can haggle someone out of one.

seagiant
07-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi,
Usually with the old receivers AND the old radios what you have to take care of is replacing the old 30 year old capacitors ie.CAPS and cleaning the pots and switches with deoxit. After that you are pretty good to go! What is going on now is people are switching to sorround sound systems with a big screen TV and the old stereo systems are going on CL and E-bay and there are bargains if you are looking!

I just bought a Dual German made Turn table made in 1972 rebuilt by a gentleman considered the best in the business, but it has a new wood base,cover and a new Ortofon cartridge. It was cleaned and relubed with better more modern lube than what they had 30 years ago. It cost me, but its good to go and should last another 30 years. I now have fun finding old but like new LP vinyle for .50 cents at Goodwill and flea markets!

I also bought a 1977 Pioneer cassete tape player to plug into that cheap music source. Paid $30 on CL and another $50 to have it refurbished! A LOT of the old cassetts play very well are quite a bargain today!

W.R.Buchanan
07-28-2013, 07:09 PM
OK Greg: here ya go. I bought a Sansui Q6500 Quadraphonic Receiver amp when I was in the Philippines in 1972 brought it along with the 4-100 lb. Sansui Speakers home.

I had a 4 channel TEAC Reel to Reel and a Garard Zero 100 turntable to go with it.

I hauled all of that equipment around with me for 15 years until I finally got sick of moving it.

If I had bought the smaller bottom of the line Sansui Receiver and two small speakers and a small TEAC RtR I would probably still have them in my shop.

But what I will commend you for is the Trans-Oceanic. I have known about them since I was 12 years old and I still want one! I got to play with one for a few nights back in the 60's and was completely enthralled with all of the stuff that is floating around on the airwaves. Plus you can get signals from outer space on them so you never know if you are going to pick up the next alien invasion!

Very cool.

I just happen to have a good friend who can still work on all of the tube stuff. He's a Drummer and he does work on all of the musicians equipment. He has made my Fender Bassman Amp work for the last thirty years.

When are you coming out next? Long Beach is only 90 minutes from me.

Randy

seagiant
07-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi Randy,
I love that Transocean! It took a lot of TLC to get it like it is. Someone used it while painting their house and I had to very carefully scrape all that off and just do a real good clean up on the outside. The tech recapped it and went through it so it is good to go for another 30 years hopefully!

The Sansui recievers were sold in all the military bases around the world I hear. I have really been enjoying mine lately and my Pioneer SX 750 (50 W) is in the shop for a cleaning and getting all the lamps replaced and the caps tested. Was lucky and found an excellent solid state tech, that works out of his house so is reasonable!

I just obtained top senority in my Union so I'm hopefully not going to have to go to the left coast to get work? You never know? Maybe I can make the next shot show???

W.R.Buchanan
07-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Greg: you can stay at my place! I think my guest bed will stretch out to accommodate you?

Randy

felix
07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Sansui was one of the very first to release FET components in all signal paths. FET sound was on par with the tubes, producing little, if any, odd harmonics where not intended. Thus, their sweeter sound, in general, when compared to straight-up transistors. The very best sound was/is produced when there is zero speaker wire, set up as the power amplifier being connected directly as part of the transducer(s). The very first unit I ever heard was the Acustec (sp) Model 10 back in the late 60s. ... felix

Any Cal.
07-29-2013, 10:50 PM
I had been reading about this stuff, but have next to no experience with any of it. Well, not true, I did have a couple old cabinet stereos that sounded very good, but I don't think they were tubes, probably mid to late 70s.

My inexperienced hypothesis is that the tubes work well with the high efficiency speakers, and color sound but in a way we agree with. Sort of like the difference between incandescent and led bulbs, the incan definitely changes things, but in a way that we find intuitive to understand. The solid state are extremely accurate, but perhaps so much so that we can sense small inaccuracies in them.

Bzcraig
07-30-2013, 12:01 AM
The following came home from overseas with me (don't remember all model numbers anymore):
Sansui amp & tuner, replaced a Kenwood receiver
Pioneer cassette like pictured
Teac reel to reel
Teac turntable
Bose 901's
Equalizer
And the piece de resistance a ZeroStat....ever seen one of these?

I too got tired of lugging it all over the country and smaller seemed better!

Love Life
07-30-2013, 12:07 AM
There is way to much cool in this thread. I thought I was out of control in my search of an 80's era ghetto blaster boombox!

seagiant
07-30-2013, 01:41 AM
Hi,
Well,my first real stereo system was a Fisher I bought about 1971 when I was 16! Saved my money working all summer to get it. If you go back and look at prices,nice gear was EXPENSIVE! The Sansui equipment on the military bases were cheaper but at the same time the servicemen (and women) did not make that much to begin with! Any way you cut it military or civilian you had to come up with the dough!

I stupidly sold my Fisher system later in life and really wish I had that receiver now! The old Fishers made when Avery Fisher was there running the company are VERY collectable now!

6bg6ga
07-30-2013, 06:31 AM
7766177662776637766477665776667766777668Just saw this thread and wow!

I'm into everything. I build and repair tube equipment. I repair the classic amps and receivers from the 70's. I built my own speakers and line stage and repaired my main line tube amplifiers a pair of mono block Quicksilver 8417's. Like the old radios? I have two 1928 working repaired floor standing units.

I also have my own forum on dynaco equipment.

Old Iron Sights
07-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Now you've gone and found one of my soft spots. Pretty much a Pioneer guy myself. If I ever get the time, I'll need to start some capacitor replacement.

seagiant
07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi 6bg6ba,
I have been contemplating making a set of speakers for my workshop system. This will be powered by the 50WPC Pioneer! Do you have any good plans that would fit that application? I guess I can get plans and parts at Parts Express but was just wondering if you had any tips for a novice???

Hi OIS,
Thats a very nice system! I'm a Pioneer fan myself! That Pioneer RtoR is suppose to be very nice. As you can see I have a 1977 Pioneer Cassette player and it is really gratifying to go to the thrift shops and buy .69cent tapes that really sound nice on the old gear! I have an older Teac RtoR but tapes are hard to come by for it!

6bg6ga
07-31-2013, 06:05 AM
I don't want to rain on your parade. I will offer some advice, tip, observations and experience. You can wrap up a lot of money trying to make some halfway decent speakers. You pick drivers only to find out the off the shelf crossovers are not correct for your application and it turns into a vicious circle. Been there in the past and I have spent a bunch on money only to end up with something that was so so. I spent a ton of time with the crossovers on my speakers and I am lucky enough to be employed in the sound field where as I have the equipment to test what I put together. My speakers ended up being very flat in response. What I honestly would recommend is purchasing some Klipsch Heresys or something along this line that you like the sound of and purchasing them. This way you can be assured of the performance. The end result is you will have something that is capable of very good performance and when you ever get tired of them you can sell them for more than what you have into them.

Not putting Pioneer down by any means. I started out with a TX-7500 and SA-8500. I have a number of cassette decks sitting gathering dust as well as several RG-1's. Getting back to power.... 50 watts isn't very much unless your talking tube watts then the 50 is almost equal to a 200 watt SS amp in terms of output. The tube amp will soft clip and you won't even notice it where as the SS amp will clip and you will notice it sounding nasty.

So, getting back to the speaker question again.... I would seriously recommend purchasing something along the lines of a book shelf speaker such as the Heresy, Altec Lansing model 7 or model 9 or something in the JBL or EV line. Put the extra money into a Dynaco Stereo 70 or a pair of Quicksilvers or what ever fits your fancy. Modify the tube amp or keep it stock but upgraded.

Check out my site http://dynaco2forum.forumsmotion.com/

sparky45
07-31-2013, 10:28 AM
I have an old Teac 4010S that I brought back from Island hopping in the late '60's. Backed it with a Sansui 2000 and 2 pair of Pioneer speakers. Turntable in Yahama. Hardly ever fire it up anymore, just easier to listen to a CD or Satellite Radio. I have the manual for the 4010S and it makes interesting reading, seems that the foreign proof readers were just that Foreign. Sure brings back memories though.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/glynnm1945/Teac_zps3dbb9148.jpg (http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/glynnm1945/media/Teac_zps3dbb9148.jpg.html)

seagiant
07-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi 6bg6ba,
Thanks for the info. I am not an Audiophile by any means,although in my world travels have met a few. Opinions with that group VARY widely! You are of the "tube" school of thought and probably hold strong conventions in that regard! My new Tech that I just found is of the modern 'Solid State' kind of mind and thinks that the old tube amps have no imaging (sound stage) as good as modern SS electronics! Everyone has their opinion. I am in the middle, happy with my old Japanese 70"s gear as long as it works correctly and looks good! Thanks again!

felix
07-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Sound stage = presence (in old days). Has to do with quicker transient response throughout the mid range, starting around 125cps, and up through 4K. We used oscilloscopes to the hilt in the old days to tune various high-dollar systems. What you say is true. Certain pre amp designs have the ability to increase even-harmonic distortion to provide additional presence. Some exquisite systems were "too flat" sounding and needed help when certain recordings were played. German recordings of classical music usually needed added presence back in the 60-70 era. Direct disc recordings made during the USA 80's were done perfectly and needed no help. Keep in mind that the recording mixer person is usually responsible for the so-called presence. ... felix

6bg6ga
07-31-2013, 05:37 PM
I have an old Teac 4010S that I brought back from Island hopping in the late '60's. Backed it with a Sansui 2000 and 2 pair of Pioneer speakers. Turntable in Yahama. Hardly ever fire it up anymore, just easier to listen to a CD or Satellite Radio. I have the manual for the 4010S and it makes interesting reading, seems that the foreign proof readers were just that Foreign. Sure brings back memories though.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/glynnm1945/Teac_zps3dbb9148.jpg (http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/glynnm1945/media/Teac_zps3dbb9148.jpg.html)

I also had the Teac and looking at the picture brings back memories. Its amazing the performance that could be had from a RtoR back then. There is something about the sound of tubes, vinyl, and tape.

W.R.Buchanan
07-31-2013, 11:57 PM
Greg: the TEAC 2300 is the one I wished I had bought. I had a 4500 four channel model. it was twice as big as yours.

Randy

6bg6ga
08-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Hi 6bg6ba,
I have been contemplating making a set of speakers for my workshop system. This will be powered by the 50WPC Pioneer! Do you have any good plans that would fit that application? I guess I can get plans and parts at Parts Express but was just wondering if you had any tips for a novice???

Hi OIS,
Thats a very nice system! I'm a Pioneer fan myself! That Pioneer RtoR is suppose to be very nice. As you can see I have a 1977 Pioneer Cassette player and it is really gratifying to go to the thrift shops and buy .69cent tapes that really sound nice on the old gear! I have an older Teac RtoR but tapes are hard to come by for it!

Take a look at this http://tektondesign.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/dynaco-a-25-aural-replica-a-25/

Ickisrulz
08-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi 6bg6ba,

I made these speakers for my shop. I like the idea that the drivers are fairly inexpensive and if I run a 2x4 into one it will cost me less than $20 to replace (an individual driver that is). The paint I used is renewable too. The whole project was about $200 and they sound good to my ears. They don't really need a subwoofer, but I have one anyway because that is what I like.

http://gonecatfishin.net/LSS.pdf

There are lots of tested and loved loudspeaker designs on the internet. They range from inexpensive to thousands of dollars a pair. I have constructed two sets so far (Cabrini is the second design) and I will not purchase ready made speakers again. I like to stretch my budget.

seagiant
08-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Ick,
Thanks for the info!!! I looked at the Golden Boys Plan on Parts Express and they were designed to be an affordable "garage" speaker! To be honest was hoping to run into a nice set of speakers for the shop off of CL or a thrift store for an affordable set but have not seen anything in my area yet.

My new Tech working on my Pioneer Amp put the "build your own" bug in my ear so looking at that! Thanks again!

Any Cal.
08-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Madisoundspeakerstore.com has lots of kits and specials on drivers. I got some Aura 3" fullrange that are some neat little speakers. Put them in 2 liter ported boxes with some 1" fullrange for highs. Still only half done but they make a pretty big sound w/ 4 watts, twice that would be impressive, lots of low-end for a small little driver.

Would have more info if I ever finished the boxes properly...

Edit-Of course, after looking at the Golden Boys plan, what I mentioned is about as far from that as you can get...:oops::bigsmyl2:

6bg6ga
08-03-2013, 05:44 AM
I made these speakers for my shop. I like the idea that the drivers are fairly inexpensive and if I run a 2x4 into one it will cost me less than $20 to replace (an individual driver that is). The paint I used is renewable too. The whole project was about $200 and they sound good to my ears. They don't really need a subwoofer, but I have one anyway because that is what I like.

http://gonecatfishin.net/LSS.pdf

There are lots of tested and loved loudspeaker designs on the internet. They range from inexpensive to thousands of dollars a pair. I have constructed two sets so far (Cabrini is the second design) and I will not purchase ready made speakers again. I like to stretch my budget.

Not to rain on your parade but you have no actual graphs showing the performace of the home built speakers. Looks like a sealed box which is very inefficient and power hungry. The 1/6 octave response graph I wouldn't trust because in all actuality all parts in the crossover will vary and the actual performance will differ from what the projected graph shows. The performace of the speakers I would guess in in the lower to mid 80's. In other words 80-85 db per watt @ 1 meter. Using standard power figures your speakers will consume a lot of power and will have no low end under 70 db as shown on the graph due to the fact they are a sealed box. I will touch on speaker driver performance and tell you that speakers are made in batches and each batch needs to be checked for actual performance and the difference in performance will change the crossovers response.

So, what I am trying to tell you is this.... unless you have or can borrow the proper testing gear in which to check your product you are shooting into the wind and the results will vary greatly.

6bg6ga
08-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Driver specs

Goldwood Gw-1220/8r 12" Woofer Red Surround
This item has been discontinued. For possible replacements or substitutions, please check the drop-down box below for a list of related items to view more products in this category. This general-purpose woofer is excellent as replacement speaker for vintage systems or for use in large sealed enclosures. Gloss poly coated ribbed paper cone for extended frequency response and good durability. Red foam surround, foam front gasket, and stamped steel frame. Specifications: *Power handling: 80 watts RMS/120 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Le: 1.10 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 7.30 ohms *Fs: 37 Hz *SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 4.77 cu. ft. *Qms: 6.40 *Qes: 3.10 *Qts: 2.09 *Xmax: 3 mm *Dimensions: A: 12", B: 11", C: 4-5/8".

Just wondering if any of you speaker builders have a clue as too the specifications that I pasted above for your low frequency driver?

I'll try to touch on the more important specifications:

1st the woofer has a stamped metal frame so be careful not to distort the frame when tightening it down.

2nd it has a foam surround which means it will rot out so to speak in 10 years or less time.

3rd power handling... no mention is given as to the spec used to achieve this figure.... in the cheaper drivers its a simple burst test on a limited frequency. In the more expensive speakers pink noise will be employed and a much more accurate representation of the driver is available. They are talking 80 watts RMS power which in terms of pink noise would probably be half that figure.

4.) FS which means free air resonance which I will have you google and that saves me time trying to type out the definition because I don't type all that fast or accurate. Simple put the response on the driver in its low end would be around 37hz in its given box size of over 4cu ft when properly ported. When used in a sealed box the response will increase up to roughly 74HZ.

5.) QTS Generally when putting a speaker system together you try to find a driver with a QTS of .312 for the most accurate reproduction. Long definition which I will not type out.

6.) X max is simply the amount of travel the woofer is capable of while still being linear. In this case its only 3mm which isn't very much.

In conclusion after reviewing the project at Parts Express I deem it a total waste of your time and money. First of all you have someone trying to design a speaker that has no credentials or actual experience other than working at Parts Express. There are no actual figures shown or stated with the performance of the finished product.

There are better ways of doing this than the project some of you are considering here. While its not a lot of money I believe its projected at $100 a pair plus your time? In the long run that will be $100 down the drain. I suggest either picking a better project or simply going to your local pawn shop and purchasing some speakers that are out of pawn.

Ickisrulz
08-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Not to rain on your parade but you have no actual graphs showing the performace of the home built speakers. Looks like a sealed box which is very inefficient and power hungry. The 1/6 octave response graph I wouldn't trust because in all actuality all parts in the crossover will vary and the actual performance will differ from what the projected graph shows. The performace of the speakers I would guess in in the lower to mid 80's. In other words 80-85 db per watt @ 1 meter. Using standard power figures your speakers will consume a lot of power and will have no low end under 70 db as shown on the graph due to the fact they are a sealed box. I will touch on speaker driver performance and tell you that speakers are made in batches and each batch needs to be checked for actual performance and the difference in performance will change the crossovers response.

So, what I am trying to tell you is this.... unless you have or can borrow the proper testing gear in which to check your product you are shooting into the wind and the results will vary greatly.

You are certainly not raining on my parade and seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to show homebuilt speakers are no good. I wonder why? A lot of designs are floating around developed by people with a fair level of experience--albeit less than established manufacturers. The ones I made sound good to me in my listening environment. I was happy with the result and the price was right. These sound just as good to me as store bought units costing more. The volume level with my 20 year old receiver (100 WPC) exceeds what is comfortable for me (which is typically loud). You didn't mention the listening location in your post. Positioning can make good speakers sound bad too and there goes all your measurements. Bottom line, I don't need testing equipment to tell me something sounds good.

Just Duke
08-03-2013, 07:23 PM
The tube amps surely give a warmer sound. Unfortunately music just gives me a headache now. Where's my cane and walker?

6bg6ga
08-03-2013, 08:56 PM
You are certainly not raining on my parade and seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to show homebuilt speakers are no good. I wonder why? A lot of designs are floating around developed by people with a fair level of experience--albeit less than established manufacturers. The ones I made sound good to me in my listening environment. I was happy with the result and the price was right. These sound just as good to me as store bought units costing more. The volume level with my 20 year old receiver (100 WPC) exceeds what is comfortable for me (which is typically loud). You didn't mention the listening location in your post. Positioning can make good speakers sound bad too and there goes all your measurements. Bottom line, I don't need testing equipment to tell me something sounds good.

Correction, I have gone to some trouble to tell you what some of the specifications mean and to let you know that in addition to making something that sounds good and is relatively efficient you can also waste your time and money. I sincerely apologize for doing so because at it appears you have far more experience and knowledge than I do on the subject because you have spent over 20 years in the sound industry and have been active with audio for over 40 years.

Ickisrulz
08-03-2013, 10:57 PM
I sincerely apologize for doing so because at it appears you have far more experience and knowledge than I do on the subject because you have spent over 20 years in the sound industry and have been active with audio for over 40 years.

Don't worry about it. There's no way you could have known. No hard feelings.

seagiant
08-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Hi,
Well I rest my case,music opinions are almost as bad as religion and politics! I thought I would show a pic of my refurbished German DUAL turn table. I actually paid a little money for this as it came with new wood and hand made cover. Completely gone through cleaned and relubed with modern lubricants better than what they had in 1972! The red record is a thrift shop .50 cent special two record set! Mozart and Beethoven. It was like brand new! Nice to look for old records in great condition!

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Don't worry about it. There's no way you could have known. No hard feelings.

Evidently it went over your head. It was meant as sarcasm

If you knew ANYTHING about audio speaker design you would know that measurements ARE important. Simple measurement tell you for example if a driver polarity needs to be reversed. Simple measurements can make something that sounds good sound even better. I have no problem with simple speaker designs when they work properly and are half way efficient. I do have problems with people who claim to know what they are doing without ever looking at response but just pronounce something good because it SOUNDS good to their untrained ear.

My Klipsch Cornwall clones sounded good by ear and they sound even better after tweeking the crossovers even more. For the record I'm one of these peope that do not try for ruler flat response because ruler flat response doesn't sound good. So, yes my experience probably trumps anyone else on this forum with respect to audio design and audio repair just to name several. For the record.... I have a design using only two drivers that is far more efficient than anything brought here in this thread so far. So, experience and knowledge of drivers does come into play as does the ability to understand and use the proper test gear.

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 06:28 AM
The tube amps surely give a warmer sound. Unfortunately music just gives me a headache now. Where's my cane and walker?

Must have been listening to rap

Just Duke
08-04-2013, 06:31 AM
I also have my own forum on dynaco equipment.

This one? http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/

Just Duke
08-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Must have been listening to rap

No rap music at my house. Heavy Metal
I'm a JBL fan myself.

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 06:35 AM
http://dynaco2forum.forumsmotion.com/

This one

Just Duke
08-04-2013, 06:43 AM
http://dynaco2forum.forumsmotion.com/

This one

You? 78185 ST70?
That's just a power amp right? Kinda like a miniature version of a Crown PA amp

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Its just a modified Dynaco stereo 70. Its just a power amp no preamp section. Its modified in that the power supply filtering has been beefed up allowing the amplifier to actually perform well. Also the original driver board has been taken out and replaced with a new driver board and in this case its a driver board that uses 3) 6SN7's. Also shown on the chassis is a damper diode tube which allows for a controlled slow ramp of the high voltage. Last is the original 5AR4 is replaced with a NOS GE 5U4 rectifier tube which has a nicer midrange detail. The power transformer is a hefty HP transformer capable of higher voltage and current.

It just sounds better and as a result of better engineering or re-engineering it tests better.

Just Duke
08-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Its just a modified Dynaco stereo 70. Its just a power amp no preamp section. Its modified in that the power supply filtering has been beefed up allowing the amplifier to actually perform well. Also the original driver board has been taken out and replaced with a new driver board and in this case its a driver board that uses 3) 6SN7's. Also shown on the chassis is a damper diode tube which allows for a controlled slow ramp of the high voltage. Last is the original 5AR4 is replaced with a NOS GE 5U4 rectifier tube which has a nicer midrange detail. The power transformer is a hefty HP transformer capable of higher voltage and current.

It just sounds better and as a result of better engineering or re-engineering it tests better.

Are you guys using Russian tubes?

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Are you guys using Russian tubes?

Its interesting that you asked that. Speaking for myself I have found that the Russian tubes for the most part will exceed the performance of most American made tubes. I'm embarassed to say that. The russian 1578 for example will outperform the american 5692 and I could start a list. I enjoy using russian tubes because the price isn't inflated and the quality is there if you watch what your buying. Unfortunately there are people out there that aren't truthful about their tubes so you can buy russian junk too.

I have some Quicksilver 8417 mono block power amps that I modified to use 6550's with individual tube bias. The tubes are Sovtek. I also use 6n3cE's in my highly modified Wurlitzer 6420's in the place of the expensive 6L6GC's

The russian tubes that I have used either exceeded or were at least equal to the american counterparts.

Just Duke
08-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Its interesting that you asked that. Speaking for myself I have found that the Russian tubes for the most part will exceed the performance of most American made tubes. I'm embarassed to say that. The russian 1578 for example will outperform the american 5692 and I could start a list. I enjoy using russian tubes because the price isn't inflated and the quality is there if you watch what your buying. Unfortunately there are people out there that aren't truthful about their tubes so you can buy russian junk too.

I have some Quicksilver 8417 mono block power amps that I modified to use 6550's with individual tube bias. The tubes are Sovtek. I also use 6n3cE's in my highly modified Wurlitzer 6420's in the place of the expensive 6L6GC's

The russian tubes that I have used either exceeded or were at least equal to the american counterparts.

I had heard the same about Russian tubes ever since the wall came down.
Have they made they switch from Kilocycles and Megacycles?
The only thing good about solid state is low maintenance and lower power draw. I found tube components much easier to repair.
Do you have a vintage tube tester or do you just use your voltmeter?

Just Duke
08-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Wurlitzer 6420? Same as used with a Leslie with the spinning speaker Doppler affect?
Kind like our party buddy in Vegas used in his band STIX

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 07:39 AM
I have several vintage tube testers a Mercury 204 and a B&K 650. I generally depend on my VOM to tell me most of what I need to know. The tube testers come in handy for matching tubes. SS equipment is easy to repair and low maintenance for sure but in my humble opinion certainly lacks the clarity and quality the tube equipment delivers. Most people don't understand that its not all distortion analyzer readings as those 4 place readings don't mean too much because the ear doesn't hear much distortion under 1%. As you well know and understand some of the difference lies in if the distortion is even or odd harmonics. The tube amps clip softly so to speak and you don't get the harsh sound associated with the SS clipping.

Any Cal.
08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Just a plug for the speaker builders, there is a cool program for modeling drivers and boxes at www.linearteam.dk called winisd pro. It lets you build a box that sounds like you want it to without too much guess work. Also lets you see if the drivers will work for your application at all. Interesting to spend a couple hours messing with.

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 08:32 PM
For you speaker builders out there... there are a lot of programs that let you input the speaker model and they figure the correct tuning for the box. What these programs don't take into consideration is the variation in the driver perimeters and this alone is enough to change the box/speaker performance. So, in the big picture to obtain optimum performance some tests are necessary.

Any Cal.
08-04-2013, 10:58 PM
For you speaker builders out there... there are a lot of programs that let you input the speaker model and they figure the correct tuning for the box. What these programs don't take into consideration is the variation in the driver perimeters and this alone is enough to change the box/speaker performance. So, in the big picture to obtain optimum performance some tests are necessary.

Hmmm, so you didn't look at the link that lets you input your driver parameters so you can model the proper box for it. Saving all the snide remarks i feel your post and tone are deserving of.

6bg6ga
08-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Hmmm, so you didn't look at the link that lets you input your driver parameters so you can model the proper box for it. Saving all the snide remarks i feel your post and tone are deserving of.

What I was attempting to tell you is this .... the driver parameters are not set in stone. There are tolerances and these tolerances are enough to throw off the information your getting from ANY program like that. I was playing with programs like this when they first came out years and years ago. For the record.... I do not believe my post and tone were off. Just trying to tell you and others like you that these programs are not perfect.

When drivers are from the same batch and one driver is tested and the results written down one can count on the other drivers from the same batch number being extremely close if not a mirror of the tested one. When drivers of different batches/numbers are tested one can count on different results. Been there done that.

Like I pointed out...years ago before the free programs shareware like the program you posted a link to were available people like me purchased expensive programs that were extremely close but still not absolutes. So, yes I have had my feet wet with a number of programs like that one so there is no need for me to even visit the link because I know with 100% certainly what is available in the program and how the program works. As a matter of fact there are people like me that can and do recite the driver parameters from memory and do have a 90-95% certainty of what can and will work as well as the ability to shoe horn drivers into a specific box size by using for example 2nd order electronic tuning in addition to 4th order tuning for a specific driver/box combination.

Ickisrulz
08-05-2013, 06:50 AM
6bg6ga,

What do you hope to accomplish here with these posts? To convince us speaker building is foolhardy? To dazzle us with your experience and terminology? To force us to buy expensive testing equipment? What? You are being far from helpful and are coming across as condescending.

Ickisrulz
08-05-2013, 06:59 AM
My goals in building my speakers were these:

1. Find a design that was inexpensive and could be easily repaired by me. CL is fine, but what if those 20 year old speakers die quickly?
2. No ports. Critters get in my shop and would eventually get in the speakers.
3. "Proven" design. At least some census that they sound decent.
4. I needed to put these against the wall...not 2-3 feet from the back wall.

What I did not want was expensive speakers that would get damaged and break my heart. I wanted good bottom end, but use a sub anyway. Speakers are a compromise and not one-size-fits-all. The listening experience is subjective and who can tell someone what they like is "wrong?" I met my goals.

Shop speakers should sound good, but are not (in my case) for critical listening. Any critical listening I do are in my house using my Sennheiser 650s and my Valhalla tube headphone amp (my family doesn't share my tastes).

6bg6ga
08-05-2013, 07:10 AM
6bg6ga,

What do you hope to accomplish here with these posts? To convince us speaker building is foolhardy? To dazzle us with your experience and terminology? To force us to buy expensive testing equipment? What? You are being far from helpful and are coming across as condescending.

What I am attempting to tell you is this ...you could build two speakers and have differences between the two speakers that you will hear. Not saying not to build but then again the home builts generally will not come close to factory manufactured units. Force you to buy expensive equipment? No, generally you can go to your local speaker/electronic shop and these people will be more than happy to test the speakers for little or nothing. I'm far from helpful? Well, if I wasn't trying to be of help I would let you spend your money and be unhappy with the results. If nothing else you have learned to purchase drivers from the same batch and this is more than most people know. Condescending? I don't think so but then thats my opinion. I'm trying to help but I can't help those that aren't willing to listen. Really want to learn? Then drop by my forum and we can talk speakers and I will teach you something useful. Trying to dazzel you with my experience and terminology? Didn't think so but then again I do have the experience so why no use it? If you want to build something that you won't be 100% happy with then I will leave you alone. Want to learn something and build something that will perform even better than what is shown in the programs then I suggest that you might want to listen to me.

sparky45
08-05-2013, 09:55 AM
6bg6ga; what is your Forum and how can I find it?
Thanks

Gliden07
08-05-2013, 10:52 PM
No pictures but I have a couple of McIntosh Mono MC60 tube amps one is early 60's and one is late 60's they were rebuilt to the most updated version of the amp. they need to be gone thru again. Tuff to get the tubes for them either 6L6 or 6550 (if I remember right). Need to Quad match them and they are crazy expensive now!!

6bg6ga
08-06-2013, 06:27 AM
No pictures but I have a couple of McIntosh Mono MC60 tube amps one is early 60's and one is late 60's they were rebuilt to the most updated version of the amp. they need to be gone thru again. Tuff to get the tubes for them either 6L6 or 6550 (if I remember right). Need to Quad match them and they are crazy expensive now!!

I just pulled up a schematic and it lists either 6550's or KT88's for output tubes. There are some sellers on ebay that have matched quads of Sovtek 6550's and KT88's. I actually have a matched quad of KT88's in my drawer that I lost the boxes for when we moved. Either tube will work well in the 60. No need to find NOS GE or other expensive 6550's or KT88's. I have some NOS 12AX7's, 12BH7's and 12AU7's if your interested.

seagiant
08-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi,
Well I'm glad everyone is having fun with this thread! I was hoping to get more input on 70"s vintage stereo! I'm somewhat surprised as I know there are a LOT of "seniors" (OLD FREAKS) on here!

I went to one of my favorite Thrift Shops and found some like new Carly Simon LP"s that someone had brought in. All four for $2.00! I figure I make out $5.00 a piece back on my DUAL TT everytime I find a nice album!

6bg6ga
08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Good to see someone else is into vinyl. But it kinda looks like you might have purchased them for the album covers

seagiant
08-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi,
Well,admittedly a pretty woman never hurt my eyes! However when you have to go thru piles of Burl Ives and E.Humperdink in the hopes of finding a good artist with the record in great shape, this was GOOD! I can't pass a thrift store now without checking it out!

birch
08-16-2013, 11:31 PM
I have been addicted to to Onkyo for quite a while. They are solid state, but the THX set-ups can be infinatly adjusted to suit taste, and power is very clean. I have it paired with Polk Audio all the way around.

I found an old Servolock Onkyo at a yardsale and it is truly great. I have been finding alot of old tube stuff at garage sales lately. It seems that the new generation is throwing out the old generation without realizing what they are holding in their paws. I guess when you can upload 160gigs of music onto your phone, a cd or LP is just too much of a pain.

Please don't stop throwing out that old stereo stuff!!

6bg6ga
08-17-2013, 02:47 AM
I have been addicted to to Onkyo for quite a while. They are solid state, but the THX set-ups can be infinatly adjusted to suit taste, and power is very clean. I have it paired with Polk Audio all the way around.

I found an old Servolock Onkyo at a yardsale and it is truly great. I have been finding alot of old tube stuff at garage sales lately. It seems that the new generation is throwing out the old generation without realizing what they are holding in their paws. I guess when you can upload 160gigs of music onto your phone, a cd or LP is just too much of a pain.

Please don't stop throwing out that old stereo stuff!!

No, do keep throwing it away and people like me will pick it up and make it new like again.

seagiant
08-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi,
I think what is going on is people are going to the new surround sound systems and the "old stereo" gets thrown out!!!

popper
08-18-2013, 12:45 AM
JBL fan myself, but just gave day's AL voice of the theater consoles to my son. Magnavox was first putting FETs in commercial stuff. Mac amps were really good. For ham radios, triple conversion Hammerlauds were good, Collins, National equally good. My first was an Ocean Hopper. Had a good FET tuner in front of an Eico tube amp with JBLs from my dual showman that would rock the building.