PDA

View Full Version : The Cast Boolit Suppressed 93 Suppressed Mauser Project

HotGuns
07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I got a old beat up 93 Mauser that was so ugly it hurt to look at it. Some dude had tried to pawn it at every pawn shop in the county and he got laughed out of every shop he went into. He was asking 100 bucks for it. The stock was painted green yellow and red, as someone had a love affair with the Mexican flag. It looked like it'd been drug behind a pickup truck, hardly any finish left and the grip had about a half of a roll of electrical tape around it. Thinking that someday it might make an interesting project, I offered him 50 bucks for it...and he took it.

The barrel was shot so I tried to take it off using conventional methods. Like lots of other 100 and something year old Mausers, the barrel had grown to the receiver and refused to budge. Having little patience for such things, I walked it over to the bandsaw and chopped it off. I stuck the action in the lathe and bored out the remaining part. Soon I had a receiver sitting there begging for a barrel. It laid around in the shop awhile while I mulled over what I was going to do with it.

I finally decided to do something different for a change. I had got this niffly 6 banger mold from a group buy here a year or so ago, a .30 cal mold that was supposed to cast something like 240 grain bullets. It seemed like a good thing to do at the time, so I put my name on the list and eventually got one. I decided to put it to good use, building a rifle just for it.

Since I build a lot of Blackout/Whisper rifles and I had several barrel blanks laying around, I started turning one out. I chambered it for a 7.62x 39 AK round, but I specified a reamer with a .308 throat just because it was a .308 barrel and the .308 bullets are much more available than the standard .311/.312. I went with a Shilen barrel with a1/8 twist specifically to shoot suppressed, lead cast bullets that are "Obama Proof", meaning that when he goes stupid again and bullets are hard to get because everyone is buying them, I'll be able to cast some up.

I started out with a proven load, 7.5 grains of Accurate Arms No.5, a load that is accurate and quiet in my various other rifles.

As it turns out, once the scope was zeroed it shot very well. First loads out of the rifle put them in the same hole.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/HotGuns/762x39240Glead75AA5c.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/HotGuns/media/762x39240Glead75AA5c.jpg.html)

Most of us know that using a suppressor for cast bullet shooting aint the best thing to do. However, since the can on here is a Huntertown Arms .308 can that is user serviceable, I thought I'd try it. Its quiet and people love these things. I sell a lot of them and this one is one of my demo cans.
Once I got it all together, chambered and headspaced it and had it reblued, I put it in a Boyd's walnunt stock. This stock fits the action like a sock on a rooster and I inletted the barrel. The barrel is a medium sporter profile, since it was threaded for a silencers I made it a bit on the heavy side.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/HotGuns/93Mausertestsc.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/HotGuns/media/93Mausertestsc.jpg.html)

With the suppressor on it and a barrel that is 16", it actually handles pretty well.

Extraction works well if you operate it briskly it'll chunk it right out. Go slow and it'll leave it on top of the magazine so you can pluck it out. I prefer that for shooting targets.
The magazine fit a bit sloppy for my tastes, I'm thinking a little tig action will tighten that up.

Other than that, I'm happy with it. It's quiet, hits hard and seem accurate right off the bat. Hopefully this deer season, I can "prove" it on a deer. I'm thinking that 240 grainer will do just fine.
Its been a fun project and with the cast loads it shows promise.

Here is the only picture of one of the fist groups. Its only at 25 yards, but with that japtalianwoppiota scope with crosshairs that mimic 2x4"s that's probably all I can do.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/HotGuns/TArget762x39249glead75gAA5.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/HotGuns/media/TArget762x39249glead75gAA5.jpg.html)

nekshot
07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Very impressive indeed! Seeing junk get a second chance is a rush for me. Question about the silencer gizmo. If you have a number of calibers is it possible to have a larger size caliber work on smaller calibers? In other words can you switch them around on different guns with ifferent bore sizes?

HotGuns
07-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Yep you can. In fact, lots of people do that. We put a Thompson Machine ISIS2, a 9mm suppressor on a .22 rifle and it sounded great.

Its pretty common for people to buy .308 cans and use them for .243,7MM,270 and the like. There are a few designs out that use a .223 can that is interchangeable with a .22, but it needs to be user serviceable for cleaning because the .22's are filthy and will gunk up a suppressor.

nekshot
07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
ok, thanks

Artful
07-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Question about the silencer gizmo. If you have a number of calibers is it possible to have a larger size caliber work on smaller calibers? In other words can you switch them around on different guns with different bore sizes?

check out Youtube for video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOsXN-n3yf8

Artful
07-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Today you can get by with two good take apart cleanable cans one rated for 30'06 and lesser and one rated for .45 and smaller.
If I could add a third to the mix it would be a good 22LR can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cMuEpVOuQ

If buying today I'd be looking at 45 Octane from SWR for the pistol can.

I use my AAC Cyclone on 7.62x54 (.311), 7.62x51 (.308), 243 winchester and 223 - as that can doesn't come apart I don't use it with 22LR
I have used TAC-16 223 can which does come apart with 22LR as well as 223. I have used my 45 AWC subgun can with which is cleanable with cast boolits.

Artful
07-16-2013, 08:01 PM
HotGuns, Nice project you got there, let us know how you do at longer ranges.

rosst
07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
hey HotGuns . . .. i'm getting moa or better with 170 RCBS boolits at 1050fps thru brno .308 601 with 18 inch barrell, leupold TMR mk4, DPT can suppressor. with that reticle i have aiming marks in 10 yard lots out to 200 yards ( 100 yard zero ) on max magnification 20X, on 6.5X the hash lines read out to 370 yards in 30 yard lots. while its accurate killing power is not spectacular and great care is needed for good results. i tried 210grn as the heaviest boolit but found no advantage over the 170s, thru and thru is the norm with all weights. a range finder and app like ' Sterlok ' there is a free version, are a great aid in landing the boolit in the best spot, i would say a must if you want to go past spitting distance . . . good luck

R.

izzyjoe
07-16-2013, 10:45 PM
that's a cool set up, i've never seen a 93 mauser with a magazine like that.

copperlake
07-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Is that a 89-91 magazine?

HotGuns
07-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Its actually a 91 Mauser that was built in 93. For some reason I keep referring to it as a 93.

HotGuns
07-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Hey Rost,

Its been my experience that the long heavy bullets need a faster twist than normal to stabilize, thus the reason I picked the 1/8 twist. 1/10 does fine for up to 180 grains, but it is worthless for anything about that.

UBER7MM
07-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Hey Rost,

Its been my experience that the long heavy bullets need a faster twist than normal to stabilize, thus the reason I picked the 1/8 twist. 1/10 does fine for up to 180 grains, but it is worthless for anything about that.

This is true. Here is the formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhill_formula

Enjoy,

ironhead7544
07-21-2013, 10:28 AM
HotGuns: Would like to hear more about cleaning the can. Is it a big problem with a lot of lead in there or just crud from the lube? Beautiful job on the rifle. I was thinking about the same sort of thing with the 7.62x39 but the lead bullet fouling thing stopped me. Seems like a perfect setup using bullets that dont cost a fortune.

HotGuns
07-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I pulled the can apart yesterday and had a look at it. Its wasn't bad enough for me to clean it. There is no leading whatsoever in the barrel and I see nothing other than the usual powder fouling on the baffles. There was no lube remnants that I could see on the baffles which is a good thing, when the lube is coming off it tends to vary the weight of the bullets which makes them less accurate.

One thing though, I use hot lube on the bullets. Years ago I became convinced that the hot lubes were the way to go. I used to see targets with lube splattered all over them, which told me that some of it was shedding on the way to the target. Me and a friend of mine did some experimenting with the standard lubes vs the hot lubes and I became convinced enough that I haven't use a cold lube since. To me, its worth the extra step of waiting until the lube heater heats up the lube.

rosst
07-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Hey Rost,

surprised at that . .. i found out to 300 yards accuracy was fine with the 210s, thats as far as i went. There is a slight wobble to the bullet going by the entry hole in the target, but thats all, it was consistant .

cheers R.

kens
07-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Hi,
I just wrapped up a Mauser small ring 98 project in 7.62x39. Maybe we can swap dope on making it feed. I posted about a Lee 185gr mold for the rifle.