MtGun44
07-16-2013, 12:43 AM
I got a Ranch Dog 190 gr .35 cal mold for my .35 Rem Marlin. Unfortunately,
it is JUST barely possible to close the lever with it in the crimp groove. Very
hard into the throat, I shot a few and they were OK, but it doesn't fit my
.35 Rem at all.

I have an old 358315 and I have had some success with a couple loads with this
one. I'll be back to it.

Anybody else have trouble getting the 190 RD to chamber in a 336?

Bill

ammohead
07-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Bill, I see you are not new here so forgive me if I am suggesting something that you have already thought of. If you are that hard into the throat perhaps you can size down half a thou or so. Throat fit is usually a diameter thing. If you are hard into the lands you can always trim the length of your brass a tad.

ammohead

btroj
07-16-2013, 07:15 AM
I find it isn't a diameter thing at all, it is the fit of the ogive to the throat. Hit the ends of the lands too early and the lever won't close easily.
I have the same issue with a 336 in 30-30 with a good mould. Trimmed cases about 15 thou short to solve that one. Man that sucked.

This is the issue with Marlins, the throat lengths vary so much. If the throat is even a few thou short then this is what happens. Other than trading the mould the only real answer is to rim cases short so they can be crimped in the groove. Sadly, that much trimming sucks unless you have a power trimmer of some sort.

Nobade
07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
My Marlin 35 rem. had the same issue. Looking at it with the borescope revealed absolutely no throat at all. The rifling was full height all the way to the end of the chamber and had no bevel on the ends. So I pulled the barrel and just kissed it with my 35 cal. throater. Problem solved - ammo chambered easier and accuracy improved considerably. You might do a chamber cast and see if that is what you are dealing with. That Ranch Dog boolit is a good one when you get everything fitting together like it is supposed to.

-Nobade

john hayslip
07-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Norm Johnson had an article in American Gunsmith where he took some fine abrasive and a dowel with a split and worked on the throat. Might be a cheap way out. I'm having the same problem closing mine but I had assumed (looks like I made myself look like an ---) a dirty shoulder or a long shouldered case without any critical thinking. So this is something I'm going to have to think on. Does someone rent a 35 throater??

MtGun44
07-17-2013, 01:26 AM
I will use my friend's borescope and see what the throat is like. It takes the 358315 just fine, so
I wonder if the throat is really off.

R5R nailed what the issue is. I may try trimming a case short and making a dummy round,
good idea!

Bill

mroliver77
07-17-2013, 02:19 AM
I have not looked at my 35 rem but my 30-30 marlin has no throat as such. There is an abrupt "funnel" from the neck o.d. size down to the lands (.301"). A really sucky situation. It is my belief this is why they need harder alloy and not the MG.
J

popper
07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Or just FCD it. Works for me,336 30-30 & 308 AR. No setback and good accuracy. I don't even use much crimp, a tad more than just removing the bell. Every once in a while the AR bolt slams the nose into the magwell & I get massive setback, but it won't feed anyway, a jam and not a safety problem. I only trim to clean up the mouth or when the case is actually too long.

detox
07-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Wouldn't some .357 pistol boolits work. Do you have a couple of pistol moulds in this caliber.

I have the RCBS gas checked 180 grain silhouette (hard word to spell) mould. Maybe i could send you some to try...let me know. These are cast with Lyman#2
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004482154

MtGun44
07-18-2013, 11:19 PM
FCD wouldn't change a thing. The ogive jams into the rifling and almost prevents closing - basically
have to slam the lever with your palm a couple times. Not good.

No problem with several SWC pistol design, but I am looking for a hunting load, not a plinker. The 180 may
work if the nose section us well under groove diameter. I'm just surprised about the RD design, I had
thought these were specifically designed for Marlins.

Bill

Denver
07-19-2013, 12:41 AM
FCD wouldn't change a thing. The ogive jams into the rifling and almost prevents closing - basically
have to slam the lever with your palm a couple times. Not good.

No problem with several SWC pistol design, but I am looking for a hunting load, not a plinker. The 180 may
work if the nose section us well under groove diameter. I'm just surprised about the RD design, I had
thought these were specifically designed for Marlins.

Bill

They were, but not all Marlins were created equal it seems. I have that mold and a Marlin 336RC in 35 Rem and this boolet is the most accurate of any I've used. No problems with chambering at all. My favorite load with the RD boolit is 16 grs of 2400 and Fed 150 primer.

btroj
07-19-2013, 07:06 AM
I think that over the years Marlin changed chambers readers like Lyman did mould cherrys. How the throat is cut depends in the time frame the gun was built.

You might have the last one they did off that reamer and the throater portion was worn the most.

Enjoy the case trimming, it will be your best friend.

detox
07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
I got a Ranch Dog 190 gr .35 cal mold for my .35 Rem Marlin. Unfortunately,
it is JUST barely possible to close the lever with it in the crimp groove. Very
hard into the throat, I shot a few and they were OK, but it doesn't fit my
.35 Rem at all.

I have an old 358315 and I have had some success with a couple loads with this
one. I'll be back to it.

Anybody else have trouble getting the 190 RD to chamber in a 336?

Bill

Call Ranch Dog and tell him your problem. Can you contact him?

richhodg66
07-19-2013, 10:50 AM
No experience with the .35, but the one he designed for the .30-30 worked great in my Savage 99. Haven't tried it in a Marlin yet, I only have one and it's a '60s vintage one so no idea how it'll work.

For my .35, I got the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 bullet, seems to be the one that works best in most rifles.

TXGunNut
07-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Hope you get it to work, my 336 loves that boolit and I think it will serve you well.