PDA

View Full Version : EDM rifling in Smiths

Dr. A
10-06-2007, 12:42 PM
What can anybody tell me? Doesn't seem to be any regular talk on the boards. Being a Marlin fanatic, I've gone over the pros and cons of microgroove regularly for years. I learned what ways the gun will shoot and what won't. (microgroove shoots cast very well) The only info I can get on this is:

All have EDM rifling if they were made in the last 5 years. I think the M-625 has a little deeper
rifling because so competition oriented. Mostly used with cast bullets in competition. M-642 is for
self defense with a 2" bbl. , hard to shoot real accurately, mostly used with JHP's.
The M-629 should shoot well with cast bullets if you keep velocity down. Maybe try
a 240 gr. bullet at 1000 to 1100 fps. Still will work best with the jacketed hunting style bullets.

To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: 629 barrel

Hello,

I own a couple of Smiths, and know both of them to be good shooters. My primary plinking gun is a 625-8 I bought earlier this year. I was wondering if you could tell me if this has the EDM rifling. Also, is the rifling any different than other current production guns. If so, would it be any different than a current production 629 I am considering buying. I've been told this rifling is not as accurate for cast bullet shooting. My 625 is very accurate, and if their made of the same materials, I see no problems with shooting cast.

My 642 does not shoot cast as accurately as the 625. Could be me, but the jacketed go exceptionally. The rifling does not seem as sharp as does the 625.

Any illumination as to the type of rifling these guns have would be most helpful.

Also,

Brian Pearce had an article on the Smith 44 mag a year ago and went into a bit of detail of how the EDM rifling shot jacketed better than cast.

The problem with cast shooting came to me a bit more obviously when I made up a higher pressure load for my 625. My ruger Blackhawk with 45ACp historically was slightly inferior with cast boolit shooting (slightly). Stretching out a load--that is getting away from a target load, I found the Ruger far superior.

I'm worried that if I choose to get a modern 629, it'll shoot cast fine to 1100fps, but won't shoot cast well at higher velocities. My brother contends perhaps this is a similar problem as with microgroove. Those that don't know "how to shoot the load are giving their own testamonial. Any experience with cast and the EDM rifling? I was thinking about a 4 inch 629. Perhaps I'll stick with Ruger. I've never had to struggle with a Ruger and cast.

dubber123
10-06-2007, 01:15 PM
My only experience is with a newer 625, and it's quite accurate, 3" at 50 yds. with no special load development. Also a 500 S&W thats very accurate with heavy cast loads, under 2" at 50 yds. I don't know if the 629's have shallower rifling or not, but I would doubt it. I would expect a newer 629 to shoot cast as fast as prudent, but thats just supposition on my part. I'm sure someone else on here has a newer .44 Smith that can comment.

Dale53
10-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I have a recent 625-8 and its accuracy is superb. After I bought it I was concerned with the disparaging remarks on the internet regarding EDM rifling. It turned out to be an absolute "Non-Issue" with the 625-8.

I just brought home a nearly new S&W 629 Performance Center "Light Hunter". I should know in a few days if its a shooter with cast. I have to load some ammo and should get out to the range early in the week. I'll sure be one unhappy camper if it won't work well with cast at ANY reasonable velocity. I pretty much "don't do jackets". I am optimistic, however, simply due to the EXCELLENT performance of my JM 625-8.

Dale53