PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt MIN OAL??????

bangerjim
07-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Just got a new Lee 160gn 45 mold (90570) for lighter weight loads. My question is on min OAL.

Specs list 1.600" as MAX OAL for a 45 long colt, but how about 1.5"? That is the length of the cart when the 160gn boolit is seated to the crimp groove.

I shoot 45LC carbines and several 45LC revolvers. Does the length even really matter in those?

Advise you thoughts! Before I load up 200 of these little dudes for this weekend.

bangerjim

chsparkman
07-15-2013, 12:11 PM
With such a light boolit in the .45 Colt, I'm not surprised it's shorter. Won't hurt a thing. Make up some test loads and give it a go.

Jupiter7
07-15-2013, 02:21 PM
I'd cycle some dummies to be sure in the lever gun. I shoot the same boolit in my blackhawk w/o issue.

Sensai
07-15-2013, 02:32 PM
As has been said, a dummy load is the best way to tell if the OAL will work for you. I normally seat a boolit in an unprimed/uncharged case for each new boolit that I use. I just seat to where I would if I crimped, but don't crimp. That way you can see if it cycles OK through the action, and if not, adjust 'til it does.

joec
07-15-2013, 02:41 PM
As has been said, a dummy load is the best way to tell if the OAL will work for you. I normally seat a boolit in an unprimed/uncharged case for each new boolit that I use. I just seat to where I would if I crimped, but don't crimp. That way you can see if it cycles OK through the action, and if not, adjust 'til it does.

+1 on this especially with a lever gun or rifle. Revolvers as long as it doesn't bind the cylinder not much problem unless too high of pressure is caused do to being too short.

badboyparamedic
07-15-2013, 05:11 PM
I load the same boolit, it is short but I crimp in the top groove, works well in both my revolvers and lever gun.