PDA

View Full Version : Universal Rifle Case Belling Die

BIGRED
07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a universal belling die for rifle calibers or do i need to get caliber specific ones?
I thought i read somewhere on this site that there was a universal type?
Just started load for Rifle and Pistol Belling die just doesn't work as well as i would like.

07-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Research Lyman's M-die.

At the most, you'll only ever need two bodies -- one long, one short -- and caliber specific expander plugs. Depending on boolit size, custom plugs may be required, but they are available for forum members at very reasonable prices.

Don't confuse the Lyman setup with the Lee. They are two totally different concepts, and as different as night and day. If all you want to do is "bell" the case mouth, then the Lee will work. If you are the least bit concerned about case neck tension and proper boolit-to-seating die alignment, then the Lyman system is the way to go.

The M-die is a true neck "expander", while the Lee so-called "expander" die is a misnomer, as it only "bells" or "flares" the case mouth.

john hayslip
07-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Lee has a universal die. It is basically just to conical inserts that you can put in whichever way for the cartridge you are working on. The M dies work better because they work with cases of different lengths if you haven't trimmed the cases to length. If cases untrimmed than the Lee will give a different bell, more or less, on each case of a different length. the M dies have basically a step for each caliber so you get pretty much the same bell on each case .

BIGRED
07-15-2013, 01:24 PM
After some more research i found a few threads here and Most people recommended the M die. So i just ordered one for my 35 Rem (short Version) the M die seems to be alot better than the lee. I don't think i will mess with swapping expander plugs, so i will just buy caliber specific ones as i need them.

Thanks for all the help

Ron

1hole
07-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Lyman's excellant "M" two-step expander and flare die is a whole different thing from Lee's simple universal flaring die. Which is "best" depends on what the user wants.

I prefer to use a rifle M die after sizing in an FL die without an expander ball for jacketed bullets as well as cast.

nekshot
07-15-2013, 03:09 PM
what about needle nose pliers ?

Tonto
07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Lee die is just plain terrific and works for about everything.