PDA

View Full Version : Rossi M92

pdawg_shooter
07-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Just won an auction on a new Rossi M92. 44mag, octagon barrel, color case receiver for $425 + $25 shipping. Did I do good?

phonejack
07-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Yep ! I would do this first. Look at the utube videos on how to disassemble a M 92. Not hard. Clean everything . Take hones and jewelers files and smooth everything . Lube and reassemble. Make up a dummy cartridge of the bullet profiles you want to shoot. ENJOY !

joec
07-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Yep ! I would do this first. Look at the utube videos on how to disassemble a M 92. Not hard. Clean everything . Take hones and jewelers files and smooth everything . Lube and reassemble. Make up a dummy cartridge of the bullet profiles you want to shoot. ENJOY !

I agree with most of this however make a dummy round before you take it down completely. It is easy to dismantle not so easy to get the bolt back in without some practice and a dummy round. I advise people to spend the $60 or so for the Steve Gunz video and tune kit. The video covers tear down and reassemble as well as a section on tuning it. I have one in 45 Colt with the same finish and the 20" octagon barrel. Steve Gunz site also sells a lawyer safety plug and I have an extra one I will send you if you wish blue finish, just PM me if interested. Not much to remove the safety and replace it with the plug and if you don't loose the small parts it can be put back just as easily. Takes a 1/16" punch and small hammer is it and took me about 1 minute to change mine.

joec
07-15-2013, 08:52 AM

I agree with most of this however make a dummy round before you take it down completely. It is easy to dismantle not so easy to get the bolt back in without some practice and a dummy round. I advise people to spend the $60 or so for the Steve Gunz video and tune kit. The video covers tear down and reassemble as well as a section on tuning it. I have one in 45 Colt with the same finish and the 20" octagon barrel. Steve Gunz site also sells a lawyer safety plug and I have an extra one I will send you if you wish blue finish, just PM me if interested. Not much to remove the safety and replace it with the plug and if you don't loose the small parts it can be put back just as easily. Takes a 1/16" punch and small hammer is it and took me about 1 minute to change mine.

Greg B.
07-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I bought a new Rossi .357 M92 about four years ago for cowboy action. The only thing I did was clean the barrel and make up some dummy rounds to be sure my handloads would feed reliably. It has worked fine ever since. The action has smothed up with use. I would try shooting it first and then do the action job if you figure it needs it.

LynC2
07-15-2013, 02:47 PM
I just got my Rossi 92 in .357 Mag. a few days ago and the first thing I did was disassemble it, clean and polish all the moving parts. To say they are pretty rough would be an understatement. Sure they work, but removing the machining burrs is comparable to cycling the action a few thousand times. I also tweaked the hammer spring for a lighter pull and polished the sear surfaces. It turned out very well IMO.

Ninety Caliber
07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
All I can say is $479.00 and about an hour and a half worth of work got me one awesome CAS main match rifle! It's faster than I am and that's plenty for me. Is it a '73 noooo, but I'll put it up against ANY Marlin for speed. As far as smooth it puts a Marlin to shame! Just my two....YMMV :)

Jupiter7
07-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Them loading gates will wear your thumb out! Sharp edges and stiff springs. Still shoots straight.

snaketail
07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
You did good, $479 is a steal. Mine got better the more I shot it. At first it wouldn't cycle well - every round hung up, but after shooting it a while it got much better. After a few months it works just fine. The only 'extra' I've added is a tang sight because the semi-buckhorn wasn't working for me.

sparky45
07-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Them loading gates will wear your thumb out! Sharp edges and stiff springs. Still shoots straight.

Do the Steve Gunz mod and that won't be a problem anymore.

marlin39a
07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Beautiful gun. Can only add you might have to install a higher front sight. Marbles has a great selection.

pietro
07-16-2013, 01:08 PM

I went with a bolt peep sight on mine (using a Skinner LoPro in a handmade plug), that replaced the bolt-top lawyer safety, and the rifle zeroed in 3 shots using the issue front sight (which tip I painted orange).

pdawg_shooter
07-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Picked up my Rossi last night. A bit better than I expected. Some roughness in the action, but very little. wood to metal fit was good. as was the bluing. The color case on the receiver was very nice. Cycled all three of my loads, 240gr Jacketed, 240gr SWC, and a 280gr RNFP without a hitch. All in all I am happy. Compared to a Remington built Marlin it is way ahead. I will do a little shooting this weekend and report back.

Ninety Caliber
07-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Congrats! You're gonna LOVE it.

joec
07-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Picked up my Rossi last night. A bit better than I expected. Some roughness in the action, but very little. wood to metal fit was good. as was the bluing. The color case on the receiver was very nice. Cycled all three of my loads, 240gr Jacketed, 240gr SWC, and a 280gr RNFP without a hitch. All in all I am happy. Compared to a Remington built Marlin it is way ahead. I will do a little shooting this weekend and report back.

When you feel the urge to redo the stock on it I highly suggest you go with some 0000 steel wool or 400 grit wet/dry sand paper and clean off the old finish. Then follow the direction on the Birchwood Casey TruOil. I applied 8 coats to mine and when dried used 3 coats of their Stock Conditioner and Sheen, and then their wax. They also make a filler that works well as two stains both walnut shades that look good also. I also suggest you get a metal magazine follower to replace the plastic one they come with. They are available from Steve Gunz and The Smith Shop. The Smith Shop also sells stainless steel springs for the magazine. As far as tuning it Gunz has a DVD and kit which is great but also a lot of information available on the web or check out Rossi Rifleman one of Ranch Dog's forums.