PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 Cavity Mold Handles

bmblong
10-06-2007, 07:22 AM
The wood part of my handles come loose all the time. That includes the sprue plate handle. Anyone found a permanent fix for this? Do they make any special epoxy that holds wood to metal? I just figured I couldn't be the only one with this problem.

trickyasafox
10-06-2007, 07:47 AM
I don't have an answer but please share when you get one! My sprue plate handle likes to just fall off on occasion. . . .

Dale53
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
This came up on another thread a couple of days ago. About a year ago, someone on here stated that they just used "High Temperature Silicone Seal" from the local auto parts store. I purchased a small tube and tried it. Apparently the stuff heat cures as I just applied it to a hot mould handle and kept on casting. It truly solved the problem. I have since used in on a couple of others.

If you don't immediately fix the problem, the next thing that will happen is the handle will break...

It is now my "go to" for this problem.

Dale53

Maven
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I had the same problem with both Lee and Lyman handles. I use "Devcon" 5 minute epoxy, although other brands will work too, and have never had a problem with it or loose handles again. Just make sure you roughen and degrease the metal first and use enough epoxy so that it oozes out of the front part of the handle. Clean the excess with denatured alcohol and allow the epoxy to cure for 24hrs.

imashooter2
10-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Silicon caulk works just like the more expensive silicon sealer from the auto parts store. I'm to the point that I knock the handles off a new set and caulk them before I start casting. That way they never come loose.

Catshooter
10-06-2007, 01:22 PM
You can also drill a small hole and pin them with a small finish nail.

Cat

DanM
10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
I have replaced most my lee 6cav wood handles with 3/4" cpvc pipe. I secure them with high strength epoxy. Works very well, and seems to be a permanent solution. As one breaks, I change it over to pipe.

chunkum
10-06-2007, 04:02 PM
J & B Weld has been a permanent fix with any wooden mould handles looseness.
c.

bmblong
10-07-2007, 09:15 AM
You know I just happen to have some JB weld laying around. I have some silicone caulk too. I think I'll try that JB weld though. That stuff is tough as nails. Lots of good ideas from you guys. I didn't see any threads on this and figured if I had the problem most other people did too.

LIMPINGJ
10-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Another vote for hi temp RTV. I just use whatever leftover tube is in the shop at work.

arkypete
10-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Me thinks there's money to be made, making replacement handles for Lee molds. Maybe using oak or ash like the Saeco handles.
Jim

Dale53
10-08-2007, 12:44 AM
arkypete;
I've had problems over the years from ALL makes of mould handles. However, I have never had one break until it first got loose. If you fix them IMMEDIATELY when they come loose, ALL seem to work forever without breaking.

On the few that broke before I "fixed" them, I replaced them with an appropriate sized wooden dowel that had "good grain".

Dale53