PDA

View Full Version : I need help from one of our machinists... not firearm related.

Sweetpea
07-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Hey, guys, a while back I had some work done on my motorcycle.

The mechanic told me that the front axle was not original, and was too short, only catching a few threads.

I found an axle from a salvage yard online, bought it, and it sat around for a while.

Today, I decided to try and change it out.

I found that the new axle was exactly the same as the old one, and apparently, the mechanic had just stripped the threads out of the fork... I'm not real happy about this!

So... the easiest thing I can see to do is to have a new axle made, with a longer threaded section.

If anybody here is interested in helping me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not wealthy by any means, but I have a good idea the kind of work this would take, and I don't mind paying to have it done. I'm posting this here, because I know we have a number of guys that can do this, and I can trust.

I can take pictures with measurements, OR send you one to measure yourself.

Please post here, or PM me if you are interested...

Thanks much, Brandon

Rusty W
07-14-2013, 08:04 PM
What type of motorcycle? Heli coil is the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe not enough of the fork body to drill out for a heli coil.

JRPVT
07-14-2013, 08:27 PM
+1 on the heli-coil. Normally the other end is clamped so it won't work loose anyways.

Sweetpea
07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
1984 Honda magna.

The fork has a hole going up through the center, with a threaded portion on either side.

I guess a helicoil might do it, but a new axle could just be threaded in...

Brandon

redneckdan
07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
1984 Honda magna.

The fork has a hole going up through the center, with a threaded portion on either side.

I guess a helicoil might do it, but a new axle could just be threaded in...

Brandon

I had an 85 sabre 700.

That hole up thru the bottom of the fork slider (the part the axle screws into) is for a bolt that threads into the fork damper and holds your fork together.

Option 1 is a threaded insert and then drilling a hole thru for the damper bolt.

Option 2 is a new fork slider. You should be able to find a slider fairly cheap from a wrecked bike. Get a set of seals and bushings and do a front end rebuild while you are at it. Bike will ride much better. Here is a full front set, may not fit depending on if you have V35 45 or 65. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=261246024116

More than likely the aluminum galled to the threads of the axle and tore out when the axle was removed. Alloys back then aren't as good as they are now. The smart money is on option two. You are looking at about $100 for a rebuild between the parts and a couple tools you will have to make.

If you need help don't be afraid to holler. I have a factory service manual for the V45, if you have a V45 the manual is yours for the taking. SabMag web ring is a good resource too.

Sweetpea
07-14-2013, 09:09 PM
If you need help don't be afraid to holler. I have a factory service manual for the V45, if you have a V45 the manual is yours for the taking.

redneckdan, I could definitely use this, as it is a V45/V42.

PM headed your way, and thanks for the info.

Brandon

Rusty W
07-14-2013, 10:43 PM
You might be able to take off the wheel and fender. The lower section should just rotate around where you can see the threads better. Maybe a chase w/a tap would clear it out enough to get some good threads. Another option is a time-sert. I like them better when there's enough room/meat to work. A rebuild probably isn't a bad idea if you have to go that way, new seals, fluid, maybe a bushing. Can't remember if those are air forks or not. http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html