PDA

View Full Version : lee 1 oz

stripercrazy
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
76164 shot this group today have to work on the sights...I poured out the shot and put lee slugs in....I got this smoothbore barrel used so I got to sight it in better....it was fun.,...baby steps lol 40 yards

jmort
07-14-2013, 04:52 PM
"I got this smoothbore barrel used so I got to sight it in better....it was fun"

Very good 40 yard group with smooth bore. Especially since the Lee slug is designed for rifled barrels, but will obviously work in a smooth bore. Fun is a big bonus.

pipehand
07-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Looking good. About one inch dispersion per each 10 yards.

bangerjim
07-14-2013, 08:04 PM
I am having trouble finding anybody locally that carries the wadding (and really knows much of anything about reloading 12GA slugs) that I can get my supplies from. They just look at me funny and ask "WHY would you want to reload/shoot slugs?"

What do you use for the wadding and husk?

banger

pipehand
07-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Bangerjim, you mean wads and hulls, right?

Wad wise, the two most successful wads have been the Winchester waa12 white wad, and the Federal 12S3 maroon wad. Both with .125" fiber "nitro" wads under the slug.

A lot of shops don't carry much in the way of shotgun reloading components because there is not much demand, especially since bulk orders through the internet are so much cheaper.

There are quite a few threads on this forum dedicated to loading the Lee slug.

bangerjim
07-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks~

I am a metal cart guy but want to get into 12ga slugs. They are so expensive to buy!

Yes I meant wads and hulls.....Not that familiar with the lingo for shotguns yet. I have a 6 station Dillon reloader I bought several years ago for $5. Birdshot shells are so cheap, I would never bother, but slugs.......that's a different story.

I'll check out the threads.

bangerjim

jmort
07-14-2013, 09:30 PM
You can save a bundle on slug and buck shot.

gamma50
07-15-2013, 01:27 PM
in a federal gold medal hull I use a Wa12 wad with petals cut down to half inch, 1 20 gauge nitro card under slug , I use Win 209 primers and 32 grs. HS-6 and roll crimp shut, most people use fold crimp but roll crimp looks store bought, watch your oal, this isn't max like Lees data of 36 grs. but it wont jar your teeth either like 36 to 40 grs which is what Lee says is max in GM hulls, 40 grs might dislocate your shoulder!

Hogtamer
07-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Gamma, didn't dislocate anything but gashed my brow w a scope I installed on an 870 torching off 36 gr HS-6 behind some buckshot loads. Never did that with a 30/06! Banger, the more questions you ask the less time and money you'll spend figuring out the load that works for you. Great advice form some folks on this site. One thing that will amaze you though, is the retained energy of big lead (1 oz or better) out of shotguns. I don't use the word much, but awesome is the appropriate term. I have seen 4" trees topple from the kiss of a slug after penetrating my backstop!

gamma50
07-15-2013, 04:43 PM
I forgot to say " follow all published load data hulls, wads powder, primer, and don't change data " you can allways backoff on max loads, that is okay, but if you change a wad or primer from data you may blow your gun up. what I sais above is what I got from Lyman and other load data books, be carefull! and iits nice you enjoy your reloads, backing your charge of HS-6 to 34 or 33 maybe a nicer load, those Lee slugs will put a big hole in just about anything..

Hogtamer
07-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Oh yeah, what gamma said! Here's a PDF you can download that's been a great resource for me.
http://hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf
You're in for some fun.