PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat cartridge loading

smoked turkey
07-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I posted a few days ago on needing loading information for the 500 A square cartridge. Information is sparse at best, but nonexistent for cast boolits as far as I have been able to determine. Having gotten no responses I am lead to believe that either no one on here has any information on the cartridge or those that do have not seen the request. What I am wondering now does anyone here have knowledge of the old Powley slide rule system for IMR powders and if so would that work for me in development of a load for this cartridge?" I have looked for information on this Powley slide rule and would like to find one to purchase if anyone has one to sell. I have seen them on ebay in the far past but didn't feel the need for one at the time. I also want to do a similar load development for the 470 Capstick so it is in the mix too. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your input.

swheeler
07-14-2013, 03:51 PM
45Nut/Ken owns and shoots a 500A Square, pm him.

swheeler
07-14-2013, 04:02 PM
You could also get published data and use that for reference to work up loads. I think several companies carry A Squares loading manual, Midway, Midsouth, amazon, Ebay etc

Cosmiceyes
07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Here is what the A-Square manual shows for those three powders.
600 gr. A-Square Dead Tough bullet
26" barrel
Maximum Average PSI: 63,860

H-4895 106.0 gr. 2346 fps 55,300 psi Average
H-4895 115.0 gr. 2474 fps 61,600 psi Average
IMR-4064 112.0 gr. 2380 fps 52,000 psi Average
IMR-4064 117.0 gr. 2503 fps 61,300 psi Average
IMR-4320 110.0 gr. 2382 fps 59,100 psi Average
IMR-4320 115.0 gr. 2465 fps 65,700 psi Average, load exceeds max avg psi
Hope that helps and gives you a place to start with those powders.

Link to 470 Capstick http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=510&caliber=.47&caliberid=28&header=.47%20Caliber%20Reloading%20Data

huntnetwork.net/modules/wfsection/html/​Ah.470%​20Capstick%​20... · PDF file

Nobade
07-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Just get yourself a copy of Quickload. It has that cartridge in it, and you can make up anything you like with cast or jacketed bullets.

PM me if you need any data for a specific combination.

-Nobade

Whiterabbit
07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
oh boy! I like this thread. I've been slowly assembling parts for a 510 wells express rifle, and will happily enjoy seeing load information (which is better than load data) added to the cast boolits archive.

smoked turkey
07-15-2013, 01:33 PM
I appreciate all the good and very informative responses to my question. I have a starting place now. I am still waiting for some responses to my PMs, but so far I am happy. I cannot believe that cast boolit reloading information is not more readily available for these big thumpers. At least to me shooting cast is much more pleasurable (and affordable) than jacketed bullets. Thanks all.

Whiterabbit
07-15-2013, 01:46 PM
by the way, what cast boolit are you looking at using?

Nobade
07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
I appreciate all the good and very informative responses to my question. I have a starting place now. I am still waiting for some responses to my PMs, but so far I am happy. I cannot believe that cast boolit reloading information is not more readily available for these big thumpers. At least to me shooting cast is much more pleasurable (and affordable) than jacketed bullets. Thanks all.

You didn't get the response yet?

-Nobade

texassako
07-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Since there is H-4895 data, I believe you could use Hodgdon's 60% of max load formula for reduced loads combined with a cast bullet.

Whiterabbit
07-15-2013, 07:02 PM
by the way, what cast boolit are you looking at using?

Hi Turkey,

I found your other post. You are using a 515142. I have that mold too. I bought it to go with my wells express when I can save enough nickels to get the darn thing. I'm REALLY hoping you can share your experience with it in the A-square, especially if you use H4895 (the powder I'll be using too)

What's the barrel twist on your A-square? I'm planning on going with 1 in 14.

MarkP
07-15-2013, 07:18 PM
What I am wondering now does anyone here have knowledge of the old Powley slide rule system for IMR powders and if so would that work for me in development of a load for this cartridge?" I have looked for information on this Powley slide rule and would like to find one to purchase if anyone has one to sell.

Try this link out: http://kwk.us/powley.html

Very easy to use; just need to prime a case with a spent primer weigh it, fill with water re-weigh it subtract values. Data matches load data form an older IMR manual (from a few random samples I compared) and with chronographed hand loads. As always use caution.

smoked turkey
07-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Whiterabbit I have not slugged the bore or did a twist rate check on the barrel as of yet. I know I need to do that in order to do a thorough job on this. I will probably do that. The rifle is my son's and I haven't spent too much time with it yet. I am just trying to do some homework first. This is all good stuff and i am learning and enjoying the discussion on the big boomers. Sounds like you have one in the making. Sounds good! I am anxious to see how you come along too.

MarkP THANKS for that link. I am going to study it out a little and see what it provides. Very interesting.

texassako it sure seems reasonable on your suggestion on the 60% rule. I have read about it but I didn't consider it for this. Thanks.

Nobade thanks for your help. Your PM to me was excellent and reflects that you know what you are doing in this business which is more than I can say for myself. I am definitely on a learning curve and a steep one at that!

Cosmiceyes thanks for the loading info on jacketed bullets. Boy those are BIG charges of powder. I am trying for cast because I don't enjoy the recoil from my 416 Rigby, so I know I can't handle the bigger ones.