PDA

View Full Version : Triple 7 "Crud" Ring

rodwha
07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I've often read of the "crud" ring that T7 leaves in rifles. What does it take to remove this ring in the field, and does it need to be removed after each shot?

I'm not sure if it matter, but my rifle is a sidelock, so I cannot remove the breech plug.

Why does it not leave a ring in my Old Army? Does it being stainless make any difference? Or does it leave a ring, but I've not inspected it well enough to notice?

drhall762
07-14-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't use Triple Seven however, most black powder and substitutes will build up a ring. The real danger of the ring is in not being able to fully seat the projo on top of the charge. Muzzleloaders behave badly when that happens.

Yes it needs to be removed. Usually patching between shots on the range will do until you clean it thoroughly. Hot water and a bore brush will get it if it has become a big issue. Just be aware of it and keep at it.

NSB
07-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't use Triple Seven however, most black powder and substitutes will build up a ring. The real danger of the ring is in not being able to fully seat the projo on top of the charge. Muzzleloaders behave badly when that happens.

Yes it needs to be removed. Usually patching between shots on the range will do until you clean it thoroughly. Hot water and a bore brush will get it if it has become a big issue. Just be aware of it and keep at it.

100% correct answer. Clean between each shot. Better yet, switch to Blackhorn 209 and not get a crud ring to begin with.

mainiac
07-14-2013, 03:01 PM
when i am shooting alot,(i hardely ever wipe between shots),i sometimes get a "crud ring". When i do, i just load 1 load with about 10-15 grs less powder.That allows the patched ball to seat deeper.and it cleans the ring out,,good for many more shots then.........

I shoot real black,so maybe this wont help with the triple 7 stuff.....

bikerbeans
07-14-2013, 03:23 PM
100% correct answer. Clean between each shot. Better yet, switch to Blackhorn 209 and not get a crud ring to begin with.

+1, BH209 is how my friend fixed the T7 problem he had with T/C Omega. I solved the problem by switching to a smokeless MZ.

BB

LUCKYDAWG13
07-14-2013, 03:37 PM
just run a wet patch and then a dry patch between shots.thats why i went back to Pyrodex
but i still clean between shots

rodwha
07-14-2013, 07:45 PM
If I could get Blackhorn to ignite in my percussion revolver I'd consider it, but I'd need to find a way to use something other than percussion caps. I only want to stock/carry one powder (3F) and it has to be energetic enough for my pistol as I intend to replicate, if not best, the 45 Colt (400 ft/lbs +).

I recently bought a pound of Olde Eynsford BP that I'll be trying soon. Maybe I'll switch.

HARRYMPOPE
07-14-2013, 08:46 PM
i got a crud ring with certain lubes with 777(cant remember what ones right now though).I just shot today with it and using TC Bore Butter @ 80g with the 50 cal Lyman Plains bullet.It was fine for 20 shots with no cleaning and only a very slight harder "cake" towards the breech when i cleaned it .I like to try the Black MZ when it hits my local shelves.I have tried to make 777 work in my 50 with patched RB but it keeps burning patches even with light loads.For patched ball black powder seems to be best.

George

George

johnson1942
07-14-2013, 09:42 PM
i stopped useing triple 7 because of the crud ring. if i want to shoot a blackpowder sub. in my side locks i just drop in about 10 grains of black first and then a charge of blackhorn 209 powder on top of it. clean, accurate and goes off. no crud ring. 10 gauge taught me that one and it works good.

rodwha
07-14-2013, 10:08 PM
How does Blackhorn smoke?

I may just do something like that. I could either use a 22 LR or 380 ACP case for a starter charge and give the remainder for my pistol and rifle. Would you opt for 3 or 4F?

Is Blackhorn considered 2 or 3F? Is it supposed to be reduced as they say Triple 7 is (I am uncertain it does need to be reduced for safety though)?

johnson1942
07-14-2013, 11:14 PM
i use a .380 case of black powder. bounce the butt on the ground to settle it in as much as i can. then a charge of blackhorn 209 powder on top. just remember 209 powder is 15 percent stronger than black. so do the math and cut back 15 percent from what you normally shoot. i tried triple 7 as the primer charge under 209 powder and still had the crud ring, just as big as if i had shot triple 7 for the whole charge. it is real clean and really accurate. sorry not much smoke. when im getting low on blackpowder i use this combo to shoot. 10 gauge got me duplexing as he has a lot of positive experience with it in his guns. im finding out their are a lot of 45/70 45/110 and 45/120 shooters useing 209 powder also. no need to duplex their. dont see why it wouldnt work in .45 long colt and cal. like that also. my sons smokeless inline loves it. remember to cut back 15 percent and should be close to what you shot before.

rodwha
07-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I'd prefer not to have too much smoke for hunting.

You got me thinking!

OnHoPr
07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
T7 leaves the largest and dirtiest ring in my encore than any other powder. You just need a really wet patch to remove it. In the field put a few fairly wet patches in a zip lock snack bag and then put in a skoal can for the pocket.

rodwha
07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
I figured I'd carry a small bottle of water, and of alcohol with some patches as I do at the range.

But I know they make scrapers, and wondered if that were necessary. If not that then a bronze brush. I wasn't sure if plain ole water would remove it.

concho
07-19-2013, 06:53 AM
This is for all of you who have crud rings ! the primers/percussion caps? , are too hot . My Encore 50 and 2 traditions 50 were horrible to use , used weaker caps and 209 weaker primers and No Crud Rings . I only use T7 in all my BP guns reducer charge by 15% .