PDA

View Full Version : New 6-cavity mold

Tatume
07-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi Folks,

Recently I purchased a number of Lee 6-cavity molds. Three of them were for gas check bullets, and I sent them off to be lathe-turned to plain base configuration. Until today I have not had time to try any of them. The Ranch Dog 430-265 has now produced a very large pile of very nice bullets. It took longer than I expected to start dropping nice bullets, but I turned up the heat and then was almost immediately rewarded. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement.

I think I will try them initially as cast with Lee Liquid Alox and relatively mild loads.

Take care, Tom

RobS
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
There is something about being self efficient and creating your own.

Vinne
07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I take it they didn't make it the style you wanted. That's why we are not all made the same!!

Cherokee
07-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Way to go, its great to cast what you want.

MtGun44
07-14-2013, 11:22 PM
You may miss those checks some day in a rifle, but maybe not. My curiosity is such that
I would have had to try them first with checks. That coming from the guy that is always
saying there is no need for checks . . . . . IN PISTOLS. I like them in rifles, but many do
not.

Bill

Tatume
07-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Hi Bill,

You're right, and I do have an H&R Handi-rifle in 444 Marlin. I may have to buy another mold for it, but right now I'm casting for several 44 Magnum revolvers and I'm tired of buying gas checks. I'm also tired of sizing, so my first trial will be with bullets as cast, and lubed with LLA.

Take care, Tom

MT Chambers
07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
When you raise the pressure/vel. stakes, you'll prolly want gas checks, also get yourself a Star and you'll never get tired of sizing/lubing!!