PDA

View Full Version : Which has least effect on accuracy-Powder coating or Hi-Tek coating?

hawaii five-0
07-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Is the Hi-Tek method producing the greatest accuracy? I have read many complaints about accuracy in the Powder coat thread. Has this been resolved?

popper
07-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Won't know the answer for another month but I see an improvement with the cheap HF PC over normal lube in all I shoot. Especially PB rifle. Hi-Tek cost is down to reasonable now, so pick your poison and give it a whirl. Some posters here have tried both but as they say, your mileage may vary.

Ausglock
07-15-2013, 05:10 AM
The HI-TEK Coating improves accuracy over conventional lubed lead.

Love Life
07-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I'll be testing the HI-TEK this month in the 8x57. No mouse fart loads either. A case full of Benchmark and a 325365. I'll be testing up to the max charge and I'll be testing bullets with 2 coats, 3 coats, and possibly 4 coats.

Should be fun.

popper
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
I posted some rifle results in the PC thread. IIRC, 40SW gave me a 3" horizontal string @ 25 yds due to Me. Issues appear to be more cost and application technique, quality control.

blikseme300
07-16-2013, 05:35 AM
The HI-TEK Coating improves accuracy over conventional lubed lead.

Where is the proof?

dverna
07-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Where is the proof?

Until more work is done on rifle loads this question will remain unanswered. And then we will wade through accuracy claims for "plinker" loads - medium loads - high velocity loads. How many times do we see comments of "works great" and no information on bullets used, loads (or velocity estimates), range, number of shots in a group, and number of groups shot. It takes a lot of work to do it right and it is easy to take one good group and say "This is it." Especially if someone is justifying their pet project.

If the guys who shoot Benchrest CBA start using one of the bullet coating methods, then things change. Competitive shooters will use any improvement possible to gain an edge - even if it only a slight edge. I have to believe some of these guys are on this site and we will hear from them eventually.

Ausglock
07-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Where is the proof?

Well. Over 20 years of hangun shooting in Australia.
There have been a few world champions over the years that have used Coated lead bullets.
The current Australian champions and the IPSC world lady's champion All use coated bullets.
As for rifles, No idea. Not my interest. Sorry.

The Australian equivalent of Bullseye shooting all use coated lead.
I have done my own testing (See other thread) and I am pleased with the results. I am organising to get hold of a Ransom rest for more testing.

At the end of the day, If you don't want to use it, Don't. But for the minimal cost involved, Why not try it. You may well be surprised.

blikseme300
07-16-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm interested in any new technology that advances our hobby/sport/passion. A blunt statement such as the one I challenged cannot just be taken as gospel. I was not aware of polymer coating until recently but am interested in real world results. I don't cast and reload for savings. I do so for the same reason some folks climb mountains, because I enjoy it and it can be done. More research and experimentation to follow.

gunoil
07-16-2013, 10:47 PM
As a amauture 2 & 1/2 years or so messing around. I sure dont miss all that nasty choking smoke from alox.

blikesime300, u ever heard of jerry miculek?

I think ausglock said the oz goverment took all their rifles.

Pretty sure u can shoot 2700 w/gas check in your ar-15. 3 coats of HTS.

jmort
07-17-2013, 12:31 AM
I have checked-out both methods. The lacquer thinner and Powder By The Pound "Piglet" method is the simplest. Both require the same equipment so if you don't like one you can try the other and use the same equipment. The Hi-Tek seller/distributors seem to be hyper-sensitive and that concerns me. The powder coat threads are low-key and not up-tight. Regardless, I'll try both and go with what works best. At this point, there is no clear "winner" from what I have seen. Also going to try the "paint" method.

leadman
07-17-2013, 12:52 AM
I have used both the PC and now the HT. I know the HT is a more durable coating the the PC and not damaged as easily. As far as rifle accuracy at higher velocities I am still working on that. I have shot the 311041 in my 30-06 Savage 110DL to 2,550 fps but accuracy was around 3 to 4 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards. This rifle has shot groups of less than 1" with the 314299 lubed with LBT Blue Soft at almost 2,600 fps.
The 311041 is my normal plinking boolit for this rifle and I thought it would do better than it did at high velocity. Tomorrow I am loading some of the 314299 and hope to take them to the range on Thursday. Some Lyman 44gr RN 22 cal boolits will also be loaded in my Contender, either the 22K Hornet or the 223 Rem.
I have shot my Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag with the Saeco 220gr TC coated with the Hi-Tek at 25 yards, 5 shots just over 1 inch. I used to shoot that size group at 50 yards with the Saeco boolit lubed with Carnuba Red but this load equaled the Hi-Tek when I shot them side by side. My hands has extremely painful arthritis now so it is hard for me to control a revolver.
I plan on loading my 30-30AI Contender with boolits to see what I can do with it. Has a very effective muzzle brake on it.
I can say for sure that accuracy is maintained longer with the Hi-Tek coating at medium velocities in rifles and full velocities in handguns versus a wax based lube.
A few weeks ago I fired over 100 rounds thru the Savage 30-06 with no cleaning with HT coated boolits and the accuracy never deteriorated.

Ausglock
07-17-2013, 04:03 AM
We had all semi-auto rifles and shotguns as well as Pump shotguns taken away.
We are left with Bolt action, lever and pump rifles and break action shotguns only.

Hi-tek may be "Hyper-sensitive" about his coating due to the fact that it is a proprietry product that only he produces. Many would love to copy it. That is why it is closely guarded.

As to the use, it is probably the best lead coating system available. There have been a few attempts to produce a bullet coating by other bullet manufacturers here in OZ, but none of them actually work as well as the HI-TEK Supercoat. There are even bullet makers here that are moving back to using the HI-TEK coating after they have tried imitation coating and found they did not work anywhere near as good.

Rifles are a different kettle of fish. The work Leadman is doing is excellent and his results are good reading.
Thanks.

bmiller
07-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Ausglock, are hi-cap pistols permitted in Oz?

Ausglock
07-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Ausglock, are hi-cap pistols permitted in Oz?

No. we are limited to 10 round mags
Barrel length is 122mm minimum (this is why we have Glock17A. the G17 barrel is 6mm too short).
calibres up to 38.
40, 41,44,45 are only available on a special Hi calibre permit for Cowboy shooting and metallic sillywets only

Full Mold Jack
07-17-2013, 08:18 AM
We had all semi-auto rifles and shotguns as well as Pump shotguns taken away.

I got a category C license and kept my pump shotgun. So they're not entirely gone from the face of the continent.

popper
07-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Bout a yr ago I did a 1" 5 shot group @ 25 yds, 40SW, 5.5gr. HP-38, 165gr 50/50 #2/pure Recluse lube. ~ 1 mo ago I used the same load & boolit (~1% Sb/pure, ES applied HF PC) same gun, range, etc. POA was 6 o'clock on the green 10 ring, best I can see, same XDm. Both are resting trigger guard on a padded 4x4. 5 shot string was 4 horizontal & 1 flyer. That was after ~200 rnds @ 7 yds. As far as I am concerned, the HF does as well as jacketed for me, in 40, 30-30, 308 AR, same weight & close to same load. A better shooter could prove me wrong. I coated a bunch of 40 with the H-T, was going to load them today but the puppy got sick last nite so I'll be at the vets today. Did a drop comparison test with the coatings last nite, 2 green coats H-T & ES applied HF, same CB, same alloy. HF wins by a little, from ~3'.

jmort
07-17-2013, 10:39 AM
We are still learning.

dverna
07-17-2013, 01:36 PM
I have used both the PC and now the HT. I know the HT is a more durable coating the the PC and not damaged as easily. As far as rifle accuracy at higher velocities I am still working on that. I have shot the 311041 in my 30-06 Savage 110DL to 2,550 fps but accuracy was around 3 to 4 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards. This rifle has shot groups of less than 1" with the 314299 lubed with LBT Blue Soft at almost 2,600 fps.
The 311041 is my normal plinking boolit for this rifle and I thought it would do better than it did at high velocity. Tomorrow I am loading some of the 314299 and hope to take them to the range on Thursday. Some Lyman 44gr RN 22 cal boolits will also be loaded in my Contender, either the 22K Hornet or the 223 Rem.
I have shot my Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag with the Saeco 220gr TC coated with the Hi-Tek at 25 yards, 5 shots just over 1 inch. I used to shoot that size group at 50 yards with the Saeco boolit lubed with Carnuba Red but this load equaled the Hi-Tek when I shot them side by side. My hands has extremely painful arthritis now so it is hard for me to control a revolver.
I plan on loading my 30-30AI Contender with boolits to see what I can do with it. Has a very effective muzzle brake on it.
I can say for sure that accuracy is maintained longer with the Hi-Tek coating at medium velocities in rifles and full velocities in handguns versus a wax based lube.
A few weeks ago I fired over 100 rounds thru the Savage 30-06 with no cleaning with HT coated boolits and the accuracy never deteriorated.

Leadman,

At this point, my only interest with coated bullets is if they allow better performance in rifles - so your work is of great interest. By performance I mean that they will shoot more accurately and at a higher velocity than we can achieve with current lubes. Another advantage would be if (and I believe this will be the case) they are not sensitive to ambient temperature and hold group size after many rounds downrange.

Thank you for posting your results. 4-5 inch groups is not a promising start but i understand it is just a start. Yet, I have no need to turn my .308 sniper rifle into an bolt action SKS. LOL

dverna
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
popper

Hoping the puppy is doing better. Only thing worse than a sick puppy is a sick wife. At least the puppy won't chew your butt.

popper
07-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Second episode, this vet says a bacterial intestine problem. She chew about everything but my rear. HAd a problem with the PC 40 last week, pulled the CB and found the nose was .410, base band was OK, but front drive band coating was pushed into the nose. These were PC, WD & sized .401, same batch as H-T coated. Weird. Actually pulled them with the sizing die, no stem. Primed case gets sized, CB stocks in the die so I push it out. Guess something happened in seating but I loaded right after loading the H-T ones.