PDA

View Full Version : Handles for Lyman 4-cavity mold?

Tatume
07-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Hello Folks,

Recently I acquired a used Lyman 4-cavity 429421 mold. The screws that hold the handles are headless pins, threaded at one end and slotted at the other, 0.2175" diameter. What handles do I need?

Thanks, Tom

Mk42gunner
07-14-2013, 01:41 PM
The traditional Lyman four cavity handles are the ones that look like a nutcracker, they are strange to operate compared to the pliers type that just about everybody else uses.

Several years ago Lyman started selling plier type four cavity handles, which is what I would get, I have one set of nutcrackers and it is enough.

There is a sticky thread in the mold section regarding handles, complete with pictures.

Robert

Tatume
07-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks Robert.

Now that I know what to look for I went to the Lyman site and was surprised to find they cost $44 + SH. The first thing I thought of was to modify a set of Lee handles. Drilling the hole out would be easy, but I would need to file or mill almost 1/16" off the flats, and that makes it not worthwhile. So, I guess I'll buy a set.

Take care, Tom

Cadillo
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Spring for a pair of KAL handles, and you will be MUCH happier over the long run. The difference in quality is beyond explanation.

Tatume
07-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi Cadillo,

Where may I find such a beast?

Found him, thanks.

Thanks, Tom