PDA

View Full Version : 5010 in 45/70

Misfire99
10-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi All
I have been reading the posts that come up on a search for data on 5010. It seems that a duplex load is best for the 45/70 using 5010. What do you all think about 3 grains of AA7 then fill the case to the bottom of the bullet? This will be a 500 grain cast bullet. Do you all think this is fairly safe or will my descendants read about my demise in the paper? Also this will be fired out of an H&R Handi-Rifle.
TIA

Bullshop
10-06-2007, 11:51 AM
It is my feeling (but dont take my word for it) that 3 gn will be a safe place to start, but I think you wont get the desired effect until you get near 6 gn.
Slightly slower burn rate, and flake or stick powder rather than ball powder is the direction I would go in. If the AA#7 is all that is available it can be made to work. I prefer something in burn rate between say 2400 and Reloader #7. My preferance is for one of the 4227's.
BIC/BS

Misfire99
10-06-2007, 08:44 PM
It is my feeling (but dont take my word for it) that 3 gn will be a safe place to start, but I think you wont get the desired effect until you get near 6 gn.
Slightly slower burn rate, and flake or stick powder rather than ball powder is the direction I would go in. If the AA#7 is all that is available it can be made to work. I prefer something in burn rate between say 2400 and Reloader #7. My preferance is for one of the 4227's.
BIC/BS

Hi Dan
Checked out your site you are a lucky man. My wife and I home school also. I think for a family it is by far the best thing to do.

As for my 45/70 with 5010 I checked my stock of powder and I have about half a can of 4227. About how much of this do you think I should use to fire off a case of 5010? The reason I was going to use AA7 was it was in one of the posts I read and I have about four pounds of it. I used to shoot a 38 super in IPSC but I can't anymore so I wanted to use up my AA7.

Bullshop
10-06-2007, 09:47 PM
As I said the AA #7 will work. What I do is start with a safe starting load then trade volume for volume until the barrel shoots clean. Usualy I make a small dipper that will hold say 1 to 2 gn. Then if I want to increase the priming charge use an additional dipper of the priming powder while at the same time reducing the main charge by the same volume. This way the total volume stays the same so the comprseeion stays the same.
My guess is that with the 4227 you will get the desired effect at about 7gn, this is assuming you are shooting heavy for caliber boolits. Light for caliber boolits may require a bit more priming powder.
BIC/BS

Misfire99
10-07-2007, 06:33 AM
As I said the AA #7 will work. What I do is start with a safe starting load then trade volume for volume until the barrel shoots clean. Usualy I make a small dipper that will hold say 1 to 2 gn. Then if I want to increase the priming charge use an additional dipper of the priming powder while at the same time reducing the main charge by the same volume. This way the total volume stays the same so the comprseeion stays the same.
My guess is that with the 4227 you will get the desired effect at about 7gn, this is assuming you are shooting heavy for caliber boolits. Light for caliber boolits may require a bit more priming powder.
BIC/BS

Thanks I will do that. I think I will start with 5 grains of 4227 and work up from there. I will let you know how it turns out. It will be a few weeks though. I have the handi rifle on order it won't be here for few more weeks. I have a sharps falling block copy but I only shoot Black powder cartridge it. Thanks again and peace be with you and your family.

Freightman
10-07-2007, 03:13 PM
THe 5010 is fine and I have used it with the 45/70 I use 4198 or 2400 for a primer load .5cc LEE dipper, you will find that that and a 500g boolit and slightley compressed and crimped will be almost exactly the same FPS as Black Powder. Since IMR5010, WC872, and WC860 are essentiaully the same and much cheaper than Black Powder I use it in my 45/70's a Buffalo Classic, a Shilouh Sharps and a Remington rolling block and save the BP for my muzzel loaders.

Misfire99
10-09-2007, 12:07 AM
THe 5010 is fine and I have used it with the 45/70 I use 4198 or 2400 for a primer load .5cc LEE dipper, you will find that that and a 500g boolit and slightley compressed and crimped will be almost exactly the same FPS as Black Powder. Since IMR5010, WC872, and WC860 are essentiaully the same and much cheaper than Black Powder I use it in my 45/70's a Buffalo Classic, a Shilouh Sharps and a Remington rolling block and save the BP for my muzzel loaders.

Thanks Freightman