PDA

View Full Version : I need wad information.

littlejack
07-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Slug shooters:
I am still in the process of working on my heavy 740 grain slug load in my 870.
I really need to know which 1 1/4 .oz wads (of all the different wad out there) have petals that are NOT tapered in thickness from top to bottom. I am going to make my sizer die, to size the slug to fit the inside dimension of the wad. From what I have read in my manual and on-line, the 1 1/4 .oz wad is the one to use with the 1 5/8 .oz to 1 3/4 .oz load equivalent.
I have acquired 100 1x Remington Nitro 3" hulls. I now need the wads to use in these hulls, with these behemoth slugs. The I.D. of the case inside the "High Brass" is .735, so the base of the wad (powder seal) would have to be that dimension, or very close to it, to prevent powder bleed-by.
I know that there are a lot of you fellas that have many different wads for your testing and research. You also
have a lot more reloading manuals than I. Would any of you be so kind as to mic some of your wad petals from your 1 1/4 .oz wads (for straight hulls) and let me know.
Regards
Jack

SuperBlazingSabots
07-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Good morning LittleJack, the only perfect wad is Fed 12 C-1, ( they tend to be under size and will cause the powder to seep through ) they have been out of production for a while but you can still find them.
The Trap Commender is good too but it depends on your barrel ID.
( They will fit the hull ID well enough not to let powder seep through )
They can be a tight fit in some smooth bore, if your gun has a rifled barrel then nothing to worry and will be a great fit!!

1. Need to see the picture of the slug.
2. Is your gun a smoothbore or rifled.

I can help you out better with that information.

I'm proud to be a Elite Musketeer, among other Elite Musketeer's here, even tho just a few but very special breed.
" One for all & All for one "
Welcome aboard ! ! !

Best regards,
Ajay
www.BlazingSabots.com
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/ ... wforum.php
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ot!/page1
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/

littlejack
07-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Ajay, thank you for your reply.
My barrel is the Hastings rifled, with a slugged ID of .727 groove dimension.
The slug can be seen on the Lyman bullet mold list. As stated, it is the .69 caliber musket round. It has the hollow base.
I didn't realize that all/most of the wads were that loose in the hull, and let the powder bleed past.
I use the WAA12 white wad in the Reminton Club hull, and STS, both tapered for my Lyman 525 grain Sabot loads, and they fit the tapered hull perfect.
That doesn't even make sense that the reloader cannot even buy a reloading component (wad) to fit a straight non tapered hull properly.
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards
Jack

longbow
07-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Can't help with the taper issue but I suspect most if not all wads have a taper to the petals. Certainly all the wads I have do anyway and I know others have said the same thing.

Ajay pointed out that some wads are undersize and I have found that too ~ probably to allow them to fit into tapered hulls. With shot loads, precise fit is not too important and what we are using is "stuff" for shot loads as slug "sabots".

Since you are making a sizer, and it seems to me you are using a minie ball for a slug, you might think about making a tapered sizing die to squish the base more than the nose. Should be pretty easy with the hollow base. That would require a push in then eject type die though, not a push through. Just a thought.

Also, something that may help is that I have found that some wads blow gas seal quite badly with either heavy powder charges or with heavy slugs. Not sure why with heavy powder charges as I am not exceeding loading manual charges but with the heavy slugs, I suspect it may be that the cushion leg collapses too quickly and the gas seal takes a beating... maybe from quick pressure spike or something.

In any case, check recovered wads for gas seal damage and use tough wads with thick lips on gas seals.

Longbow

hubel458
07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
With 69cal slugs swaged down to .675" I put them in BPI
Helix Cushion Driver 18 wadcup. They still have them
and they are straight down inside for slug fit.Ed

littlejack
07-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Many thanks to all of you who posted help and insight. Very much appreciated.
Ed, the BPI Helix Cushion Driver 18, looks very good. One other question; Will these work in my 3"
magnum length hulls?
I am planning on using Blue Dot powder, so will the wad length be right with the 18, or would I need to
use either the 21, or the 24 in the 3" magnum hulls? Not tryin to be picky, just want to get it right the
first time.
Thank you very much for your experienced help sir.
Best regards to all.
Jack

OnHoPr
07-15-2013, 12:10 AM
I just cut the pedals off of a Fed 12s4 (brown) and claybuster fed 12s3 copy cb-2118-12 (hot pink) here are the results.

12s4 a. .020 both ends both sides
b. .020 on one side and .030 on the other side, both ends
c. .031 on one end and .032 on one side and .030 on the other side of the opposite end
b. .028 on one side of the pedal both ends and .023 on the other side both ends

cb2118 a. .020 on one end both sides and .024 on both sides the other end
b. .020 on one end both sides and .023 on both sides the other end
c. .020 on one side, .021 on the other side of one end and .023 on one side, .026 on the other side of the other end
d. .024 on both sides of one end and .020 on both sides on the other end
All the other wads I have got ridges or definite tapers except for some of BPI wads but some of them have cupped cups. BPI has pedal thickness data on their wads. The CDS wads have a flat bottom. Winchester doesn't make the waar12 anymore.

The wads measured above have basically no taper to them.

littlejack
07-15-2013, 12:26 AM
OnHoPr:
Thank you for all that information. If the wads that Ed do not work, I may have to try the ones you
mentioned.
Jack