PDA

View Full Version : Relube cast boolits?

armednfree
07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
I have this bunch of .358 semi wadcutters. They have a single lube groove and it has a hard blue lube in it. They do lead. I have been using the 45-45-10 lube and have had zero leading from it. So, what happens if I give these a tumble in that lube. Will the blue lube melt off off what?

Mk42gunner
07-14-2013, 12:24 AM
If the tumble lube works for you, it should be fine to go over the crayon lube that is on the bullets.

I shot a lot of commercial cast with the hard lubes (red, green, or blue) and the only difference I saw was the pretty color. I recovered quite a few bullets over the years, they usually still had all of the lube in the grooves. It happened so much that I thought the lube was supposed to stay with the bullet.

Once I started casting my own and lubing with FWFL, I was very surprised that recovered boolits didn't have any lube remaining in the grooves, but I didn't have any leading either.

This is a long winded way of saying tumble lube and shoot them.

Robert

Foto Joe
07-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Tumble lubing with 45-45-10 in addition to the crayon lube won't do a thing to the crayon lube. If you want to get rid of it you could stand them up on a cookie sheet and stuff 'em into the oven at a couple hundred degrees and melt it off. You might not want to use the same cookie sheet that your wife uses to make you cookies on though. Personally I'd just leave the crayon lube on and tumble 'em with the 45-45-10. I've got a sneaky suspicion though that the lube isn't the cause of the leading but try the tumble lube and see what happens.

armednfree
07-14-2013, 04:24 PM
I figure on a single coat of 45-45-10 and call it good. I think they use that hard lube because it's easier then dealing with a soft lube. Less messy. Not that is the best for the intended purpose. So I should not expect it to dissolve then, is that correct?

shadowcaster
07-14-2013, 05:02 PM
They use hard lube because it packs and ships well. The hard lube should stay put after tumbling. 45-45-10- works on the bearing surface of the boolits and shouldn't hurt a thing. I say.. tumble'em, load'em and shoot'em! :)

Shad

armednfree
07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Will do then

Foto Joe
07-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I started using Moly-Lubed store bought boolits a number of years ago and loved 'em. They apparently ship pretty good and I'm betting that the tumble lube process that they used was pretty simple in and of itself simply because the boolits were CHEAP compared to LaserCast etc. I wouldn't sweat the mineral spirits in 45-45-10 disolving the crayon lube but maybe you might test a couple by dropping them in a shot glass that you don't use and putting some 45-45-10 in to see what happens. Remember, a shot glass that you DON'T use!!

williamwaco
07-14-2013, 08:09 PM
I have tumbled at least 2,000 of those hard cast blue lube bullets in LLA.

Without removing the blue lube!

It converted 2,000 useless blobs of lead into useable, accurate bullets that did not lead my 9mm barrel.

See:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/lla_bullet_lube_2.htm

for more details.