PDA

View Full Version : Would this be advisable?

madcaster
10-05-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a New England 12 guage,you know the cheap single shots...
Would itbe safe to put a heavy barrel in .45/70 on this action.
i was thinking a Douglas and chamber it to .45/70
Opinions please?:coffee:

MGySgt
10-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Why not? You can send it back and have a 45/70 barrel fitted to it.

Marlin now owns NEF/H&R.

Drew

Johnch
10-05-2007, 10:03 PM
New England will fit a shotgun barrel to a rifle action

But WILL NOT fit a rifle barrel to a shotgun action

I have both
Only thing I can find different between the 2 is
A rifle action has a smaller di. firing pin And the shotgun firing pin protrudes slightly farther

Not sure witch is the problem . or if there is any real problem

But they will only do it their way

John

Safeshot
10-05-2007, 10:17 PM
You might be money and time ahead to just buy a 45/70 NEF rifle and not have to worry about all the cost, time and effort in rebarreling the shotgun to a rifle. I think you would have to "install" a firing pin bushing and a smaller firing pin in the shotgun receiver if you did rebarrel it to 45/70 caliber. Or you could get a .50 S&W caliber NEF Rifle just to have something "different". You might even try "Benneke" slugs in your 12 Ga. shotgun, some of them are quite accurate with these slugs.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

10-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Go for a new NEF .45/70 and never look back. One of the greatest deals out there. Keep the shotgun as is and enjoy both. Ain't it great that everybody has an opinion and that we are so willing to spend your money! -----All in good fun, buddy.

obssd1958
10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I bought a 20 ga H&R for $80 for my kids to use and later thought "Wow, if I bought barrels for this, I would have the equivalent of an Encore for REAL CHEAP!!
Wrong...
NEF - H&R made basically 2 different frames, the SB1 and SB2. The SB1 is a cast frame for low pressure that they use on the shotguns. The SB2 is a higher quality steel frame that they use for their centerfire cartridge offerings. Remember, in a single shot, the frame becomes part of the "chamber" when you close it up.
My fix for this issue was to look for a handi-rifle at the gun shows. Found one in 30-06 for $150 with a cheap 3x9 scope already on it. Shoots okay, but is going to get some load work done on it later. Right now the frame is at H&R 1871 getting 2 new barrels factory fitted to it. A 22" .223and a 32" 45/70. Total cost for the 2 new barrels with shipping (both ways) and fitting included = under $250.
There is a lot more information on the differences of the 2 frames and swapping barrels and such over on the Greybeard outdoors forum for NEF/H&R talk. It's about halfway down the page at this site:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums//index.php

Take care!

Don