PDA

View Full Version : Did I do Right

smokemjoe
07-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Yesterday I put down my 5 lb. poodle , was 15 years old, lost hearing, both eyes gone and had to clean one out all the time, She died in my arms at the vet. Today we went out to the monks and got a nice wooden box for her ashes and for ourselves also. Did I do right putting her down, Just cant stop crying. Thanks for reading, Joe

nicholst55
07-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Having to put a much loved pet down is never easy. It sounds like you did the right thing to me, though. Once their eyesight goes, it's time - especially if the dog was already deaf. Still, it's heart-wrenching. Just concentrate on the fact that the dog is no longer in discomfort or 'lost', wondering why he can't hear or see any more.

smokeywolf
07-13-2013, 08:32 PM
You did it right Joe. To keep her around would have been selfish. It is the final act of love and the fact that you can't hold the tears back is proof that she could not have been loved more. She was so very lucky to have had you. You won't forget her, but the pain will become tolerable.

Getting choked up right now thinking about Sammy. My white Malamute/Arctic Wolf that I had to say goodbye to 6-1/2 years ago.

You did it right.

smokeywolf

Alvarez Kelly
07-13-2013, 09:08 PM
You did the right thing, which was also the harder, non-selfish thing. I've had to do it too. I'm sorry for your loss. There really are no words right now.

Be comforted that you made the merciful choice.

shredder
07-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Been exactly where you were when you wrote that. I cried like a baby... My english cocker was 16, mostly blind, deaf ,lame and pooping blood. It was still the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Ithaca Gunner
07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
You did it right by being there holding her to say good-bye. Dogs do tear our hearts when they have to leave. I've been there too many times myself, and know I'll be there again. I hate to think of it, but I just can't be without dogs.

JeffinNZ
07-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Of course you did Joe. We did the same with Griffin the cat about 4 months ago. It is never easy but it's the price of unconditional love. Take care of yourself.

Frank46
07-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Joe, this isn't easy for me to post, but some years ago we had to do the same with our cairn terrier Holly. Called our two daughters in New Orleans to come home and say goodbye. I had to leave as I couldn't watch. Told her I loved her and left. You did the right thing. Frank

Blacksmith
07-13-2013, 10:47 PM
You did what had to be done. It's tough to do.
This will help you cry.

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge...together...

Author unknown...

John Allen
07-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Joe, this is always tough. I know how you feel at what point do you decide the quality of life versus the suffering of the family member whether it is an animal or person. Once you have some time I am sure you will realize it was the right thing.

Good Luck John

fouronesix
07-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Sorry to hear that. Yes Joe, you did the right thing. Time will help... although never completely. We just outlive them and not a thing can change it. Lost my last one 11 years ago. I still look at their pictures and feel sad yet try to remember all the good. Nothing can take those memories.

bearcove
07-13-2013, 11:16 PM
You did good Joe. Isn't easy to do but remember the good times.

**oneshot**
07-14-2013, 07:32 AM
You did right! Sorry for your loss.

Dave C.
07-14-2013, 10:52 AM
The day you bring that furry friend home you know that the day is coming that you will
do the "right" thing. The hard thing.

Dave C.

rush1886
07-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Yesterday I put down my 5 lb. poodle , was 15 years old, lost hearing, both eyes gone and had to clean one out all the time, She died in my arms at the vet. Today we went out to the monks and got a nice wooden box for her ashes and for ourselves also. Did I do right putting her down, Just cant stop crying. Thanks for reading, Joe

Unequivocaly, yes. My condolences, Sir.

Dean D.
07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
You did right Joe. It's never easy. I still have a tough time when I think of the last one we had to put down.

blackthorn
07-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Others have said it all! You did right! Sorry for your loss.

WILCO
07-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Did I do right putting her down, Just cant stop crying. Thanks for reading, Joe

Joe, real men do the hard things in life. It's a man's job to take the lead, provide safety, security and comfort for all of the loved ones in our lives. The fact that you put your dog down when she needed it, speaks volumes of your character and strength. With all of the challenges you've taken on, this last one is just another day on the job.

Rest well friend with a clear heart.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-14-2013, 03:15 PM
you did the right thing sorry for your loss

ACrowe25
07-14-2013, 03:38 PM
For the 100th person to say--- you did it right. I know how you feel. Lost my dog who I grew up with not too long ago. Worst feeling in the world. Hope I never have to face it again. But it's the cycle of life and your friend is now in a better place--- remember that. You'll get through this.

Echo
07-16-2013, 10:38 AM
You did it right Joe. To keep her around would have been selfish. It is the final act of love and the fact that you can't hold the tears back is proof that she could not have been loved more. She was so very lucky to have had you. You won't forget her, but the pain will become tolerable.

smokeywolf

Plus One - It hurts, but sometime life hurts. But life goes on...

searcher4851
07-16-2013, 02:56 PM
You did what had to be done, because it was the right thing to do. I had the same difficult decision to make the end of February. My 16 year old dog was put to sleep in my arms at the vet. She had a look of gratitude and relief on her face as she went to sleep. She was a great friend and is sorely missed, but I don't regret sending her on. It was my duty as her friend, and the only thing left that I could do for her.

nagantguy
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Travis did the right thing when he put down ol' yeller and I pray that some who loved me would do so unto me when I can no Lo.her enjoy any quality of life. What's your heart tell you? If it was to be humane and say good buy then you done right boy, you done right.

gbrown
07-16-2013, 03:57 PM
IMHO you did the right thing, but surely not the easy thing. Been right there with you about 15 years ago. That dog depended on you and it was your duty to take care of it so it did not have to suffer. I've had friends who couldn't/wouldn't do it and I watched animals suffer. I don't want to ever be in that position again, but it could happen again. I'll take care of my animal friends.

BLTsandwedge
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Hiya Joe,

Two weeks ago today we let our old guy go. We'd just moved from CA to Pennsylvania and in our new house for about two weeks. He'd been having issues before we moved- i.e. he'd gone deaf and his hips were failing. By the time we'd gotten here, the dog couldn't control his bowels, couldn't walk much anymore and was in advanced dementia. I've never seen dementia in a dog before- he'd do things like try to go outside through the fireplace, sit for long periods staring at an electrical outlet and fail to recognize who my wife and I were. The hardest on us was that there were days where he was perfectly lucid and only suffering from the obvious physical problems (no bowel control, not being able to walk etc). On those days we felt we may have been able to hang onto him for a while longer- but then the next day would be a bad one i.e. he would loose his way around the house and get stuck in a corner without the wherewithal to back himself out. He finaly stopped eating. We realized at that time we'd lost our dog already; that we were keeping his body alive for us only.

We've put a few dogs down in our time but this one was the hardest- a comparatively long and very confusing, heartbreaking goodbye. Artie was 16 years old- we'd had him since he was 8 weeks. We know what you are feeling Joe, both your girl and our old guy are now part of yesterday....and our future.

Tom

DeanWinchester
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
It sucks but you have to. When the time comes, I will NOT let my friend suffer. Its selfish and cruel.

I'm sorry you had to do this and I'm sorry for your loss, but if you really loved your friend, you did right.

DRNurse1
07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Doing the right thing for another is hardest for those left behind. Peace, brother.

scarry scarney
07-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Jo

I put my BEAU down just over a month ago. I keep wondering the same thing myself. But I comfort myself that he is no longer suffering any pain. Yes I miss him dearly, and I still look for him when I get home. But it was the greatest act of kindness that I could do for him, as you did for yours. You did right.

1953greg
07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Joe
yes you did the best thing. time will heal

and
how did you come out with that deal w/ your lungs sometime back couple yrs ago? what was it? respectfully greg

retread
07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I have never been without a dog. The last one was 16, blind and not getting around well. Kept falling and hurting himself. Our Vet came to the house and put him down as I held him in my arms. What a hole I felt inside. For the first time I did not think I could do it again. I went two years without the most loyal of friends. Just grieving I think.
As time went by I felt the need for that companionship again and got an Australian Shepherd. Unless he outlives me I guess I will have to go through that heartache again but
the time together will be greater than the loss. You did well Joe and showed him your love to the very end.

DxieLandMan
07-26-2013, 03:34 PM
we had to put one of ours down 2 months ago. She was 18, could hardly walk and had a big cyst on her neck. Very hard on my wife because that was her mother's dog and her mother passed 2 years earlier.

km101
07-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Joe, you have to consider the quality of life that your friend had. Was he enjoying life or just there?
I think you did the right thing in this case. I would have done the same.

We all know that there is an end coming whether it is a loved pet or a close relative, or ourselves. We have to make the decision and remember the good times. And hope that when our time comes, someone does the right thing for us.

Goatwhiskers
07-27-2013, 05:06 PM
As Retread said, the time together greatly exceeds the loss. We've had to put several down over the years and it always leaves a hole that's hard to fill. Altho we have two others, our old male Corgi is almost 13 and has various ailments, eyes, ears, and kidneys getting worse. I figure he'll let us know when it's time. I even grieved when we had to put my daughter's horse down. He was 32 yrs old, bombproof, she learned to ride and barrel race on him. We had retired him years ago and he got so crippled up he couldn't move enough to graze. It hurts, but you know in your heart that they're better off. Wish you the best. GW

William Yanda
07-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Reading this thread leaves me with tears in my eyes. I can feel your pain, I've been there too, with Trigger and Benji and others who had mishaps with traffic like Freckles and Moppet. Somehow its harder when we make the decision. Last time the Vet told us we had provided for our canine friend all his life and now we were providing an end with no lingering, no suffering. Remember the good times and know there are still dogs at the shelter who would return your love.
Bill

Taylor
07-27-2013, 09:04 PM
I bought the wife a Cocker Spaniel for her birthday one time.Buffy was 4 weeks old.As she aged,we noticed she had lost her eye sight,bowels didn't work well anymore.She didn't hear too well either,and we think she may have had a stroke or two.But her nose worked,could smell a crumb a mile away.Then one day when Karen came home from work Buffy ran under the jeep,broke her pelvis.The vet said she would never heal.Brother I know the feeling,sometimes you got to do what you have too.I didn't like making that decision,the vet assured me it was the best thing to do.We have her in a wooden urn next to Sadie.I do understand.