PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Micro Loads

Old Ironsights
10-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I have found that a 1gr load of Titegroup will push a 152gr pure lead 358-156HP to a few hundred FPS out of my rifle... plenty fast and more importantly QUIET enough for squirrel & other small critter.

Problem is getting a consistant load. Titegroup isn't position sensitive, but i've resorted to trickling into a Lee Ballance scale because I can't keep my Lyman 1000XP zeroed to within .1gr. :(

Is the Ballance Beam my best option?

(I had been using 5gr 777 + Farina fill, but that is more annoying. More Powder & a whole extra step.)

gray wolf
10-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I would say that the beam scale is your only option. Sounds like your on the right track with the trickle.

Old Ironsights
10-05-2007, 09:30 PM
1gr sounds like a .177 pellet gun and runs about 400-500fps.

2gr sounds like a 22 subsonic (get away with it once) and hits around 800 (best guess)

3gr is annoying to the neighbors and hits about 12000fps

It's amazing the noise difference a few tenths of a grain will make.

My previous load of a 180 Keith over 5gr 777+farina hit 500 and sounded between a pellet gun and a sub-sonic .22.

I'd rather use the HP because I think it will work a little better on the critters than the 180gr ice-pick.

Charlie Horse
10-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I sometimes shoot .6 grains of Bullseye and a dewc out of my 38 snub. Made a powder measure out of a WW primer package tray. I dip the measure then strike it level with my finger. I'm quite certain that I'm getting consistent powder measurements using this method. This load shoots at slingshot velocity with just a "pop".
You can make powder measures out of many things. Just be creative.

PPpastordon
10-06-2007, 08:06 AM
O. I.;
I find these loads interesting and years ago experimented with them quite a bit. One of the biggest improvements I found was to reduce my case capacity through deep seating of the boolits. In my experience, this will allow the lightest of powder requirements for the same velocity and (frequently) improved consistency. The .357 (which is probably what you are using) is a great caliber for this when hunting is the desired final result. However, I am not sure how well such loads will function in any of the repeating firearms. I used a Contender and a Rolling Block pistol with great success. I also used my .357 Max Contender carbine for my long-gun. It could be made amazingly quiet. Also, I found using an old Lyman pistol powder measure with a home made cylinder for the extremely small Bullseye load made loading these rounds much easier.
PPpastordon

Bret4207
10-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Try making a scoop and strike the excess off with a card or something. Weigh out a few charges and see how close they are.

cattleskinner
10-06-2007, 10:14 AM
3gr is annoying to the neighbors and hits about 12000fps

Dang OI, what kind of powder does that? I need to pick up a pound or so.:kidding::mrgreen:

~Amos

Johnch
10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I use a 22 short or 25 ACP case with a handle soldered to it

I then file it to hold the desired powder charge

I have 7 or 8 labled as to what they are used for

Easy and cheap

John

Old Ironsights
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Dang OI, what kind of powder does that? I need to pick up a pound or so.:kidding::mrgreen:

~Amos

It's a little somthing I got from an itenerant Iranian powder saleman.

Best I can figure is it's U238 encapsulated in double-base fullerines coated in Black Powder and dipped in Fulminate of Murcury.

Kinda corrosive.... [smilie=1::mrgreen:

.22 case.... I've got plenty of those. Thanks for the idea.

Leftoverdj
10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't go quite as low as one grain, nor do I use Titegroup, but the Lee Micro kit does quite well with ball powder charges under two grains. I converted an AutoDisk measure to manual operation by discarding the spring and silver soldering on an operating lever for this use. I'm not quite sure how accurate it is, just that it is better than my scales's tenth grain sensitivity.

randyrat
10-06-2007, 08:33 PM
What about a 180gr cast micro out of a 30-30. I've never tried to make a micro load with a 30-30. Where do i start? i also have neighbors and wild animals rooming through once in while. Would be nice to have a yote load for towny's. (No i won't be shooting the neighbors)

Leftoverdj
10-07-2007, 01:04 AM
What about a 180gr cast micro out of a 30-30. I've never tried to make a micro load with a 30-30. Where do i start? i also have neighbors and wild animals rooming through once in while. Would be nice to have a yote load for towny's. (No i won't be shooting the neighbors)

With micros, you work down instead of up. Three grains of whatever fast pistol powder you have on hand, and down by half grains. Check the bore after every shot unless you can see the bullet hit. When you stick one, you've gone too far, but the next step up should be OK. Use extreme caution, anyway.

Handis are really nice for this stuff because it's easy to glance through the bore when loading. Most of my really light loads have been in .38 Special cases for a Handi. Even standard WC match loads don't really sound like a gunshot.

I prefer lighter bullets for this stuff. If you happen to have the Lee soup can mould, that would be a good place to start. The Hornady swaged .314 SWC does pretty good to 25 yards when sized appropriately and relubed with LLA.

RU shooter
10-07-2007, 08:59 AM

Not a 30-30 but in my 308 I have used 185 gr boolit and 2.5-3.0 gr. Red Dot Verrrry quiet loads and good accuracy at 40 yds in back yard. Below 2.5 grs I stuck a boolit or two in barrel about 2 inch from muzzle

leftiye
10-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Ya might (I don't know, but it'd be my guess) have to stay with short boolits in those low velocities to stabiize the boolits and get good accuracy. On the other hand, published twist rates for boolits/velocities tend to be somewhat forgiving/vague for a lot of loads with cast. I'd think somewhere between published, and unreasonably short would work well.