PDA

View Full Version : SRH vs. BFR

Tatume
07-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Hi Folks,

It's been five months now that I've been waiting on Davidson's to get a BFR 44 Rem Mag. On the other hand, my local dealer has a new 44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk. They weigh about the same, they are both brutally strong, and the Super Redhawk is actually $100 less. I've heard the BFR is very accurate. On the other hand, I have a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, and I know them to be accurate.

Here's the question (you knew what was coming): would you continue to wait for the BFR or grab up the SRH?

Take care, Tom

pmeisel
07-13-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd go for the SRH and not look back. But then I like the looks of em.....

happie2shoot
07-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Hi Folks,

It's been five months now that I've been waiting on Davidson's to get a BFR 44 Rem Mag. On the other hand, my local dealer has a new 44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk. They weigh about the same, they are both brutally strong, and the Super Redhawk is actually $100 less. I've heard the BFR is very accurate. On the other hand, I have a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, and I know them to be accurate.

Here's the question (you knew what was coming): would you continue to wait for the BFR or grab up the SRH?

Take care, Tom

My SRH's in 454 and 44 will shoot 2'' at 100yds with the lee rnfr 300+ gr.
I got in on that NOE 310 lee plane base .433 dia., it shot a 5 shot group at 100yds
in 1 7/8'' 4 went in 1 1/4, vel. at 1375fps.

gray wolf
07-13-2013, 08:07 PM
My super red hawk is scary accurate in the 44 mag.

ebner glocken
07-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Either is great. Which is better... chocolate or vanilla?

Ebner

Lefty SRH
07-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Wow, thats a tough choice....I have a .44 SRH and have shot BFRs but to decide between the two, I can't steer you one way or another.

williamwaco
07-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Go for the SHR.

Then start saving you money again.
By the time Davidson's gets the BFR you might be able to buy it too.

44man
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
I have to walk a line here. Both are great guns. I was shooting beer cans at 200 yards with my SRH but sold it to a friend. I wanted the BFR .475 but was broke. I am not sorry, still miss the SRH but I get to shoot it a lot.
I really want mine back and also the BFR but SS sucks for money.

subsonic
07-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Both are good. If you want a short 5 shot single action, get the BFR.

If you want a 6 shot double action with a longer barrel, get the SRH.

Tatume
07-15-2013, 07:22 PM

I decided to not wait. The SRH is mine, and now sports a 4x Burris pistol scope, ready to be sighted in.

RobS
07-15-2013, 07:28 PM
You'll be happy it will likely be a great shooter. I also think the grips are easier to find for the SRH. I prefer the Hogue Tamer grips myself.

Tatume
07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
I expect it to shoot as well as the other one I own (a 454). They are indeed excellent guns. The 44 Magnum looks smaller, because of the fluted cylinder and brushed finish. I think it's a much better looking gun than the 454.

HighHook
07-15-2013, 07:52 PM
You wont be sorry on that buy! Great shooter that one is...

Jupiter7
07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
For looks, I think the BFR is a tad on the ugly side. Unless you need the redhawk for double action shooting, the blackhawk I a more fair comparison and better looking. Some nice distributor exclusives out there. The stainless bisley 5.5 looks like a winner.

nagantguy
07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
no you will not be sorry, I loved, loved, loved my SRH in .44 my brother always lusted after her. after he borrowed it and shot a large doe he was hopelessly in love. I being a good big brother and all around decent guy sold it to him with scope and ammo. still really miss my stainless Mary Jane.

RobS
07-15-2013, 10:15 PM
I expect it to shoot as well as the other one I own (a 454). They are indeed excellent guns. The 44 Magnum looks smaller, because of the fluted cylinder and brushed finish. I think it's a much better looking gun than the 454.

My 454 SRH is brushed stainless like the 44's but I know what you are talking about regards to the grey finish not looking as nice.

Tatume
07-16-2013, 06:41 AM
I have to walk a line here. Both are great guns. I was shooting beer cans at 200 yards with my SRH but sold it to a friend. I wanted the BFR .475 but was broke. I am not sorry, still miss the SRH but I get to shoot it a lot.
I really want mine back and also the BFR but SS sucks for money.

I'm going to find out, but fully expect to be pleased. After waiting five months for Davidson's to ship a BFR, this was too much temptation for me to resist. I have to get some ammo loaded as soon as I finish my morning coffee and I'm off to the range.

Take care, Tom

44man
07-16-2013, 07:51 AM
I never shot a bad one and friends own quite a few. Bull strong, deadly accurate revolver.
Nobody can find some of the BFR's they can't keep up with demand.
I have a lot of things on BO, molds, dies, etc, for 3 months now.
No company wants to expand or hire with Obuma in office.

gray wolf
07-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I prefer the Hogue Tamer grips myself.
I believe these are what they put on my SRH for my replacement pistol.
They have a small jell pack that fits under the web at the junction of the thumb and forefinger. They do wonders for easing the sting of recoil. They also give a lock on no slip grip, even with a little oil or lube residue on them. I have always been a fancier of nice wood grips but I like these. They are the ones they put on the heavier caliber SRH,s

Tatume
07-16-2013, 11:36 AM
I also prefer wood grips, and may order a set of Herrett Troopers for this SRH. The place where recoil bothers me a little is in the right elbow (I'm right handed).

Tatume
07-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Today I shot the SRH with unsized Ranch Dog 265 grain bullets lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. It showed promise, but wasn't good enough to satisfy me. I'm going to try some more of them, but this time sized 0.429" (the only appropriate die I have) and lubed with LBT Blue Soft lube. I'm also going to try some Sierra 240 grain JHP bullets.

The trigger is a bit stiff, but very crisp and with almost no overtravel. I ordered a Wolfe spring kit ($10). I expect the kit will do wonders for the trigger on the Super Redhawk.

Lefty SRH
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
If your SRH is like many other the groats will be on the large side as .431". Try and get some boolits Atleast that size. If you need some let me know.
You need to fill that cylinder throat. My .44 SRH likes a .431" boolit.

Tatume
07-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi Lefty,

I appreciate your generous offer, thank you. The unsized RD 265 bullets are 0.433" diameter. I recognize that sizing them to 0.429" may be too small, and I may have to order a custom die. In the meantime, if won't do any harm to try it.

Take care, Tom

44man
07-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Mine shot from .430" to .432" best. .429 is too small. OK for jacketed but I stayed with Hornady .430" bullets. They out shot every other bullet.
Chances are the groove is .430".

Tatume
07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Mine shot from .430" to .432" best...

I figure you're right, but it won't hurt to try. If I have to, I'll have a die made. Thanks, Tom

44man
07-17-2013, 02:16 PM
I figure you're right, but it won't hurt to try. If I have to, I'll have a die made. Thanks, Tom
Just get a Lee .431" die. You can Lap easy. Lyman and RCBS both have .431" dies. They can be lapped larger too. But .431" might be good enough. lee is the cheapest to alter to .432" for testing.

happie2shoot
07-17-2013, 11:32 PM
try this load

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

I got J. D. JONES 320gr. mold back in 85, it cast at 335gr with WW,
it was ok but the LBT 340 LFN shoots like a rifle, much better.
The Lee 310GC is good too.

Tatume
07-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Reminds me of a movie with Don Johnson and some other fellow whose name I forget. The other fellow got into a gun fight and was shooting a 454 Casull. With each shot he was counting "$2, $4, $6, ...." I can't afford Buffalo Bore ammo.

brotherdarrell
07-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Reminds me of a movie with Don Johnson and some other fellow whose name I forget. The other fellow got into a gun fight and was shooting a 454 Casull. With each shot he was counting "$2, $4, $6, ...." I can't afford Buffalo Bore ammo.

Harley Davidson and Marlboro Man - a really good "bad" movie.

Tatume
07-18-2013, 02:14 PM
That's the one! What was the actor's name, was it Mickey Rourke?

shorty500M
07-18-2013, 06:27 PM
That's the one! What was the actor's name, was it Mickey Rourke?

yup that was mickey. great movie

Tatume
07-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Yesterday I shot the SRH again at 25 yards, this time with Sierra 240 gr JHP bullets at 1400 fps. Of four five-shot groups, the smallest was one inch and the largest was one and one half inches.

The trigger is crisp with almost no over-travel, but is very stiff. I'm awaiting a Wolfe hammer/trigger spring kit, which I hope will make the gun easier to shoot well. Once I have that worked out, I plan to shoot some five-shot groups at 100 yards.

There is also a serious hitch when cocking the hammer. While I have it apart I'll locate and stone a burr that is causing the hang-up.

Tatume
07-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Just get a Lee .431" die. You can Lap easy. Lyman and RCBS both have .431" dies. They can be lapped larger too. But .431" might be good enough. lee is the cheapest to alter to .432" for testing.

The reason I want to size the bullets is not to size the bullets, but to apply LBT Blue Soft lube. I'm satisfied with the 0.433" diameter, and don't believe a reduction will improve anything. A Lee die won't help.

A Lyman or RCBS 0.431 die might be just the ticket, although I might just get Buckshot to make one for me at 0.432 inch.

Take care, Tom

44man
07-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Good choice, Buckshot can make anything.
I will tell you the truth about sizing. Most of our wonderful revolvers can't tell the difference in a few thousandths.

Tatume
07-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Today I installed springs in the Super Redhawk. Since it has been a number of years since I've opened one, I watched two YouTube videos. Both of them had errors. However, seeing the trigger group out of the revolver was all I needed to refresh my memory. My opinion, if you don't already know how to do something the right way, don't use YouTube.

The SRH now has a sweet trigger, which I'll put through its paces tomorrow. There was a burr on the edge of the hammer too. When I found (actually, felt) it, a quick pass with an India stone cured the hitch in the cocking motion. However, given where it was on the side of the hammer rubbing the frame, I'm sure it would have cured itself pretty soon anyway.

By the way, these things are a bear to take apart the first time. Once they've been apart once, they are much easier to disassemble and reassemble.

John 242
07-21-2013, 04:42 PM
My opinion, if you don't already know how to do something the right way, don't use YouTube.

Here's a video for the Redhawk, which I assume is similar inside to a Super Redhawk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSPi3ZHUCeY

I assume that these guys might know what they're doing, but you never know.

Tatume
07-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi John,

Your link wouldn't work for me, but the Redhawk and Super Redhawk are completely different anyway. I've looked at YouTube videos for many things, and they are at least partially wrong most of the time.

Take care, Tom

gofastman
07-22-2013, 09:20 AM
I tried both the ISMI and Wolff spring kit, couldn't get them to set off SR primers in my 454 loads, even with the heaviest one from Wolff.
I ended up keeping the OEM hammer spring and putting in the lightest Wolff trigger return spring.
I hope you have better luck!

Tatume
07-22-2013, 12:21 PM
I tried both the ISMI and Wolff spring kit, couldn't get them to set off SR primers in my 454 loads, even with the heaviest one from Wolff.
I ended up keeping the OEM hammer spring and putting in the lightest Wolff trigger return spring.
I hope you have better luck!

I used the 10 pound hammer spring and the 9 pound trigger return spring. The trigger is very nice, and function with 50 handloads this morning using Winchester LP primers was 100%.

With my 454 Casull SRH I did the same, and function is 100%.

I suspect you may have a burr on the hammer or frame that is adding friction to the hammer movement. Mine did. A little (very little) light grease may help too, particularly on the hammer sides and the spring and strut. Make certain the strut is installed correctly; this is one of the errors I found in YouTube videos.

Take care, Tom

gofastman
07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
what primers are you using in your 454 loads? Im using CCI 450s and they are HARD

Tatume
07-22-2013, 10:05 PM
what primers are you using in your 454 loads? Im using CCI 450s and they are HARD

Hi GoFast,

My primers are CCI 400.

Take care, Tom