PDA

View Full Version : Rossi , 357 Mag. , Stainless Steel

Ben
07-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I've been wanting one of these.

I wasn't too crazy about the new model with the safety in front of the hammer. I had hoped that some day I'd find on old model like the original 92' Winchester.

As luck would have it, I found a nice clean old model at the Birmingham Gun Show, the owner said the trigger and action were smooth, it was accurate and fed 38 Specials and 357 Magnums equally well. He is right. I came home and put some 38 Spec. and 357 Mags. in the tubular mag. and they fed very smoothly. This one is an old model about 10 or so yrs. old that didn't have the funky looking safety built into the bolt of the gun in front of the hammer......I think that is an eye sore .

Looks like I'm in business.

I have tons of 38 Spec. brass and 357 brass and MANY MANY MANY MANY bullet molds for this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/002-63.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/004-54.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/010-26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/012-24.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/014-20.jpg

Dan Cash
07-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Mighty handsome carbine; I envy you. Lets hear & see about its 100 yard and beyond accuracy.

outdoorfan
07-13-2013, 06:17 PM
I wasn't too crazy about the new model with the safety in front of the hammer.

Easy enough to make that into a non-issue.

happie2shoot
07-13-2013, 08:01 PM
I have had 2 in .357 with the safety, still have one that came out of the box with rust down both
sides of the barrel and it is SS, they both jamb so must I learn new bad words every time I shoot
them. I also have two in 454 that are a little better.
I would love it if they worked as good as others has said theirs did.

Ben
07-13-2013, 10:26 PM
happie2shoot

Seems from what I've read that it is a " dice roll " when you buy a new one. It may work flawlessly, it may be like yours and give feeding problems.

The fellow that I bought this one from today at the Gun Show in Birmingham had shot 38 Spec. and 357 Mags. through this one for several years with zero feeding problems and great accuracy.

I came home and cycled both rounds through the rifle. 100% functioning with 38 Spec. and 357 Mags.

Ben

runfiverun
07-14-2013, 12:05 AM
a lot of the new ones need to be pulled down and cleaned out once that's done they generally improve about 75%.
ben got an older one.
I really like the older ones, the navy arms are my favorite, the ones between them and the Lsi marked ones I favor second most.

rhead
07-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I have one in 44 mag that had feeding problems until i shortened the brass a couple of hundredths. it feeds fine now. I don't push max loads anyway. This one will feed full wad cutters in mag brass flawlessly. Rossi lever actions are all females and sometimes they are picky eaters, but you cannot help loving them all.

outdoorfan
07-14-2013, 10:30 PM
I filed the cartridge guides back a bit on my Rossi 357 to get it to feed a heavier boolit. Glad I did. Works great now.

DeanWinchester
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
My best friend has that same rifle. It does fair with 357 mag loads of various types. We've tried several. His will tear one ragged hole at 25 yards with a Fed 38 spl case, 3.0g of AANitro 100 and a Lyman 358429 lubed with Bens Red.

Gets score Ben. I want one something fierce.

Ben
07-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I took The SS Rossi , 357 Mag. rifle to the range today.

Targets below shot at 40 yards..." 6 O'Clock hold on the aiming square " ....I'm pleased for my 1st day out with the rifle.

Next, I'll fine tune some loads for the rifle and get the target farther down range.

Mostly just wanted to " zero " the rifle only today.

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/download1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/download-2.jpg

mran1126
07-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I have a Rossi in .357 but it keeps letting cartridges slip past the cartridge stop. If you don't see it and close the action, the next cartridge ends up under the carrier and after you fire the round in the chamber the action is locked up tight. Hard to diagnose because it is an on and off problem.

happie2shoot
07-17-2013, 11:09 PM
I filed the cartridge guides back a bit on my Rossi 357 to get it to feed a heavier boolit. Glad I did. Works great now.

could you post pictures of the cartridge guides you fixed.

happie2shoot
07-17-2013, 11:13 PM
I have had bad luck with mine

helice
07-17-2013, 11:27 PM
I have the ss LSI in 45 Colt. They are wonderful guns and so easy to carry. So glad yours has no bugs.

220swiftfn
07-18-2013, 01:33 AM
I have a Rossi in .357 but it keeps letting cartridges slip past the cartridge stop. If you don't see it and close the action, the next cartridge ends up under the carrier and after you fire the round in the chamber the action is locked up tight. Hard to diagnose because it is an on and off problem.

It sounds like the magazine interrupter (just what I'm calling it without a parts diagram in front of me!!!!) is either sticking, has a weak spring, or is getting knocked open by something (I've seen wide meplats on long rounds trip it, or maybe the lifter is hitting it??)

Dan

220swiftfn
07-18-2013, 01:37 AM

Here's something you can try before you start modifying parts..... Check to make sure the guides are even. This has caused feeding issues with mine after complete teardown cleanings. Loosen the guide screws and hold the guides to the rear as you tighten them if you've been having problems with feeding long oal rounds.....

Dan

runfiverun
07-18-2013, 02:39 AM
It sounds like the magazine interrupter (just what I'm calling it without a parts diagram in front of me!!!!) is either sticking, has a weak spring, or is getting knocked open by something (I've seen wide meplats on long rounds trip it, or maybe the lifter is hitting it??)

Dan

the spring can get weak or dirt can build up in the pocket for the spring causing the lever to hang up.
sometimes you can hear it when working the action.
you should hear audible clicks for the parts inside moving up and down.
if you don't hear the audible clicks the spring and ball need cleaned up and adjusted.

missionary5155
07-18-2013, 05:05 AM
Good morning
I think there is a diferent mentality in South American weapons production.
Historicly only those with a real Need bought a firearm. They are expensive, ammo cost alot and government restrictions abound. So only wealthy could afford to shoot for enjoyment. The common man still buys ammo 2 or 3 cartriges at a time. If you can afford a firearm you can also afford a firearm mechanic to make it function. A wealthy man does not get his hands dirty.
Today the machine owner takes whatever mechanical item they have to that type of a mechanic to make it run reliable. Again if they can afford the machine they have to afford the mechanic. Tools are expensive. Few have mechanical know how. Books do not exist. It is called "trade secrets".
So why would a South American manufacturer make a carbine that will be taken apart and cleaned, made to function before it gets handed to the client ? Before the client would think of going out hunting ? Again very little recreational shooting exists here.
Enter the American local gunshop. Mass sales.. everyone can afford to shoot and own a firearm. For years the US manufactures turned out ready to use firearms (some clunkers did slip by). Not so today sadly but then workers want higher pay and all those niceties cost alot of hours. Today Americam made firearms have all sorts of "send back" problems.
So along comes the South American imports. They were not built to be ready to shoot out of the box unless the Importer specified so. Some importers do specify better fit and function and the buyer pays for it. The old addage " You get what you pay for" is still true.
Some of us when we buy a firearm, car, motorcycle or whatever... take it apart, check it over and make sure it will run before heading to the wherever. It is what we were taught. It is who we are. It is the responsibility we take upon ourselves. If I pay $125 for a mold I figure it will be near perfect in the box. Spend $19.00 for a mold and I figure there may be an issue or two to address to make it near perfect.
Mike in Peru

outdoorfan
07-18-2013, 06:40 PM

This is where I got the idea: http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=995

However, I had to file quite a bit to get the boolit I wanted to shoot to work. It seems that not all is equal with these Rossi's. Some need a little work, some need a lot of work, and some need no work. And that can also depend on what the user wants out of it.

I like mine, and I've put a lot of work into it.

HiVelocity
07-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Ben-

Nice 40 yard group first of all.

I have a Marlin I'm playing with right now. You might want to check out NOE's bullet for the .38/.357:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=149

I bought this mold and love it. The HP weighs ~ 147grains; the full profile ~160grains with ACWW.

BTW, he has "1" double cavity HP mold left in his inventory as of this morning at 10:30.

HV

pdawg_shooter
07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I won a auction last week on a M92 44mag. Octagon barrel and color case on action. I load 3 different bullets, 240gr jacketed, 240gr SWC, and a 280gr LWN. It feeds all of them fine. 50 yard accuracy with me setting on the ground and factory sights was just over 1" with the 280s. I call that a keeper. Fit seemed good, a bit of roughness in the action that is going away fast. A bit mor finish on the stock would be nice, but I will fix that this winter. All in all I am quite happy with it.