PDA

View Full Version : Top punch incompatibilities.

Crashbox
07-13-2013, 03:33 PM
During the winter I stocked up on casting supplies including the purchase of a SAECO Lubrisizer. However, since I have Lyman moulds I will need a #132 and 429 top punches for said moulds and unfortunately the SAECO top punch is of a different (threaded) design. I am brand new to casting and have yet to pour my first projectile.

Does anyone make some form of adaptor or SAECO-compatible top punches for Lyman/RCBS molds?

Seems like you can get just about anything if you are willing to pay nowadays- for example, I was thrilled to get a .413 sizing die from Buffalo Arms so my .405 Winchesters will be happy...

Thank you in advance.

cuzinbruce
07-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi, Welcome to the hobby. It can be a lot of fun. It gets addictive after a while. And if you have any questions, someone here will almost always be able to help.
About the top punches, they don't have to be exact, in most cases. When I haven't had the specified top punch, I have used whatever seemed closest. Caliber matters as the punch has to enter the sizing die. Mostly it worked. Even saw somewhere they were using epoxy putty in a round nose punch to get the profile. Haven't tried that. If you don't have any punches, I would check the SAECO charts for an equivalent and order that. For instance, IIRC, the Lyman 429 punch is for the 358429 Keith SWC in 38/357. I am almost certain that there will be a SAECO bullet that will have close to the same profile. Also, IIRC, at least one of the members here makes top punches.
Good luck and have fun.
Bruce

Ed_Shot
07-13-2013, 05:34 PM
"theperfessor" , a member here, will make you a superb top punch at very reasonable cost ....I know from experience.