PDA

View Full Version : Converting F-1 Chrony to remote panel

Jim
07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I defaulted to this area.

I was recently gifted with an F-1 Chrony. At the suggested 10 to 15 ft. away from the muzzle, it's just a bit too far for me to be able to read the screen. I contacted the folks at the manufacturer and asked about the possibility of a remote screen for the F-1. For a grand total of $55.95, you send your unit to them and they'll install a jack for a remote screen plug and provide the remote screen.

This amounts to close to half the cost of the unit, but I thought I post it on the off chance that someone might be interested in this option.

I almost sent mine in for this modification. The only reason I did not is that a friend gave me a home made monocular (A bino cut in half!) and it will focus down to 10 feet. I can see and read the screen now, so I don't need the modification.

WILCO
07-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Duly noted Jim! How about a picture of that monocular?

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-13-2013, 04:06 PM
I used binoculars with my original that I bought in the late '80's. Once a friend paid me for the new trophy mount over his fireplace, I got the remote reading one.

kbstenberg
07-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Jim I got the remote screen with my Chrony. Its wonderful. The little monitor sits rite in front of you on the shooting bench. Its only like 2" by 3" by 3/4" which is wired directly to the chrony.
The only thing i don't like is having to break my shooting rhythm by copying the numbers. I have been considering getting the printer.

MaryB
07-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Would probably be possible to pull the display board out and remote it.

357maximum
07-14-2013, 03:40 AM
The best way to upgrade your chrony that I have seen. Put a bullet from a 30 Herrett into the front of the old unit.....cuss a bit.....order the new unit with the remote. That is how my Dad went about it anyway. :lol:

Jim
07-14-2013, 07:40 AM
The best way to upgrade your chrony that I have seen. Put a bullet from a 30 Herrett into the front of the old unit.....cuss a bit.....order the new unit with the remote. That is how my Dad went about it anyway. :lol:

I've just recently been given this chrony as a gift. Now what would it say to the giver if I deliberately destroyed it? Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll pass on that one.

41 mag fan
07-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Got one with the remote....had it for a yr or so now and just got it out of the box 3-4 days ago.

Jim
07-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Duly noted Jim! How about a picture of that monocular?

Here ya' go, WILCO.

Just around the right side are the stumps of the frame where somebody cut it off with a hack saw. Best I can tell, it's a 4 power. But it will focus down to ten feet, so it serves the purpose.

Beagle333
07-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Pretty handy lookin' device there, Jim! 8-) I just got a F1 yesterday and haven't tried it yet. (I didn't have enough points built up with Amazon for the one with the remote :veryconfu) So I'll keep that idea in mind!

Jim
07-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Janet has a pair of Bushnell 10X42 binos that she uses to watch the bunnies in the front area in the afternoons. I just took a look through them at something in the house about ten to fifteen feet away. They will focus down to that distance easily. I'm guessin' a cheap pair of binos from Wally World or some such might be the ticket for those with chronies that don't have the remote screen.

Beagle333
07-14-2013, 10:30 AM
I've noticed cheap binocs in the Thrift stores, for $5 or close to that. Those would probably be perfect for cutting in two. :smile:

montana_charlie
07-14-2013, 12:52 PM
The only thing i don't like is having to break my shooting rhythm by copying the numbers. I have been considering getting the printer.
You don't need to stop shooting to record the individual numbers. The unit will 'remember' an entire string of numbers ... and provide a bunch of other related information, too.

My F-1 is the plain one, with no remote readout. But, it does have a little jack on the side of the display.
I connected a spring-loaded switch to that jack, and after shooting a string (of up to ten shots) I can then press the switch to cycle through all of the data ... and copy it down if I want to save it for the future.

I may have the order of the information mixed up, but the data available (displayed sequentially with each button press) are:
Speed (of each shot)
Fastest speed (HI)
Slowest speed (LO)
Average speed (AV)
Extreme Spread (ES)
Standard Deviation (SD)

There should be a button on your remote display (someplace) which will get you the same access.

The instruction manual for my unit has the details on the information available, as well as some other useful stuff.

CM

(Mods -- Yeah, I know that what I wrote above has nothing to do with "general forum Help, Info , Member Prayers and Board Updates". So, delete my post as 'inappropriate' unless you think it belongs in Equipment Reviews and Discussion ... )

357maximum
07-14-2013, 02:13 PM
I've just recently been given this chrony as a gift. Now what would it say to the giver if I deliberately destroyed it? Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll pass on that one.

I did not say to do it intentionally.....shoot over a chrony long enough and IT WILL HAPPEN EVENTUALLY.....I was saying ...be patient. :lol:

archmaker
07-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Montana_charlie is right. I purchased some cord, a plug, and little hobby box with a push switch at Radio shack.

Now I just hit the button from my bench to read the chrony. Saw the mod on the net and found this link if you want to follow:

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13034&PN=2

For those that dont want to follow the link here is what you need:

3.5 Stereo Jack
Cord
Push button
Box (optional)