PDA

View Full Version : BPCR cases a tad short?

montana_charlie
10-05-2007, 02:49 PM
When I bought cases for my 45/90 Sharps, the rifle had not arrived yet. I did not know the actual depth of my newly-cut chamber, but I decided to 'square up the mouths' on the new brass to make sure it was uniform.
Using my reliable old Pacific trimmer, I made gradually deeper cuts on a randomly selected case until the cutter barely 'shined' the full circle of the mouth. That case measured 2.395", which seemed perfect for a 2.4" cartridge.
With that setting locked in, I 'squared up' all 250 cases.

Boy! Was that ever a mistake!

For one thing, the trimmer did not cut a square mouth. A measurement of 2.395" could decrease to 2.390" by just turning the case 90 degrees and taking the measurement again. I didn't discover this until later, and it was never apparent on the small diameter case necks I had trimmed over the past thirty years.

The next thing to bite me was the fact that BPCR cases get shorter when fired.
Yep, unless you are using heavy neck tension, the case doesn't get longer...it just gets fatter. But, since brass is being 'moved' a fatter diameter means the length decreases.

Yes...you can recover the length with full-length resizing, but my best loads come from fire-formed cases.

That means a case which started at 2.390 (on the 'short side' of the mouth) gets down to 2.383". That, coupled with the fact that my chamber is actually 2.410" deep, leaves a gap between the case mouth and the chamber end of 27 thousandths...big enough to drive a truck through.

I actually became aware of the mismatch, and it's importance, when trying to determine why so much lead collected in the chamber throat.

Well, I bought a Wilson trimmer to cure the squareness problem, but certainly couldn't use it on cases that were already too short. I needed a way to make 'em longer, first.

It is well known that 45/70 brass can be redrawn to 45/90 length. So I started looking for information about that process. Eventually turned up 'basic information' by buying Nonte's book on cartridge conversions. All of the pertinent information was contained in a simple line drawing of a die and punch, with some vague suggestions about shaping and hardening. But the information was clear enough to make some guesses about 'dimensions' which would draw out a case by .030"...instead of .300".

Being 'latheless' I had no hope of duplicating the tools described, and I have no way to harden steel. I 'talked' with an 'internet aquaintence' who would make a set for me, but dropped me like a hot rock when (at his request) I offered an amount which seemed fair to me. Seems $75 wasn't even worth discussing.

So I needed a more 'ready made' solution...and hopefully one that was more 'affordable' than kicking out another $170 for new brass.
I seem to have found it.

Nonte's 'die' was shaped in a way that had all of the 'work' happening in the bottom half-inch of the tool. So it seemed to me that everything above that point was serving no purpose, except as a 'guide' for the punch as it moved downward.
Although I have never seen one, I learned that a common drill jig bushing with an ID of .500" is a suitable substitute for that bottom half-inch of the die. McMaster-Carr has a good selection of bushings...and they don't cost much. They are already hardened, polished , and radiused on the top corner of the hole.

All I needed was a hardned punch of suitable diameter.

Nonte's punch had a diameter of .480". That was needed to draw enough material for the .300" stretch. It works the entire length of the case wall.
For .030", a smaller diameter would cause only the brass just above the head to be 'rearranged'. As the case/punch moves deeper into the restriction, the case wall between the 'die' and the punch becomes thinner, and no more brass flow is generated. I tried several, but the 'smaller punch diameter' that works well is .468"

McMaster-Carr sells a 15/32" drill blank that works perfectly after the nose has been shaped to fit the brand of brass you wish to modify. Actually, the shape of the nose is critical. Before I got THAT right, I was quite adept at destroying cases.

Below are some drawings. One shows dimensions suitable for Bell and RP brass. Might work for Starline, but I suspect the nose would have to be lengthened some. Might work on W/W if the nose was shorter, but diameter may simply be too small for that thin-walled brass.

The other drawing shows the relationship between the case and 'tools'. The (green) die is a two-diameter drill jig bushing, but a single diameter bushing would be better. I bought one with a 'lip', but didn't need it.
The (red) outline on the case shows where brass is 'stolen' from to lengthen the case.
CM

Pepe Ray
10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
This is a great post.
I reccommend it be put in the archives for referance purposes. (Sticky??)
Pepe Ray

Jon K
10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Charlie,

Have you got the brass all straightened out? After drawing it out, doesn't it shrink a little when you expand the mouth for loading?

If you are interested, I have some Starline brass to sell 155 annealled & unfired 49 of 155 were loaded & taken apart/100 once fired(in Shiloh)/unsized .499-base & .481-.482 neck,2.390-2.395 oal.
If you are interested $100 shipped. PM me.

Jon

montana_charlie
10-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Charlie,

Have you got the brass all straightened out? After drawing it out, doesn't it shrink a little when you expand the mouth for loading?
No, I have not done my 'good' cases yet. I am currently devising a jig to hold everything in alignment when pressing the punch down through the die.
I am using a 30-ton hydraulic shop press, and it is not a 'precision tool'. So, I need something which assures everything stays in a straight line.
A guy using a beefy reloading press, or an arbor press, could probably survive without the jig.

As for the 'shrink' when expanding the mouth, I plan to compensate for that this way...

After passing through the die, the case is too fat to chamber. But, it is only the middle of the case that has a problem. So, I run the case up into a full-length sizing die that has been backed out of the press .420 inches.
After that, the case will chamber, but it is almost the same fit as a fire-formed case. The mouth is still big enough to thumb seat my bullets.

If I trim them at that point to 2.410 (the same length as my chamber depth) they will fire safely...and I haven't removed much brass at all. After firing, I can fine-tune the length for correct chamber clearance, but I don't expect they will have 'shrunk' appreciably.

If you are interested, I have some Starline brass to sell...
Thanks, but I think I will come out OK.
I just wish I could find a few Bell cases to replace those destroyed in testing...after I ran out of 'junk' cases.
CM

oneokie
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
MC, this is kinda off the wall, but--

Couldn't a person use cerro-safe to make a cast of the inside of a cartridge case to use as a pattern in making the punch? Would also give accurate way of determining the wall thickness.

oneokie
11-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Did you check to see how much thinning of the case wall occured after the redraw?

montana_charlie
11-18-2007, 01:58 PM
oneokie,
Sorry for the delay in answering, but I haven't been checking this thread lately.

(1) Yes, CerroSafe could be used to get an idea of the inner shape of the case.
So far, I have found that Bell and RP (Remington) are similar enough to use a single punch shape.
Winchester has a much thinner wall. and needs a fatter punch. Still trying to determine a good size for that, but it may be that Winchester is not suitable for re-drawing.

That leaves Starline...and I don't have any to look at.

(2) As for how much the case wall gets thinned...I don't have a measurement, but really don't care.

The punch is .468" and the die (drill jig bushing) is .500".
That means the wall can never be made thinner than .032"
Since the half-inch of case right at the head is never modified (that's the part which is inside the die at the start) it is not weakened.
The neck doesn't get thinned at all, so only a short portion of the case wall gets 'stretched'...and that section is still (at least) .032" thick...which is no thinner than Winchester brass as it comes from the factory.

Only if something is not well polished...and brass gets hung up on a rough surface...can that stretched portion of the wall be pulled into a very thin cross section. When that happens, the case tears in half. Don't ask me how I know...
CM

montana_charlie
04-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Well, I have been experimenting, and even figured out the punch dimensions for .45 caliber Starline brass. Rick has also been busy, and we have a workable design that is about ready for prime time. It uses a Porto Power hydraulic ram to provide the push to drive a case through the re-drawing die.

Not too many guys own a Porto Power set, but they can be found at tool rental shops...or a friendly auto mechanic might loan one out for a day.

As it happens, I am close to being able to offer this stretching tool to others.
It is just conceivable that we could have a batch of stretching jigs available by the end of May.

That first (probably) ten units will be sold for the lowest price we can possibly produce them for. Although we are trying to streamline all of the 'fat' out, it appears we will be hard pressed to make it for less than $80...might even go a little over that.

Yes, that is a considerable amount for a guy who will do his 200-300 cases, and be done with it. Of course, he can go in with a couple of buddies to defray the cost. But, if an individual buyer sells it to the next shooter down the line, he can recover his investment, and that makes one jig we won't have to build.

I will say this about the new design.
My first dependable outfit (doesn't ruin cases) cost about $55 to build, and I still need to use my reloading press to strip the stretched case from the punch. It's the one I'm using now.
The new tool includes the ability to strip cases, and is much 'slicker' in appearance and operation.

If you have any of those Canadian mould handles, you already know Rick's work.

If your .45 cases are length challenged, you may PM me to stay informed on availability...
CM

Bullshop
04-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I also see need for a 50cal from 348 brass. It is difficult to get even 2.2" by fireforming, but we need to go clear to 2.4" for the 50/110. What are the possabilities there?
BIC/BS

leftiye
04-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Used to be a guy named Robert Pomeroy in Corinth Maine who made me some 50 Basic 2.5" cases out of .348 brass. From talking to him I got the impression that his method of drawing was to put a plug/shaft with an enlarged end into the case and then withdraw it through a die (press the whole case/rod thing into a ring die, and pull the rod out). Synthetic (NASA $50 per gallon) 20W oil mixed with Lanolin for draw die lube.

montana_charlie
04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I also see need for a 50cal from 348 brass. It is difficult to get even 2.2" by fireforming, but we need to go clear to 2.4" for the 50/110. What are the possabilities there?
BIC/BS
Bullshop,
At this point I can't even guess what might be needed.

First, tell me the 'official' name of the 348 cartridge, so I can look for some specs.
Then, tell me the diameter of the head, just above the rim (I assume it's a rimmed case).
From that information I can make some raw guesses about what it might take to relocate the metal in the case.

But, if you really want things figured out, it will take (at a minimum) a handful of cases to experiment with...plus one cleanly sectioned case to take measurements from.

CM