PDA

View Full Version : Have C&R. Now I'm Dangerous...

Bigscot
08-16-2005, 06:30 PM
...and have some questions I'm sure you have all heard before.
I have been wanting to get a mauser in 8mm for some time. I have looked at the Turks, Yogos, etc and do not which one to get or from where. So I am looking for recommendations on which mauser to get for use as a plinker/shooter and where is a good place to look and order from. I have already heard bad things about Sarco and Mitchells jacks up their prices. I also would like to get a Schmit and Rubin one too. Thanks for any input and tolerating the redundant questions.

BS

NVcurmudgeon
08-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Big Scot, I can only speak about the Yugo, as it is the only currently available milsurp rifle I have any experience with. I got a Yugo 1948 in new condition when dealers other than Mitchell had them. It seems to be a well made Mauser, about as nicely finished as a middle of WWII German Mauser. Accuracy is excelllent, I have managed some 1" groups at 50 yd. and minute of geezer eyes (2" to 3") at 100 yd. I would not buy a "Mitchell Mauser". You can get a Savage at Wal-Mart for Mitchell's price!

C1PNR
08-16-2005, 07:12 PM
About an hour and a half ago I spoke with "Steve" at AIM and ordered one of their VZ24 Czech 8mm Mausers. $139.95 with a "scrubbed" receiver. BTW, for another $20.00 you get a "can" (~ 380 rounds) of Romanian 8mm surplus ammo.

They do have differing grades of VZ24's, so ask if you're interested.

They make a point in the print advertisment I received that "do not expect bores to be in New condition, but these VZ's feature very strong rifling and will make Great shooters."

I'm buying this one to convert to 7.62 x 39 for the Grandkids, so I'm not really worried about bore condition.

They also have various Yugo's (M48, M48A, M24/47, etc.) and the Schmidt-Rubin K31's.

I'm not trying to sell you on AIM, just using this as an example. I've had good luck with Sarco, SOG, and others I don't remember right now (CRS, don't cha know).

Good luck, and remember, Nomex gloves do help when trying to touch the C&R abused credit card!:lol:

Shepherd2
08-16-2005, 11:50 PM
If you are looking for a Turk SOG has M38s on sale this month for $59.95. Expect mismatched serial numbers and maybe a beech handguard with a walnut stock. That's normal. AIM and SOG are both good companies to deal with. I've never had a problem with either. My only complaint is that they are both in Ohio so I have to pay sales tax.

Once you get copies of your C&R out to dealers you'll be getting monthly or quarterly fliers from some of them. You'll see who has what and be able to compare prices.

Bigscot
08-17-2005, 09:32 AM
What is the procedure for getting the license out to dealers? Mail or fax? Do need to call them first and let them it is being sent? What about suppliers like Brownells.

BS

Shepherd2
08-17-2005, 10:29 AM
I sent Graf and Midway a signed copy of my C&R along with a note requesting dealer pricing. I got a wholesale catalog from Graf's in short order. I never heard from Midway so after a month or so I called. They said I was set up as a dealer and then they sent me the wholesale catalog. My son had to do the same thing with Midway.

I called Brownells to order some parts I needed asap. While on the phone I asked about the dealer pricing. The very nice lady asked if I had my license in hand and I replied "Yes". On the strength of that she set me up as a dealer and gave me the lower price on the items that qualified. She had me send a signed copy of the license to the attention of the person in charge of such things.

One thing about Brownells though. You don't get dealer pricing on all the items in their catalog. Quote "Some individual tools and supplies most commonly used in the gun shop, and not usually resold to your customers do not have Business Discounts." Everything else usually has a very good discount. Even if you have to pay full price it's almost worth it to do business with such nice people. Brownells has been favorite of mine for years.

trooperdan
08-17-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm buying this one to convert to 7.62 x 39 for the Grandkids, so I'm not really worried about bore condition.

I've been very interested in cobbling together a 7.62x39 bolt gun for a while now; I'll be following your progress eagerly, if you choose to keep us informed that is. What is your plan of attack for the conversion?

waksupi
08-17-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned,but in the latest BATF bulletin I got last week, they have OK'ed faxing the licenses to dealers. Most computers have a fax option, you can send directly from you computer. I just recently found this out, my self.

brimic
08-18-2005, 09:04 AM
I would look at one of the K98's that were refurbised by the Yugoslavians, or one of the post war Czech (BRNO) K98s that are sold through samcoglobal.com

Both will be 8mms that are practically new, but the yugo refurbs will be a bit nicer and more refined. If you can find a Yugo M48 that is either unissued or in exc condition under 2 bills, that would make a real good shooter as well.

C1PNR
08-18-2005, 03:58 PM
I've been very interested in cobbling together a 7.62x39 bolt gun for a while now; I'll be following your progress eagerly, if you choose to keep us informed that is. What is your plan of attack for the conversion?
I'll keep ya'll informed as to progress.

Plan is: 1) Rebarrel; 2) Bolt handle cut and weld; 3) a: Receiver sights and later b: Scope; 4) a: Cut down original stock, or maybe a synthetic and b: Wood stock from Boyd's, or other source.

This is my 4th iteration of this post. The first three were much more extensive, but when I try to "Preview post" my computer locks up and I've lost it. I'm using "Slimbrowser" instead of IE, so that's probably part of it.

C1PNR
08-18-2005, 04:10 PM
What is the procedure for getting the license out to dealers? Mail or fax? Do need to call them first and let them it is being sent? What about suppliers like Brownells.

BS
Take a look at this web site:
http://pub176.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm33.showMessage?topic ID=1.topic

They have a sample letter, too.

No_1
08-18-2005, 06:53 PM
This is my 4th iteration of this post. The first three were much more extensive, but when I try to "Preview post" my computer locks up and I've lost it. I'm using "Slimbrowser" instead of IE, so that's probably part of it.

I have had some real long winded answers lately which is unusual and when I try to preview I get the same lock problem. It always clears up but sometimes it takes maybe 5 minutes to get going. I know it is not computer or internet connection on my end cause this thing is pretty high end and the connection is fast. What do you think gives?

45nut
08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
I have had some real long winded answers lately which is unusual and when I try to preview I get the same lock problem. It always clears up but sometimes it takes maybe 5 minutes to get going. I know it is not computer or internet connection on my end cause this thing is pretty high end and the connection is fast. What do you think gives?

Kinda sounds like spyware to me...

No_1
08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Kinda sounds like spyware to me...

Maybe but I am pretty much on top of that stuff. I clear my cookies, files and history on a regular basis and also run a full version of "Spyware Vanisher" which loads on start-up and seems to catch most if not all of them. I am pretty computer savvy but that does not mean I know everything or have the best stuff so you may be right......