PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 gas checks?

mrblue
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
I just got my lyman 450 set up with my sizing die and punch. I attempted a few and i like it. But since i bought this used, Im wondering do i put the gas checks on while im sizing and lubing or do I need that gas check seater i see lyman sells. And if not whats the point of lyman selling that tool?

Dale in Louisiana
07-12-2013, 04:44 PM
The 'official' gas check seater just props up the bottom punch in position so that you can short-stroke the top punch to push down on the bullet to firmly and squarely seat the check.

If your check/bullet combo fit together smoothly with finger pressure, then you don't need the seater. If you need a little extra oomph to get them together, the Lyman device is one way to do it.

Once you see what one does, if you're the least bit handy with tools you can fab up something with a bit of tubing, a file and a hacksaw.

Lyman sells them because people often would rather buy the 'official' thing than rig up their own.

dale in Louisiana

williamwaco
07-12-2013, 05:15 PM
I just got my lyman 450 set up with my sizing die and punch. I attempted a few and i like it. But since i bought this used, Im wondering do i put the gas checks on while im sizing and lubing or do I need that gas check seater i see lyman sells. And if not whats the point of lyman selling that tool?

You do need to seat them firmly before sizing.
I have used that tool, since it comes with the 4500 and I got it for free.
It works very well.
You can do exactly the same thing with the wrench that removes the dies.
Place it flat across the top of the die retaining nut. Place the check on the base of the bullet with your fingers and then set it check down on the flat of the wrench. Now use the top punch to press the bullet firmly and straightly into the check.