PDA

View Full Version : Burner question, would like facts and opinions please

3jimbo3
07-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I have an older cast iron dual burner camping type stove that I use for smelting down ww's. I think these can actually still be purchased new at sporting goods stores. The burners are cast iron as well as the frame. It is supplied fuel from a propane tank like on a grill or a camper. I use a pot that I made from an old tank off of a BBQ grill, cut in half, I use the bottom half of course. It just don't get hot enough or if it does it seems to run cool on top. I figure the regulator isn't big enough, probably a low pressure regulator, to really heat it up the more I add to it. Now here is where the facts and opinions come in......what will happen if I take the regulator off? I it safe to do so? Will it just blow through gas like an old Chevy truck?

I'm leaving this up to the masters of the hobby, you guys have helped me a lot.

Thanks, Jim

Adk Mike
07-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Propane tanks have POL threads (put on left) that way you can't pipe it with out a regulator. A prop ane tank cut in half for a smelter does not hold enough heat in the steel. A cast pot works much better. I would first find a cast pot. I use a turkey cooker with a high pressure burner. Regulator will be red and adjustable.
Do not pipe it direct you will get hurt !
Mike

wv109323
07-12-2013, 10:44 PM
The propane tank has a large surface compares to the burner size. You need trap and direct the heat to the full bottom of the tank. Some weld an extra ring around the bottom of the propane tank. You could get a smaller cast iron pot that will dissipate the heat better. With propane as a fuel I don't think you need more BTU's just take advantage of what you have.

3jimbo3
07-14-2013, 03:12 PM
yes I was planning on welding a better ring on the bottom. I have some 3/16's plate and I'm in the process of cutting it out now. hopefully this will direct the heat better.

ssnow
07-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Do not remove the regulator. I'd hate to think of the possible consequences, it would not be pretty.

When you think of your propane bottle, do you consider it to be low, or high pressure? It is high pressure, and relies on the regulator to bring the pressure down. The gas going to your house, is low pressure from the meter onward. Only a few ounces of pressure. It is regulated at the meter.

I don't actually know how much pressure is on the bottle, but it's a lot more than we see in our homes. You need the regulator. Don't take it off. You can get a bigger regulator and burner, but you have to regulate it.

Cosmiceyes
07-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Propane tanks have POL threads (put on left) that way you can't pipe it with out a regulator. A prop ane tank cut in half for a smelter does not hold enough heat in the steel. A cast pot works much better. I would first find a cast pot. I use a turkey cooker with a high pressure burner. Regulator will be red and adjustable.
Do not pipe it direct you will get hurt !
Mike
Just what he said! :)'s

Dan Cash
07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Weed burners operate directly from the propane tank and are not particularly hazardous. They do consume vast amounts of fuel to generate their heat. Having said that, I don't think your cook stove will work if you feed directly from the tank without a regulator. Cheaper and more efficient to follow the advice already given. Get a heavy steel or cast iron pot. Get a banjo type cooker with high pressure regulator and be happy.

ssnow
07-16-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm no expert on the subject. Every weed burner that I have seen, does in fact, use a regulator. But, in light of Mr. Cash's comments, I did a quick Google search and found that he is right in certain cases. Some weed burners do not use a regulator. For those burners, it appears that the only regulation of the propane is done by orifice size and the valve.

But, orifice size is important in the proper operation of the system. It is the only difference between a propane and natural gas furnace. Again, I'm no expert on the subject, but there is no way that I personally would hook up a non-regulated propane bottle to a burner that was designed to use a regulator. It does not seem to me a wise move to make.

I can tell you what I did; I built a bottom pour smelting pot, and used a jet burner. I wasn't happy with the jet burner, so I switched to a 32 jet impinged jet burner, and a 30lb adjustable regulator. It adds some cost, but does a nice job.

375RUGER
07-16-2013, 01:59 PM
My weed burner doesn't have a regulator. I also have a burner (fish fryer) that I mix large 50# batches in that doesn't have a regulator. Reglators just aren't required, they are a saftety device, they are a there for consistency to compensate for pressure differences in the tank. The adjustable regulators are good though.
3jimbo3,
I find the propane cook stoves barely adequate for boiling water much less for rendering down a batch of WW. I use a campfire to melt down large, 60-120# batches. I quit using the fish cooker because it takes too long. I'd also worry about loading it too heavy, those cook stoves aren't the stoutest.
In addition to directing the heat, fashion some sort of lid, even aluminum foil, to hold the heat in the pot as well, makes a big difference.