PDA

View Full Version : WW transport

jawjaboy
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
[smilie=b: Went to pick up my 2 buckets this morning. This has happened to me twice. Both times the buckets were unsecured. It does't take much to get a 150 pound bucket of ww's sliding. A 150# bucket with momentum ~will~ get your attention when it hits something! The first time it happened, I had to slam on brakes(wimmen drivers), sounded like it took the entire back seat out. This time I was braking normally(I thought) when it slid and fell over, sounded like a tree had fell on the car. Twice bit. Take fair warning! :wink:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000408.jpg

kellyj00
10-05-2007, 01:42 PM
bummer!
Maybe, as a suggestion, it would be a good idea to put the buckets on the floor board in the back seat?

I used to have an 04 mustang that had most of the trunk taken up by stereo equipment as my only vehicle so I had to use the back seat/passenger seat for almost everything. a 8' 2x4 will fit from the dash to the trunk lid with the back seat down. ;) Now i've got two trucks and no supply of wheel weights.

MT Gianni
10-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Best excuse for a pickup and a couple of tie down straps I've seen. G

imashooter2
10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Set the buckets on the carpet instead of that plywood and they'll be a lot harder to slide.

Typecaster
10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Mass in motion is an amazing thing.

Being a shiftless and lazy Irishman, I don't use straps in my pickup. The bed liner has vertical notches both in front of and behind the wheelwells, and I keep a 2x8 positioned at the back end. It keeps buckets BEHIND the wheelwells...that makes it easy to offload, and keeps them from sliding far.

The downside to a bedliner—especially when it's clean—is that it provides a nice, non-stick surface. Especially when you're hauling a full pallet of brick. That isn't all the way forward in the bed. You don't even have to stop quickly to have instant excitement—ask me how I know...

Scrounger
10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
When I have to transport something heavy like that, I put it in the seat and use the seatbelt to keep it in place.

kellyj00
10-05-2007, 04:46 PM
That's quite a supply! Congrats.

jawjaboy
10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I normally take the truck when I pick up buckets, tie downs and bungees stay in it. Today I had to get the tires rotated and balanced on my work car, so I drove it to town....forgot to throw a couple of straps in the car, that's all. CRS is real! The plywood is in there to keep the buckets from busting through that flimsy pressed cardboard that covers the spare tire well. Been there! :wink: Both times this has happened, I forgot straps.

imashooter2
10-05-2007, 05:38 PM
You roll them over one on each side behind the wheel wells so they don't bust through the cardboard. I've been there myself...

Single Shot
10-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I just use a spring loaded expandable shower curtain rod as a load lock.

I got it at a Big Lots store for about $10

Blammer
10-05-2007, 06:52 PM
put the plywood under the carpet....

grumpy one
10-05-2007, 07:27 PM
You don't want a heavy weight in the trunk or tray to get a running start, if you stop suddenly (like against the back of a stationary bus, for example). The rear seat, or rear of the cab, can stand up to more weight behind it that way. Good holddowns are fine, or otherwise place the load in contact with the front of the rear compartment.

I don't find it convenient to put heavy loads inside the car because it damages the upholstery and, especially if you put them on the floor, makes it way harder to pick them up and take them out. I don't like trying to carry 150 pound buckets anyway. My solution, such as it is, is to try to subdivide heavy loads. For WW buckets that means taking along my own small buckets and dividing the load up into 35-50 pound installments. Having more buckets fills the trunk better so they don't tip over or move around as much, and taking them out of the vehicle is much easier.

When I went to pick up my rotary table for the mill I knew it was going to be heavy, and planned ahead. Made a false floor for the trunk that distributed the load properly while raising the floor level to a convenient lifting height. This also meant I could just slide the rotary table back across the smooth surface of the false floor onto a die truck without any interference from the rear structure of the car. I also prepared a couple of heavy hold-down straps, so I wouldn't get an earful of rotary table if I crashed the car on the way home. Ever since then I've had that false floor stashed away so I can just put it in the trunk whenever I'm expecting to collect something heavy. Better for me, and better for the trunk too.

jawjaboy
10-05-2007, 07:27 PM
put the plywood under the carpet....

Now that's an idea. I'll put a good cipher on it, see how it'll work out. The poor lil ol trunk on that Civic has lived through 2 train wrecks already. He deserves a little attention I reckon. Thanks Blammer.

dmftoy1
10-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I was hoping to read this thread and find a gadget that costs about $5 and would lift a 5 gallon bucket full into the back of my truck with my little finger. :)

Last time I hit a place with 3 full 5 gallon buckets it took me awhile to get my breath back before I could drive off. . . . . there was another guy coming in to get ww's and I could see him in the parking lot so I was hustling as fast as I could.

Have a good one,
Dave

curt48mauser
10-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I had a tire go flat and when I was getting it fixed, I asked about getting some tire weights,
They offered me a 5 gal pail about 2/3 full (cool), but they wanted the bucket back. O.K.,
I scrounged up a cardboard box and gruntingly managed to start pouring out the weights into the box in my trunk. YIKES, the dang pail had waste oil in the bottom of it. That came back out of my trunk as fast as it went in. Oh well, a gift horse is still a gift horse.

Crash_Corrigan
10-07-2007, 12:53 AM
I always have about 5 or 6 five gallon buckets on the back seat or floor behind the front seats. I make my rounds of my contributors and take whatever I can get. If I am lucky and score a full bucket I take in two buckets. I dump the full one to half fill an empty. I leave the empty with my name and phone number on it and take out the two 1/2 full buckets and place into the car behind the front seat on the floor. If I score again I place the 1/2 empty buckets on the front floor ahead of the passenger seat. The remainder will go onto the back seat belted tight to prevent any spillage. One day I ran out of buckets and had to scrounge some cartons to place in the trunk to be filled from the location's buckets. I rode home real slow and carefully as I had over 6 full buckets of weights on board and my Dodge Intrepid was riding really low.

cohutt
10-07-2007, 08:49 AM
JJB,

One day down here you're gonna cross paths with an old sheriff who will see you and think you're runnin corn whiskey again.

(Dang revenuers!)