PDA

View Full Version : A little help finding ingredients

cs86
07-12-2013, 09:31 AM
I'd like to make some Felix lube, but I've never worked with some of the ingredients needed.

Trying to figure out if there is a specific kind of each and where to find them.

Lanolin
Caster Oil
Mineral Oil

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

375RUGER
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Lanolin and mineral oil at the drug store. Castor oil at the vitamin shop.

Baja_Traveler
07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
I use Lanolin by the pound for all my black powder lube - get it cheap from RandyRat right here on these boards.

Beware the drug store lanolin - it is usually full of water. You want to specify Anhydrous Lanolin...

41 mag fan
07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I got the castor and mineral oil at Walgreens. Lanolin I ordered several yrs ago as 100% anhydrous lanolin from some vendor off of Amazon.
But Randyrat has lanolin, I got 2 lbs off him here a few months back.

runfiverun
07-12-2013, 11:14 AM
the castor oil and mineral oil should be in your stores pharmacy section.
look at Fleet brand enema's, and baby oil if all else fails.
many places sell castor oil in small 2-3 oz bottles that are blue.

C.F.Plinker
07-12-2013, 12:30 PM
If you want to get the lanolin locally, ask at the grocery store pharmacy. They will probably have to order it from their supplier, but that only takes a day or two. Check several because the price can vary considerably. When I was looking the large chain wanted $32 per pound but the smallest chain could get it for $11 per pound. This is USP anhydrous lanolin so it has not had any water added to it.

cs86
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Well I got all my ingredients and I'm waiting for Randyrat to send my lanolin. Another thing I wondered about is where do you guys get your Beeswax? I picked some up at Hobby Lobby and it seemed expensive. Like $30 for a lb. if I remember right. I'm sure there are cheaper places out there.

Dale in Louisiana
07-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Well I got all my ingredients and I'm waiting for Randyrat to send my lanolin. Another thing I wondered about is where do you guys get your Beeswax? I picked some up at Hobby Lobby and it seemed expensive. Like $30 for a lb. if I remember right. I'm sure there are cheaper places out there.

Amazon.com is a good place to start. I'm a 'prime' so I look for free shipping and compare it with the lowest prices elsewhere that charge shipping. Amazon comes out on top most of the time, especially since a purchase from a prime seller included free two-day shipping.

You might check you local phone book for beekeepers, or ask at your nearest farm supply store about local beekeepers, too. sometimes a phone call and a short drive will get you both beeswax and great local honey.

dale in Louisiana

fredj338
07-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Call Randy & add it to your order. His BW is cheap & nicely refined. Make friends with a bee keeper & you can often get raw wax free, but it will need some refining to get the junk out of it.

cs86
07-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Yep I added beeswax with the lanolin order just in time before he shipped. He is much cheaper than the hobby store. Thanks for all the help.

mikeym1a
07-20-2013, 04:24 AM

Just checked fleabay, and found lots. One charges 6.95/lb + shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pound-Pure-Beeswax-Golden-Yellow-Bees-Wax-/120538931517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c10ae213d good luck. :-)