PDA

View Full Version : 1895GG Lever Issues

Wufflykins
07-12-2013, 02:54 AM
I'd like to preface this post by showing my appreciation for this forum, I've benefited from the information here numerous times over the last couple of years.

I wish my first post here was on a less bothersome note however - I've been struggling with an issue with my 1895 Marlin Guide Gun.

The issue has been persistent since my purchase several years ago and I've had a 'quick fix' in place for a while that seemed to do the trick; the problem is that my action opens too easily - and I mean that - a feather touch can pop the action open (this goes double for firing a round off).

For the longest time I though the spring in this little plunger here was the issue:

So I put in a *much* stiffer spring and that sort of solved the issue - except for the fact that it then took extra effort to close the action the last eighth of an inch.

Anyway, my interest in rifles took a back seat to Pistol shooting and other hobbies and the issue went on unattended. Recently however I've redeveloped in western era guns and have taken it upon myself to remove the quick fix have a second go at fixing it properly.

Upon disassembly of the stock I noted this small lever and torsion spring(?) - also noted was that if I touched it gently the action would pop open as was the issue before.

Now I don't have much to compare it to as there isn't a huge market for cowboy guns in a small Australian town (I think I might've seen one 30-30 Winchester at the range in the last few years) I can't say for sure if this is out of the ordinary or not but depressing the rod protruding in the picture below takes a fair amount of effort.

I'll readily confess that I'm no gunsmith - so before I pull the entire receiver apart I wanted to know if anyone has experienced anything like this before - or - if they could tell me if I am on the right track.

Cheers - Wufflykins.

Pepe Ray
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Great post!!
Both articulate and artistic.
I'm looking forward to the responses.
Pepe Ray

zuke
07-12-2013, 09:59 PM
All I did to mine was to remove the factory spring, cut off a couple coil's off the length and them polish up the contact surface's and outside of the pin. That helped a lot.