PDA

View Full Version : Playing with my marlin guide gun...

gew98
07-12-2013, 12:31 AM
...well finally got around to shooting some 500 grain cast with it and not using shoulder breaking loads. I was pushing the 500 pill with 55 gns WC860 ( that's all that you can fit behind it ). Anyhow I shot a handfull at 30 yards and got about 3" low and 6" to the right consistently. In no way is there enough adjustment in my factory sights !!. I've been reading about Skinner sights for some time , but since they no longer make the "ladder" sight I'm up the creek. Their current made sights I'm sure do not offer enough elevation nor windage from their looks.
What would be my best alternative from least expensive to $ouch$ ?.

Scharfschuetze
07-12-2013, 03:19 AM
I'd first try a much lower front sight to bring your point of impact up. With that much error in your windage, you may want to split the difference between drifting your rear sight to the left and your front sight to the right to zero up deflection wise.

I'm guessing that your sight radius is about 16 inches and if that's the case, you'll need a front sight that is about .045" shorter to bring it up 3" at 30 yards. Your deflection value should be double that at about .09" either with just the rear or front sight drifted or split between the two.

1Papalote
07-12-2013, 07:56 AM
My GG shot low also. I put a taller factory Marlin rear folding sight on the back. I also have a SKINNER post on the front. buy the front sight taller than needed and file a little, shoot a lot. you can dial it in

Papalote

country gent
07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Error times sight radious divided by distance shot all in inches give you the amount of correction needed. I would split that much between front and rear elevation maybe 2/3rds rear even. As it is easier to see a taller front post. WIndage can be drifted on both or a front can be made off center if it is dovetailed in place.