PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally gonna shoot cast bullets

Bigoledude
10-05-2007, 04:11 AM
This is the first season I'm gonna actually get out and hunt with some cast bullets since Katrina washed my house away 2 years ago. My rifle is a NEF "Buffalo Classic".

It appears I will be buying some cast bullets from one of the sponsors here "The BullShop". This is the Christian brother in Alaska. When my house is rebuilt, I will cook my own.

What-all do I need to do besides just seating the bullet?

Do I need some kind of lube on the cast bullet?

Can I allow the bullet to extend to just shy of the lands?

Since the bullets will never be in a magazine, must I still crimp?

kodiak1
10-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Bigoledude. The bullshop will send them lubed for what you want Black Powder or Smokeless or with out what ever you want.
So that gets you back to the first question, just seat over powder and primer and they are good to go.
You can seat the bullets how ever you want and what ever works best in your firearm.
Crimping is not required but if you wish just a slight one would be all that I recommend.
So get out there try what you are think of and see if it works for your gun.
Good luck and Great Hunting.
Ken.

jack19512
10-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I just recently started casting for my B/C also. I like the 340 gr. and the 405 gr. bullet. There seems to be several powders that work well but so far I like 4198. I crimp mine but I made sure they would chamber OK before crimping. I use LLA lube. I am in the process of working up a load and it is going good so far. Velocity for my 340 gr. is around 1500 fps. with no leading.

AZ-Stew
10-07-2007, 11:11 AM
One more thing:

Don't try to seat cast bullets in a case that's only been through a j-bullet sizer die. The neck will be too tight and you'll either shave lead off one side of the bullet, or you'll collapse the side of the case where the bullet snags the brass.

Buy a Lyman "M" neck expander die for the cartridge you'll be loading. It has a special neck expander that will properly size the case neck and will give a very small bell at the case mouth to help you get the bullet started without lead shaving.

Regards,

Stew

buck1
10-07-2007, 12:30 PM
All good advice! I find that unlike jacketed bullets cast boolits like to touch the lands. BUT be carefull to reduce load and work up slowly to aviod unwanted pressure spikes. And a good crimp is needed to avoid pulling the boolit when unloading.
Also Bullshop is a great choice, but you need to hurry your order in as I think he will be shutting down for the winter very soon if not already. ....Buck