PDA

View Full Version : Need 1911 frame

WARD O
07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I have the top half of a previously owned Colt 38 Super along with extra grips and plenty of mags - and was thinking it would be nice to put it together as a gun.

Where would you suggest one go to find a decent frame to work with??

ward

dsbock
07-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I bought a frame and slide from Caspian Arms (http://www.caspianarmsltd.com/). Great people to do business with.

Remember, we'll need to see pictures of your project as it gets going.

David

tbierley
07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
My friend got a frame from Sarco. The frame they sell is made by Rock Island. They have lifetime warranty and they are good people to deal with. They also sell parts and frames.

Jupiter7
07-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Call remsport. No website. Better than RIA and less than caspian. I believe they have stainless frames on sale with front strap treatment for $195 right now.

Here's the #

Call to order 413 579 1994 John

seagiant
07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi,
I like Caspian frames,but have a friend that is a gunsmith and he uses the Rock Islands from Sarco! If you get one from Sarco make sure it is NOT a second or Blem!

Here is a 1911 I built using a Caspian frame w/a Brazilian Army slide made by Colt in Hartford,Conn. It has a production run over S&W 5" barrel with a mix of GI parts and Ed Brown. I lapped in the slide and then squeezed/tightened the slide rails and relapped. Checkered the front strap, MSH and seratted the back of the slide 40lpi to match the back of the rear sight which is a retro Yost 10-8 sight. Took all the sharp edges off and then slow rust blued,finished off with a set of Ebony Ahern grips!

There is a lot you can do with just hand tools if you are good with your hands and don't mind learning!

Jupiter7
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
^^^^^

That's the way I like my 1911's. Simple, reliable and classy. All a man really needs in a fighting pistol. What ambi GI style safety is that? I'm a righty but like options.

seagiant
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
^^^^^

That's the way I like my 1911's. Simple, reliable and classy. All a man really needs in a fighting pistol. What ambi GI style safety is that? I'm a righty but like options.

Hi,
That's a John Masen from Brownell's,my aim in building the pistol was to go retro as I was using an Army 45 slide. Of course I did a few upgrades as I was building the pistol for myself! If you do use this ambi safety be advised it is probably the cheapest one out there and needs to be fitted not only to the sear but also to the spring plunger so you get a good on/off click when you use it! This one actually works great after the fitting and will stay where it's at! The good thing is it looks good on a retro build! Oh yea I'm a lefty!

xacex
07-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I like the Caspian frames, but the last one I bought was a Foster which is a branch of Caspian to save some money. They are the same frames, but feature a blemish somewhere. I couldn't find it.

http://www.fosterind.com/